Godzilla's More Unconventional Crossovers

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Out of these three options, which sounds like the more interesting story to you?

Godzilla vs. Dracula
11%
Godzilla vs. Frankenstein
30%
Godzilla vs. Cthulhu
59%

Total votes: 27

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla's More Unconventional Crossovers

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:44 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:37 pm The very idea of Godzilla vs Cthulhu gives me cancer. No thanks.
NGL i'm pretty curious to see why you feel this way.
Because Lovecraft's stories don't emphasize spectacle and fiery destruction like most kaiju properties. They emphasize fear of the unknown, of the things that might lurk in the hidden corners of the universe. His stories are slowly paced, mysterious, often dream-like, quiet and subdued up until the climax. Cthulhu isn't a buff omnipotent kaiju with an octopus for a head that eats nuclear bombs for breakfast and makes people go insane when they see him; he's an ancient, unknowable alien thing that's powerful, but still very much mortal.

The closest the Godzilla series has come to a Lovecraftian story is not The Planet Eater. It's Rodan. Or rather, it's the first half of Rodan.

The mystery, the slow escalation of horror as more discoveries are made, the gradual pace building up to the final reveal of Rodan hatching. THAT is what Lovecraft is about, not omnipotent space monsters that eat planets.

The reason Cthulhu vs Godzilla wouldn't work is the very same reason why Rodan stops being a Lovecraftain-style story after the first half. After the reveal of the baby Rodan, it switches gears into becoming a typical disaster movie. Anything Lovecraftian about the movie flies right out the window, never to be seen again, because Lovecraft isn't about spectacle.

And Cthulhu vs Godzilla, like any versus movie, is spectacle.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla vs Giant Claw when? Godzilla vs Tarantula? Godzilla vs Them!? Godzilla vs Ymir? Hello?
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:59 pm Godzilla vs Giant Claw when? Godzilla vs Tarantula? Godzilla vs Them!? Godzilla vs Ymir? Hello?
With that antimatter shield and bigger size, La Carcagne would make a better bird opponent. It'd be interesting to see.

Godzilla has already fought big spiders, but the king having to face a colony of giant ants sounds better. If you increase the number of ants, then you could create a scene similar to what was in Gamera 2, with ants crawling all over Godzilla.

The Ymir is a favorite Harryhausen creation, but Toho might have a hard time getting the right to use the Ymir. I think Sony currently owns the film and character, and they might ask for more money than Toho wants to pay.

If you want to go the 1950s route, then there's plenty to choose from. I once saw art that depicted Godzilla facing the huge robot from the film Kronos.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:51 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:59 pm Godzilla vs Giant Claw when? Godzilla vs Tarantula? Godzilla vs Them!? Godzilla vs Ymir? Hello?
With that antimatter shield and bigger size, La Carcagne would make a better bird opponent. It'd be interesting to see.

Godzilla has already fought big spiders, but the king having to face a colony of giant ants sounds better. If you increase the number of ants, then you could create a scene similar to what was in Gamera 2, with ants crawling all over Godzilla.

The Ymir is a favorite Harryhausen creation, but Toho might have a hard time getting the right to use the Ymir. I think Sony currently owns the film and character, and they might ask for more money than Toho wants to pay.

If you want to go the 1950s route, then there's plenty to choose from. I once saw art that depicted Godzilla facing the huge robot from the film Kronos.

These were mostly joke suggestions but Them and La Carcagne could actually make interesting opponents.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:12 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:44 pm
Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:37 pm The very idea of Godzilla vs Cthulhu gives me cancer. No thanks.
NGL i'm pretty curious to see why you feel this way.
Because Lovecraft's stories don't emphasize spectacle and fiery destruction like most kaiju properties. They emphasize fear of the unknown, of the things that might lurk in the hidden corners of the universe. His stories are slowly paced, mysterious, often dream-like, quiet and subdued up until the climax. Cthulhu isn't a buff omnipotent kaiju with an octopus for a head that eats nuclear bombs for breakfast and makes people go insane when they see him; he's an ancient, unknowable alien thing that's powerful, but still very much mortal.

The closest the Godzilla series has come to a Lovecraftian story is not The Planet Eater. It's Rodan. Or rather, it's the first half of Rodan.

The mystery, the slow escalation of horror as more discoveries are made, the gradual pace building up to the final reveal of Rodan hatching. THAT is what Lovecraft is about, not omnipotent space monsters that eat planets.

The reason Cthulhu vs Godzilla wouldn't work is the very same reason why Rodan stops being a Lovecraftain-style story after the first half. After the reveal of the baby Rodan, it switches gears into becoming a typical disaster movie. Anything Lovecraftian about the movie flies right out the window, never to be seen again, because Lovecraft isn't about spectacle.

And Cthulhu vs Godzilla, like any versus movie, is spectacle.
In At the Mountains of Madness, the inhabitants of R'lyeh instead treated as just one of many alien races in Earth's prehistory, fighting biotech space-Amish fern-echinoderm. Lovecraft also did work on comedy stories, so I think you might be treating Cthulhu with more purity.

'Let's Read: everything Howard Phillips Lovecraft ever wrote" on sufficient velocity forums also has an interesting analysis of the flaws of Cthulhu's story at evoking what you mention. [Though I think the point]

Not to say I don't disagree with takes on Cthulhu that make them flesh and blood.

Though, I will state that Cthulhu fighting Godzilla is dumb though for one reason: its like expecting the mayor of a city to personally fight an intruder. Cthulhu has others to do that for them, unless left no choice.

Only the tip of Cthulhu’s penthouse* surfaced above the waves. The true vastness of R’lyeh is unknown.

Who knows what sort of horrors and warbeasts lay deeper for Cthulhu to call upon?

So I think Godzilla vs Cthulhu can respectfully fit with Lovecraft's writing circle, who often borrowed and tinkered with each other's creations, if played as like Conan the Barbarian against a sorceror.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

GODZILLA:WAR OF THE WORLDS. In Steven Speilberg's 2005 take on H.G. Wells alien invasion. The director mentioned in the scene where people are making their way to ferry. You people discussing the various rumor of news that they've picked up. One man mentions that in Japan, they've had better luck dealing with the alien invaders and their Tripod war machines. The director himself said that the reason the Japanese had been making headway against the invaders' tech, and successfully bringing them down was the JSDF's maser cannons. Used to combat their kaiju menace, their energy blasts ,unlike the projectiles most militaries use, go through the Tripods' shields, ,hit them, and successfully bring down their war machines. Picture it, when the Martians lay siege to our little blue sphere. Their attack attracts the attention of the Big-G ,and no doubt their initial encounter goes like with think it would. Thus provoking Godzilla to attack the Martians. The Tripods about the same height as the King of the Monsters, setting up for one hell of a fight.

Godzilla Vs.Nessie . Since Toho and Hammer's joint production featuring daikaiju sized Loch Ness Monster on the rampage across the Pacific after leaving the confines of Loch Ness, fell through. And seeing sketches of what NESSIE'S title beast would've looked like. Not too mention a bunch professional artists for the 2019 G-Fest making their own artwork showing the beast in action. I'm a bit surprised Toho didn't do GVN themselves. Or Legendary prominently featuring Nessie in King of the Monsters emerging during Ghidorah's call.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

What if Godzilla and the Arabian adventurer, Sinbad, met? The original stories featured monsters, as have the Harryhausen films. A sorcerer seeks to destroy the world, and uses an amulet to call forth evil kaiju to attack man. Sinbad learns from a wise man about a second amulet that calls forth guardian kaiju that can protect man. The sorcerer sends some of the evil kaiju after Sinbad and crew, but he manages to get the amulet and releases the guardians. Godzilla and others fight to protect man as Sinbad does battle with the sorcerer.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I posted this long ago, but I always thought Godzilla should crossover with Star Trek. Preferably in comics form. To me, Godzilla and Star Trek were both born out of a lot of the same ideas, mainly that of a post WW2 Anti-War era. Both are iconic, and have had a large impact on modern popular culture, but usually are relegated to elevated cult status, and up until recently haven't been in the limelight like Star Wars/DC/Marvel/whatever is currently is popular. They've both had many incarnations over the years, that have ranged in tone and message. While both usually have deep messages, both TOS and the Showa Godzilla era have a great deal of camp. They also overlap in their creation: Late Showa was when TOS debuted.

As for the plot, well, Star Trek has a lot of bullshit, and continuity isn't super important. Could be a continuation of IOTAM, wherein the people of Planet X "escape into the future", and rather than blow up, literally do. Using their signal/way they controlled the monsters in IOTAM, they control some new monster and reactivate the remnants of the old Planet X army, that has been hidden by super secret tech or some bullshit. Godzilla can be warped into the plot somehow, and fight alongside the Enterprise/whatever ship and it can even have a peaceful ending with the people of Planet X. Who knows.

This is pretty much the only unconventional crossover I'd ever want, because well, it isn't that unconventional when you think about it and there's a lot of crossover if you want to think about it. Doesn't even have to be the people of the Planet X, could be the Space Nebulans or Black hole people. Hell, if you want to get into some real bullshit, it would be super easy to make/retcon the Crystalline Entity into SG's original form/the thing that absorbed Godzilla's DNA.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:56 am I posted this long ago, but I always thought Godzilla should crossover with Star Trek. Preferably in comics form. To me, Godzilla and Star Trek were both born out of a lot of the same ideas, mainly that of a post WW2 Anti-War era. Both are iconic, and have had a large impact on modern popular culture, but usually are relegated to elevated cult status, and up until recently haven't been in the limelight like Star Wars/DC/Marvel/whatever is currently is popular. They've both had many incarnations over the years, that have ranged in tone and message. While both usually have deep messages, both TOS and the Showa Godzilla era have a great deal of camp. They also overlap in their creation: Late Showa was when TOS debuted.

As for the plot, well, Star Trek has a lot of bullshit, and continuity isn't super important. Could be a continuation of IOTAM, wherein the people of Planet X "escape into the future", and rather than blow up, literally do. Using their signal/way they controlled the monsters in IOTAM, they control some new monster and reactivate the remnants of the old Planet X army, that has been hidden by super secret tech or some bullshit. Godzilla can be warped into the plot somehow, and fight alongside the Enterprise/whatever ship and it can even have a peaceful ending with the people of Planet X. Who knows.

This is pretty much the only unconventional crossover I'd ever want, because well, it isn't that unconventional when you think about it and there's a lot of crossover if you want to think about it. Doesn't even have to be the people of the Planet X, could be the Space Nebulans or Black hole people. Hell, if you want to get into some real bullshit, it would be super easy to make/retcon the Crystalline Entity into SG's original form/the thing that absorbed Godzilla's DNA.
I too have suggested exactly those kind of things.
Personally, I'd retcon/reconcile continuities by having that the Xilliens or any other previously hostile aliens of Godzilla be in the Federation or starting to be integrated into it. On a similar note, I'd have the kaiju's appearences in the late 20th century cause political and economic tensions that helped lead to WWIII.

My scenario? Basically in the early 21st century some human machine zapped Godzilla and at least one other monster into space and into orbit of another planet, sending them into a torpor state. When the Enterprise stumbles across it, their study of it inevitably awakens it.

lets face it, the main draw of a Godzilla-Star Trek crossover would be Ghidorah vs. the Enterprise.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Godzilla Meets the Ghostbusters
-A string of attacks during a storm in the dead of night lay waste to residents along the Pacific Islands, and it is believed Godzilla is responsible. However, the Ghostbusters believe there to be a more supernatural presence behind the thing, a ghost to the scale of anything they had seen up to that point. And one that they cannot take on alone, as Godzilla has also sensed and been tracking this anomaly leading to a confrontation in New York City.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

godjacob wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:43 pm Godzilla Meets the Ghostbusters
-A string of attacks during a storm in the dead of night lay waste to residents along the Pacific Islands, and it is believed Godzilla is responsible. However, the Ghostbusters believe there to be a more supernatural presence behind the thing, a ghost to the scale of anything they had seen up to that point. And one that they cannot take on alone, as Godzilla has also sensed and been tracking this anomaly leading to a confrontation in New York City.
And of course, they have to deal with the real culprit, the ghost of a kaiju (maybe even the original Godzilla). Meanwhile, you get a new member of japanese descent, and he's a bit more open to the idea of benevolent ghosts like his ancestors believed in.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I remember a scene from Ghostbusters 2 when the slime rises up, causing chaos throughout the city. A huge ghost like creature appears near some arch and growls.

I know it will never happen, but a Dune cross over could be fun. Dune has psychics, like the Heisei period, and seeing Godzilla tackle an Arrakis worm would be a highlight.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla vs The Terminator. I know it'll never happen but god it would be glorious. Skynet finds a dormant Godzilla and injects a mind control device into him. The Resistance finds a way to disable the device, resulting in Skynet constructing a Godzilla Terminator as a back-up plan to kill the real deal now that he was no longer of use to them. John Connor, The Resistance and a reprogrammed T-800 launch an assault on Skynet's central core as Godzilla and the Godzilla Terminator duke it out.

Godzilla and The Resistance are losing horribly, but the reprogrammed T-800 sacrifices itself to destroy Skynet, resulting in "MechaGodzilla" malfunctioning and allowing Godzilla to deal the killing blow. However Skynet activates a back-up copy of itself aboard an orbiting sattelite...

There's probably a way to include time travel and other kaiju, but this is just a really basic outline
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns