Godzilla's More Unconventional Crossovers

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Out of these three options, which sounds like the more interesting story to you?

Godzilla vs. Dracula
11%
Godzilla vs. Frankenstein
30%
Godzilla vs. Cthulhu
59%

Total votes: 27

Gigantis
Sazer

Godzilla's More Unconventional Crossovers

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla ever actually crossing over with other franchises (not really counting Rodan and Mothra, who have pretty much been absorbed into his own) are pretty rare treats, and i feel like they really shouldn't become a common thing with this franchise. However, when most people think of Godzilla meeting another monster, they think of other big Japanese icons like Gamera, Ultraman, Evangelion etc.. But what if we go a bit more outside the box? This thread's made to discuss crossovers that would perhaps be more unconventional with the Godzilla franchise, but could still see the King of the Monsters face off against another well known icon. (though ironically, easier to pull off since all of them are in public domain. :lol: ) Let's start off with what could easily be seen as the weirdest choice of the list.

Godzilla vs. Dracula

.. Yeah okay i know what you're thinking: "how the heck could this movie even work?" Honestly that's the same thing i was wondering when i first heard of the idea. BUT, i think there's a way that i can actually work. Dracula is always a scheming figure, always trying to be one step ahead of everybody else so he can accomplish his goal, but Godzilla would act as a pretty bit wrench in whatever plan he would have cooking up. So, what if he tries making his own monster to counter him? Whether it be via some summoning of a giant bat monster from the deepest, depths of hell, (think of it kinda looking like a giant version of Man-Bat from the DC universe) or making some weird vampire-Godzilla hybrid by mixing his DNA with Godzilla's. While Godzilla deals with the monster, the human cast can still try to deal with Dracula himself.

Godzilla vs. Frankenstein

This is one Toho actually tried tackling back int he 60's, but it never came to pass. Still, there's nothing stopping them from really revisiting the concept. I think there's actually two different design choices Frankenstein could go actually, depending on what alignment both monsters are on: if Godzilla's the hero here, (or just the lesser of two evils, like the 60's draft proposed) Frankenstein could have a more ugly design to match! Think something more along the lines of the King Kong vs. Prometheus drafts, where the monster was created by being created by being sewn animal parts melded together; and the end result of that could actually be something really ugly looking. If they have Frankenstein be the good guy though, we could bring back the more humanoid form he usually has, since it's easier for the audience to sympathize with him that way.

Godzilla vs. Cthulhu

For our last stop here, we look at Godzilla going up against someone who could also technically be called his fellow kaiju. (though i'd argue Cthulhu's a bit more.. out there to really just be called that) The closest this franchise ahs ever really gotten to a Lovecraftian tone was with The Planet Eater and Ghidorah, but most would call that a rather disappointing result. Soooo, why don't we try it again, but with an actual Lovecraft creation? Imagine some of Planet Eater's best bits, reimagined to fit perhaps a cult for Cthulhu, and having Godzilla try to set out and stop him. Maybe have them battle in the sunken city of R'lyeh before coming ashore and destroying the entire city with their fight. Maybe the end result of it all is the fact that neither of them can really actually "die", and their battle is the personification of what happens when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object. Maybe even some other creations of Lovecraft like Nyaralethotep can come into play?

Well, that's pretty much every "unconventional" Godzilla crossover i've seen suggested. Do you like the sound of them, and is their a couple i might've missed?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla's More Unconventional Crossovers

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I'd be a sucker for watching Godzilla kick Dracula's ass.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Godzilla and Frankenstein, totally. I'd love Toho Frankenstein to come back.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

For me it’s Cthulhu. The idea of Godzilla fighting a god like being that is more ancient than Godzilla himself, just sounds fascinating for me there’s so much stuff you can do with Cthulhu then Frankenstein and Dracula.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Someone actually made a very interesting idea for how a Godzillla vs. Dracula film could go, titled Godzilla vs. Plague-Bringer Nosferatu, where Dracula, or rather Count Orlock, becomes a giant monster.

A Godzilla vs. Cthulu work is interesting IMO because both works contains themes of how insignificant man is compared to many things incomphrnsionable to us and critical of many human endeavours because of such IIRC. Of course, Godzilla is more optimistic for humanity versus Lovecraft's mythos. Though TBH, I've never been that interested the latter due to how much coded xenophobia and bigotry is infamously in it as is its overly bleak atmosphere.

Added in 27 minutes 20 seconds:
Thirdly, yeah there are lot couple more stuff you've missed. Some of them sre:

- Godzilla vs. the Mummy - Mostly because I love egyptian mythology, and and i've evan made my own concept up.
- Godzilla vs. Gill-Man - Continuing the Classic Movie Monsters theme.
- Godzilla Vs. The Invisble Man - Same as above. Maybe the invisibility potion has some very severe side effects.
- Godzilla vs. Sherlock Holmes - Because why the skreonk not? In all seriousness, you could help segue things in with other works of Arthur Conan Doyle: there's Professor Challenger; works feature him that feature a lot more out there stuff then Sherlock's, like The Poison Belt, in which a belt of poisonous ether engulfs earth, or The Land of Mist, which deals with the spirit world, and of course The Lost World. There's The Horror of the Heights, which is about an entire ecosystem of monsters dwelling in the sky. There's stuff in the Holmes canon like a real Hound of the Baskervilles or a giant lion's mane jellyfish (Holmes fans will know what I mean). That's without the bevy of british folklore you could use or sea monster sightings of the time.
- Godzilla Vs. Bigfoot - I'm getting desperate now, aren't I?
- Godzilla vs. Star Trek - Just imagine if IDW did this when they had the licences to both. Between Ghidorah, Gigan, and a bevy of alien races, it would be interesting to see how they could fit the Cold War-set alien stuff of Godzilla into Star Wars' history.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 am Someone actually made a very interesting idea for how a Godzillla vs. Dracula film could go, titled Godzilla vs. Plague-Bringer Nosferatu, where Dracula, or rather Count Orlock, becomes a giant monster.

A Godzilla vs. Cthulu work is interesting IMO because both works contains themes of how insignificant man is compared to many things incomphrnsionable to us and critical of many human endeavours because of such IIRC. Of course, Godzilla is more optimistic for humanity versus Lovecraft's mythos. Though TBH, I've never been that interested the latter due to how much coded xenophobia and bigotry is infamously in it as is its overly bleak atmosphere.

Added in 27 minutes 20 seconds:
Thirdly, yeah there are lot couple more stuff you've missed. Some of them sre:

- Godzilla vs. the Mummy - Mostly because I love egyptian mythology, and and i've evan made my own concept up.
- Godzilla Vs. The Invisble Man - Same as above. Maybe the invisibility potion has some very severe side effects.
- Godzilla vs. Sherlock Holmes - Because why the skreonk not? In all seriousness, you could help segue things in with other works of Arthur Conan Doyle: there's Professor Challenger; works feature him that feature a lot more out there stuff then Sherlock's, like The Poison Belt, in which a belt of poisonous ether engulfs earth, or The Land of Mist, which deals with the spirit world, and of course The Lost World. There's The Horror of the Heights, which is about an entire ecosystem of monsters dwelling in the sky. There's stuff in the Holmes canon like a real Hound of the Baskervilles or a giant lion's mane jellyfish (Holmes fans will know what I mean). That's without the bevy of british folklore you could use or sea monster sightings of the time.
- Godzilla Vs. Bigfoot - I'm getting desperate now, aren't I?
- Godzilla vs. Star Trek - Just imagine if IDW did this when they had the licences to both. Between Ghidorah, Gigan, and a bevy of alien races, it would be interesting to see how they could fit the Cold War-set alien stuff of Godzilla into Star Wars' history.
Star Wars? You mean Star Trek!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:40 amStar Wars? You mean Star Trek!
Nah, I mean stuff like either public domain or due to the history of them had a feasible chance of actually hepping, hence why I put Star Trek example.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I had an idea for Godzilla meeting a vampire like kaiju. A man is bitten by a bat contaminated by chemical waste, and he begins killing to get the blood he craves. When the man drinks a sample of Godzilla blood, he mutates into a giant bat like kaiju. It's not Dracula per say, but it's close enough. I could also see Godzilla going against a mummy. Maybe have the mummy be an alien, like in the movie Timewalker.

For the most unconventional, I think this tops them all; Godzilla vs NCIS. When a sub transporting a nuclear weapon goes missing, the investigators are called in to help. They end up facing mercenaries hired to get the weapon and the king of the monsters. To survive, the two teams have to work together.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 am - Godzilla vs. the Mummy - Mostly because I love egyptian mythology, and and i've evan made my own concept up.
In all honesty, Godzilla going to Egypt and fighting some sort of Egyptian themed Mummy monster sounds awesome, as does the idea of Godzilla vs. Gill-Man actually! I could see the latter being a more "down to earth" Godzilla film, kind of like Son of Godzilla. It's no world ending threat, but getting caught in the crossfire between two sea monsters is still something to worry about.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:20 pm
Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 am - Godzilla vs. the Mummy - Mostly because I love egyptian mythology, and and i've even made my own concept up.
In all honesty, Godzilla going to Egypt and fighting some sort of Egyptian themed Mummy monster sounds awesome, as does the idea of Godzilla vs. Gill-Man actually! I could see the latter being a more "down to earth" Godzilla film, kind of like Son of Godzilla. It's no world ending threat, but getting caught in the crossfire between two sea monsters is still something to worry about.
Thanks. TBH, I didn't put Godzilla Vs. Werewolf because technically that's already a thing.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:20 pm
Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:33 am - Godzilla vs. the Mummy - Mostly because I love egyptian mythology, and and i've evan made my own concept up.
It also gives us another underwater fight. We don't see many of those in the Godzilla films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

This would be more of a domestic story, but how about Godzilla vs. the Yokai monsters? I'm ignorant about the Yokai mythologies, but you could have Godzilla play an antagonist role here and have the plot be that religious people in Japan start turning to super natural means after seeing science fail against Godzilla. It could also have some fun narratives themes of Japan embracing its past again. Also Toho can continue the emotionless terror of destruction interpretation of Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

One idea I just had: Godzilla Vs. Paul Bunyan - A crossover with monsters based off any one of the fearsome critters as well as the titular giant lumberjack and giant ox. Unlike most versions, this would be a much more villainous character who thinks nothing of destroying the environment and driving fauna native cultures to extinction in favour of "progress" for white people. They got sealed away, but now they've emerged and want vengeance on the world for trying undo what he did. Godzilla represents environmentalism and nature fighting back.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzilla and Captain Marvel vs Thanos' armies and King Ghidorah.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If you want to go comic book characters, how about Wonder Woman and Giganta? Giganta could easily match Godzilla in size.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

At least the first three properties are in the public domain.

Toho wouldn't have copyright and money issues like they had with Kong.

Easiest path for Cthulu would probably be an anime, maybe by the guy who did Akira and House.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Alright, so here's an idea; we've already seen Godzilla tackle other mythologies in the Rage Across Time comics from IDW.. but what if we expand that idea? A period piece Godzilla movie is in a lot of people's interest, so why not see him get thrown into the Titanomachy and take on the Titans, ending off with a massive, final battle against Cronus/Kronos/Kronus/Cronos? (whatever tf his name is) Or see him in Ragnarok and fight Fenrir and Jormungandr?

Godzillander
Yojimbo

Post by Godzillander »

I've had this one in mind for a while, but a Godzilla vs Star Wars crossover would be cool. It could be a tie-in to the Zillo Beast episode from TCW Season 2 where the Star Destroyer carrying the beast back to Coruscant (with all our main characters aboard, naturally) gets pulled into a hyperspace anomaly landing them on Toho's Earth. We could even have it go both ways, and see Godzilla and co. go to the SW universe and trash things. We could also get the typical Star Wars plot of having to sneak into some technological superweapon/fortress and disable a shield/cannon/what have you transferred to a Toho creation like MechaG or a Kaiju mind control device. The various Toho alien races (Kilaaks, Nebula Space Hunter M, Xilliens, and Black Hole aliens) explained as residents of the SW galaxy.

Alternatively, I think Godzilla and a few other monsters would be cool to see integrated into the Tolkien Legendarium. There could be a different monster for each faction in The War Of The Ring. Kong would be non-affiliated at first (preferring to keep to hinself in the wild of Middle Earth), but would provide important aid to the heroes at times of need like The Ents, Tom Bombadil, or The Eagles. Mothra would be the most purely good Kaiju, being affiliated with the Elves. But like them, her power is fading and can only help sparingly. Mechagodzilla, given Tolkien's dim view of technology and industrialization, would be a creation of Saruman to aid the Uruk-Hai in sieging Helm's Deep, before ultimately being destroyed as a result of his master's hubris. Godzilla and Rodan would probably fight for Sauron, but not out of legitimate evil. Like the Haradrim, Southrons, and Easterlings, they would be victims of the Dark Lord's lies, exploiting their legitmate grievances against the heirs of Numenor for personal gain. Ghidorah of course, would be the monster who IS pure evil, the last surviving Dragon of Morgoth.
Last edited by Godzillander on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The very idea of Godzilla vs Cthulhu gives me cancer. No thanks.

Of the three options presented, Frankenstein is the one that's most thematically relevant to Godzilla. Both are science fiction stories about the hubris of mankind. One is a story about science being used to create life; the other is a story about science being used to create death on a massive scale. In one story it is a scientist without any sense of personal responsibility that is the cause for the monster's rampage; in the other story a scientist takes responsibility for his creation and makes the ultimate sacrifice to ensure it can never be misused.

Godzilla and Frankenstein are arguably more complimentary than Godzilla and King Kong. And when you factor in that Toho was already making Frankenstein movies in the 1960s, it's not hard to imagine an alternate timeline where we got a crossover.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:37 pm The very idea of Godzilla vs Cthulhu gives me cancer. No thanks.
NGL i'm pretty curious to see why you feel this way.