Would it be a good idea if King Ghidorah have a religious cult In future films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Would it be a good idea if King Ghidorah have a religious cult In future films

Post by Thatguy4683 »

As the title said Would it be a good idea if King Ghidorah have a religious cult in future films

Personally I think it’s a good idea but I would like to know your thoughts
If you think it’s good explain why
If you wanted to you can also explain how will they act too
If you don’t think it’s a good idea you can also explain why it doesn’t work
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Would it be a good idea if King Ghidorah have a religious cult In future films

Post by Gigantis »

TBH it kinda already happened with Planet Eater.

If they do it again though, they need to get weird with it. I'm talking about "Gods Godzilla" level of weird, have them somehow control people into following them via Ghidorah's eye's letting them hallucinate like crazy and then the main follower climbs up his body as he crouches like the sphinx.. well, until Godzilla finally get's sick of this sh*t and just blast them all to high heaven.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Would it be a good idea if King Ghidorah have a religious cult In future films

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:02 pm TBH it kinda already happened with Planet Eater.

If they do it again though, they need to get weird with it. I'm talking about "Gods Godzilla" level of weird, have them somehow control people into following them via Ghidorah's eye's letting them hallucinate like crazy
I sort of have the same idea to but a more violent approach if you give me A choice that I can make a cult for Ghidorah, i’ll probably be something like Unitologist Cult in Dead Space 3 awakened DLC
For example https://youtu.be/lQmNStk58Bo
And have the main protagonist hallucinate about three headed humanoids with Bloody Claw

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Hell yes. Ghidorah and his death cult were one of the few things I liked about the Anime trilogy. Considering we have religions that literally worship Satan, a cult dedicated to the worship of an extraterrestrial/extradimensional apocalypse monster isn't too far fetched.

I do hope they keep the eldrich horror aspect that Anime Ghidorah had if they go this route though. The scene where the cultists self-sacrifice themselves to Ghidorah who literally eats their shadows is still pretty unsettling.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

They already succeeded once, why not do it again?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I suppose it might work. You have a group that is preparing for the end of the world, and they believe the end will be announced by the arrival of the dragon god, Ghidorah. When Ghidorah does show up, the group uses violence and mind games to convince people that there's nothing to do and they should accept the coming destruction. This would lead the military and our leads into a side war with the group, culminating when the group tries to sacrifice one of the leads to their dragon god.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Absolutely! It's something that I really think should be done more in general and not just with Ghidorah.

We've had shades of this before already: the Exif's death cult from the Polygon trilogy, Mothra's more benign even outright benevolent religion, the ancient civilizations in the MonserVerse that worshiped and/or feared the Titans, and Pacific Rim's Kaiju Cults all come straight to mind. But we only ever got small tastes of them, especially with Pacific Rim. I think that it's a really cool idea and one that honestly makes perfect sense in the real world. These are creatures that break the very laws of nature just by existing, of course there would be people that see them as harbinger or portent of other gods or outright gods themselves. Run the full breath of good, benign, evil, and fully dangerous death cults.

You can have them leave each other mostly alone. Holy wars based on which kaiju they worship or think of as devils. The death cults could try to sacrifice people to their gods by trying to get them to attack certain places (lure them there by some means), perhaps even try to be one the victims themselves in some kind of twisted sacrament. So much potential. I really love this kind of aspect of human nature and I think that it is one that both fits logically into the kaiju genre and is criminally underrepresented within it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

If they're going to go this this route again, they need to have some sort of incentive for people to worship Ghidorah. Either gaining supernatural boons from doing so (or an illusion of such) or being spared from his wrath while other worlds get destroyed. Planet' Eater's cult had no compelling reason to do what they did. "Worship the space noodle monster because everything's pointless and we're all going to die" is not engaging.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I wouldn't mind seeing it again. A cult seems like good human drama.

Imagine Midsommer, Wicker Man, Mandy, and other cult movies, but with kaiju. Seems awesome.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Yeah I am definitely up for a cult in a future movie. Add a bit of fear in film, give a horror angle.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

This was an idea I absolutely loved from Planet Eater, Ghidorah was such a cool concept when he was first indroduced: A threat from beyond the vastness of space that could only be stopped by the combined might of the strongest creatures Earth had to offer

Unfortunately after his debut Ghidorah would suffer from villain decay pretty hard as subsequent appearances would have Ghidorah just be a mind controlled lackey that was to be killed or sent off back into space rinse and repeat

Giving Ghidorah a cult of worshippers was genius as it put a spin on the old formula with the alien invaders being HIS sacrificial pawns and adding a Lovecraft-esque vibe to emphasize the horror part of Ghidorah’s cosmic horror origins