What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Kaiju attacking well-known landmarks have always been a staple of the kaiju genre no matter what. In Japan its often the Diet Building or japanese castles, in rhe US its either the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Empire State or Crystler Building in NYC, or the Capitol or Washington Monument in DC. But tell me, what other world landmarks, or cities as a whole, could you imagine lending itself well to having the honour of being destroyed by a kaiju?

I for one have imagined a giant ape swinging amongst some of the huge bridges of Appalachia such as Kinzua of Pennsylvania, or CN Tower being used to impale a kaiju in Toronto, Ontario.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Detroit.
I wanna see the RenCen knocked over, Joe Louis get a more dignified demolition, etc etc.
Also Godzilla turn to the screen with a big bottle of Pineapple Faygo, wink, and throw a thumbs up as he chugs it in one drink.
Whoop whoop.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

A kaiju tearing down both of Cleveland's buildings would be fun to see. I've always wanted to see one attack Cedar Point, too, just wade in from Lake Erie and rip through all those towering roller coasters.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I’ve always wanted to see a kaiju in Dubai, mainly because of the existence of the Burj Khalifa. And Disney World, which I know will never happen, but goddamnit it’d be great.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kaiju at the Burj would be so great, mainly because it’s the only thing in the area not only taller than the kaiju, but towers over them.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm I’ve always wanted to see a kaiju in Dubai, mainly because of the existence of the Burj Khalifa. And Disney World, which I know will never happen, but goddamnit it’d be great.
The idea of King Ghidorah standing on the top of Burj Khalifa is lightning rains down on the rest of Dubai speaks to my soul.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:19 pm A kaiju tearing down both of Cleveland's buildings would be fun to see. I've always wanted to see one attack Cedar Point, too, just wade in from Lake Erie and rip through all those towering roller coasters.
Cleveland has two buildings?
(In all seriousness, I would love to see a kaiju tearing up Cedar Point, as somebody gets yeeted off the Dragster at em.)
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Dagarah &or Zilla in Australia again.
Zilla & or Gabara/Salunga in Rio De Janeiro

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It would be cool to see Godzilla attack Cairo and destroy the pyramids.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Brooklyn. It’s annoying how despite being a major city, anytime a monster attacks NYC it only gets a passing mention because of Manhattan. Lots of potential for a monster to attack Coney Island, or all the train lines that run above ground. Because Brooklyn is flat (relative to Manhattan), this could lead to a lot of interesting size comparisons and visuals from afar. For example, from far rock away, you can see the liberty tower. Do the same but with a monster.

There’s also a lot of unique and easy areas to put military if decide to. For example, prospect park.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:53 pm I’ve always wanted to see a kaiju in Dubai, mainly because of the existence of the Burj Khalifa. And Disney World, which I know will never happen, but goddamnit it’d be great.
The structure is in Godzilla SP, and it’s weird they showcase it but never do anything with it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I just want a live action film with Godzilla in Kyushu again. It's only happened once, very briefly, in Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. Hokkaido would be nice, too. Or Osaka (sadly neglected in modern kaiju films). Basically, anywhere but Tokyo, Kanagawa, or Chiba prefectures.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Some rural village like my own, if only for a brief moment in a film. I want to see farms burning, etc. Godzilla just destroying the countryside.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Dallas has a couple of buildings that might look good destroyed. The red Pegasus on the Magnolia building would be blown up as Godzilla's beam spans across the city. The Reunion Tower is another. I could see a tail strike or some other physical attack causing the ball on top to crash to the ground.

As far as landmarks go, I've never seen Mt. Rushmore damaged in a kaiju flick. It does happen in Mars Attacks!, but it might be interesting to see a burrowing kaiju like Baragon to be seen tunneling out near the top and defacing the monument.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:02 pm
As far as landmarks go, I've never seen Mt. Rushmore damaged in a kaiju flick. It does happen in Mars Attacks!, but it might be interesting to see a burrowing kaiju like Baragon to be seen tunneling out near the top and defacing the monument.
The Marc Cerasini books had Rodan nesting atop Rushmore at one point.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

- I've pictured kaiju at Canada's Wonderland, my local amusement park towering over the Behemoth rollercoaster and the Windjammer ride.
- I've also seen hindu temples in India and like Uluru and Kata-Tjuta in Australia as kaiju fight sites, though that might be insensitive to respective cultures.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:17 pm - I've also seen hindu temples in India and like Uluru and Kata-Tjuta in Australia as kaiju fight sites, though that might be insensitive to respective cultures.
I mean, if it’s properly portrayed as a tragedy it could be really special to watch. The Vatican or Rome would be another great site to see Kaiju fighting.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Since New York's been done, I'd like to see Godzilla destroy either Washington, D.C., San Francisco or Miami.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm Since New York's been done, I'd like to see Godzilla destroy either Washington, D.C., San Francisco or Miami.
Godzilla 2014?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:54 pm
mikelcho wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:15 pm Since New York's been done, I'd like to see Godzilla destroy either Washington, D.C., San Francisco or Miami.
Godzilla 2014?
KotM?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:50 pm I just want a live action film with Godzilla in Kyushu again. It's only happened once, very briefly, in Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. Hokkaido would be nice, too. Or Osaka (sadly neglected in modern kaiju films). Basically, anywhere but Tokyo, Kanagawa, or Chiba prefectures.
Yeah. After living in Japan for two or three years now, my mind has been opened to how much of the country is neglected, even in modern Japanese media. Lately we have been on a Tokyo splurge, and there's just so many interesting places and cities that have never been done or utilized in films before. Even Gamera 2, utilized an interesting geographical set up, with Legion advancing from the North, and Tokyo sort of being the end. The same could be done with so many places throughout Japan.

Even if SP is guilty of resorting to "Shinjuku Syndrome", I did appreciate how some of it takes place outside of Japan, and even within Japan there's a variation of locales.

Added in 1 minute 31 seconds:
Spuro wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:27 pm
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:54 pm
Godzilla 2014?
KotM?
Godzilla vs. Kong does have a scene in Florida!

Kinda funny to think about that sans New York, and Texas, the Monsterverse overall has had a diverse portrayal of American cities and locations.
G14: Hawaii, Vegas, San Francisco
KOTM: Boston, Washington DC
GvK: Florida
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.