What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:30 pm
Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:50 pm I just want a live action film with Godzilla in Kyushu again. It's only happened once, very briefly, in Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla. Hokkaido would be nice, too. Or Osaka (sadly neglected in modern kaiju films). Basically, anywhere but Tokyo, Kanagawa, or Chiba prefectures.
Yeah. After living in Japan for two or three years now, my mind has been opened to how much of the country is neglected, even in modern Japanese media. Lately we have been on a Tokyo splurge, and there's just so many interesting places and cities that have never been done or utilized in films before. Even Gamera 2, utilized an interesting geographical set up, with Legion advancing from the North, and Tokyo sort of being the end. The same could be done with so many places throughout Japan.

Even if SP is guilty of resorting to "Shinjuku Syndrome", I did appreciate how some of it takes place outside of Japan, and even within Japan there's a variation of locales.
What do Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla have in common? They're the only two Japanese Godzilla films since 1971 in which a monster doesn't appear in the Greater Tokyo Area.

I guess you could argue for the anime trilogy, too, since the future Japan of those movies is devoid of civilization. But still, in at least one of those movies (PotM? I forget...), the anti-Godzilla action occurs in what today is part of that region.

The Gamera trilogy's locales remind me a lot of the more varied sights we saw in the glory days of the genre. Those films also gave us more traditional Japanese day-to-day activities than most Toho kaiju movies have since the '60s.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:48 pm What do Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla have in common? They're the only two Japanese Godzilla films since 1971 in which a monster doesn't appear in the Greater Tokyo Area.

I guess you could argue for the anime trilogy, too, since the future Japan of those movies is devoid of civilization. But still, in at least one of those movies (PotM? I forget...), the anti-Godzilla action occurs in what today is part of that region.

The Gamera trilogy's locales remind me a lot of the more varied sights we saw in the glory days of the genre. Those films also gave us more traditional Japanese day-to-day activities than most Toho kaiju movies have since the '60s.
Didn't consciously realize that about vs. Biollante and vs. SpaceGodzilla as well.

Come to think of it: Rebirth of Mothra and Rebirth of Mothra 2 actually avoid the Greater Tokyo Area, so there's that. Rebirth of Mothra 3 returns to the region, but still sort of avoids it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Did Godzilla hit Tokyo in Megaguiris? The finale was in Osaka, where they moved the Capitol to, if I remember correctly, but I can't remember if it was Tokyo he attacked in the beginning or not.
Also I like "Shinjuku Syndrome" :lol:
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I'd like to see a monster battle in Berlin during the Cold War.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:30 am Did Godzilla hit Tokyo in Megaguiris? The finale was in Osaka, where they moved the Capitol to, if I remember correctly, but I can't remember if it was Tokyo he attacked in the beginning or not.
Also I like "Shinjuku Syndrome" :lol:
Godzilla attacks Osaka in the pre-title sequence, but the final battle and Godzilla's raid on the science center take place in Tokyo (the final battle's in Odaiba, but I don't remember which ward gets DT-nuked). Even if that weren't the case, Megaguirus still fulfills the requisite Tokyo appearance by causing mayhem in the flooded Shibuya.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I maintain that Pensacola in GVK should have been Houston, Texas. More people, and Houston is a known shipping city, so even if it is the exact same scene and the only change is the name, it would have been a fun nod.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Seattle needs to get it more often. Honestly we've never really seen a kaiju attack Los Angeles either. LA has been hit in numerous disaster flix but rarely ever giant monster movies. Same goes for Miami.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Wow, I didn't realize that two of my three cities were even there in the Monsterverse (Pensacola doesn't count, though). I'll have to look again at these films. Thanks for telling me.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:46 am Seattle needs to get it more often. Honestly we've never really seen a kaiju attack Los Angeles either. LA has been hit in numerous disaster flix but rarely ever giant monster movies. Same goes for Miami.
The only one I can name is one of the many Asylum Shark movies. Even I'm not sure of its specific name, though.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 am I'd like to see a monster battle in Berlin during the Cold War.
Like the battle starts in East Berlin, and eventually moves to West Berlin, or vice versa.

As for my contribution, and somewhat related, I’d like to see a Kaiju in Moscow during the Soviet era. Have ‘em face off with the Red Army and their endless hordes of tanks.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:07 am
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 am I'd like to see a monster battle in Berlin during the Cold War.
Like the battle starts in East Berlin, and eventually moves to West Berlin, or vice versa.

As for my contribution, and somewhat related, I’d like to see a Kaiju in Moscow during the Soviet era. Have ‘em face off with the Red Army and their endless hordes of tanks.
Rodan did briefly attack Moscow in DAM, but I agree that a proper rampage with tanks and over-the-top amounts of artillery could be awesome.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

This could be interesting. I'm definitely interested in a Godzilla period film.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Yeah. The Berlin Wall is in chaos, the U.S., British, French and Soviet army are trying to take down the monsters, while also making sure that their tanks and soldiers don't cross the border. That would be interesting to see.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

After watching some playthroughs of the Atari game trilogy, i think it would be pretty cool to see someone try to bring some of the spaceship levels to the silver screen. Seeing Godzilla and Ghidorah fighting on a Xilien spaceship for example could honestly be a really unique thing for a kaiju flick.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You can add Arizona to KoTM. Scylla rose from Sedona and then is seen attacking Phoenix.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:01 pm You can add Arizona to KoTM. Scylla rose from Sedona and then is seen attacking Phoenix.
Wow, I didn't even conceptualize that. I love Sedona and Phoenix so I'll keep an eye out for that next time. Kumonga also attacks Arizona in GFW, but it's just the super desert region and it amounts to nothing more than a trailer. Still cool though.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Beijing: I want to see it crumble...
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Seattle was the first big city I ever visited at age 10, and since then I've always imagined Godzilla in it. Godzilla destroying the Space Needle, I mean c'mon...
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:46 pm Seattle was the first big city I ever visited at age 10, and since then I've always imagined Godzilla in it. Godzilla destroying the Space Needle, I mean c'mon...
He did that in Godzilla, King of the Monsters #2 by Marvel Comics. Of course, in that story he was as tall as it was.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Ooh, Atlanta would be really cool. I can imagine a smaller kaiju climbing up the King and/or Queen tower and then jumping onto the other building, causing them both to collapse under its weight.

Added in 41 seconds:
I know Tiamat probably destroyed Atlanta while under Ghidorah’s influence but we never saw it so…