What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What city/place would you like to see a kaiju at?

Post by edgaguirus »

Adding to the Texas talk, I once went to Corpus Christi, and the drive there took us across this long bridge. I could see Gaira showing up at the bridge and it turning into his personal buffet spread.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

That old Godzilla 3D script had the Big G travel to Niagra Falls. Feel like such a place could really be used to get a sense of scale for a monster.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

TheLastGezora wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:33 am I know we did get to see the Femuto wreck Las Vegas in Godzilla 2014, but I'd love to see a more extended kaiju battle set there, preferably at night. Seeing the Vegas Strip lit up in all its decadent glory with a behemoth battle in the middle would be one hell of a spectacle.

If it helps, the climax of the AVGN movie takes place there and it does have a giant monster wrecking the place.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Probably been said before, but I'd love to see a kaiju fight in Dubai. The Burj Khalifa is big enough to have monsters in the Heisei-Legendary size class (100-150 meters) climb it. Maybe even smaller monsters like the Gargantuas. It'd be cool to see Sanda and Gaira trying to kill each other while scaling the tower.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm At least we see Tiamat get some attention in a comic book.

On topic, has Israel ever been a scene for a kaiju film? I'm not suggesting that Jerusalem be wrecked, as destruction of the Wailing Wall might seem insensitive, but other cities could be targets.
The 2016 found footage, biblical apocalypse film, JeruZalem, set in the city. Featured giant demons fighting it out with the Isrealie military in the streets of the Holy City along with the characters dealing with reanimated dead possessed by demons. However, it fell into the found footage cliché of technical glitches, and the characters running from the scene instead of focusing on the badass kaiju demon action.

Mt. Rushmore had a brief scene in RAMPAGE with Ralph going after some tourist before making a beeline for Chicago. Pittsburgh, PA would make a good site for a kaiju attack. With features like Three Rivers Stadium, and the PPG Building would be excellent targets in a kaiju's rampage.

Also another site which I learned about this week would be Middle Bass Island(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Bass_Island ) located in Lake Erie along the Ohio coast. Lake Erie, along with the other Great Lakes, live up to their title with their size making it quite easy for creatures like Godzilla ,and his ilk to hide in, traverse. And Erie being alongside Erie, PA, and Cleveland Ohio gives the kaiju watery access to these bergs. And with Middle Bass Island with its village community , its famous castle like whinery , and harbors reminds me of a scene in the unpublished Random House novel, GODZILLA & THE LOST CONTINENET.
Last edited by The One and Only on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While I would love to see a kaiju come out of Lake Erie, it's got to be mentioned that the lake is actually very shallow. I don't remember the exact numbers off hand, but I want to say the average depth is only something like twenty feet, and even the deeper points are too shallow to hide a kaiju. They could wade through it, though, I guess.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The likelihood is next to zero, but as a Philadelphian I'd love to see Godzilla visit the city of brotherly love.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Breakdown wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:53 am The likelihood is next to zero, but as a Philadelphian I'd love to see Godzilla visit the city of brotherly love.
Reminds me of Lizadra, that one kaiju adopted by that city in Colossal Kaiju Combat.

Also, ant mention of kaiju in Phillie inevitably make me think of either Godzilla vs. Rocky, or Godzilla vs. Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia gang, which would be something to say the least. Just imagine Mac trying to hijack a bus and blow him up with it.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:23 pm
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:14 pm Has a kaiju ever been at the grand canyon or niagara falls?
Kumonga fought Gigan at the Grand Canyon in Rulers of Earth.
And Godzilla, Red Ronin and Yetrigar fought each other there in Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters #10-11.

UPDATE: I just found out this fact was mentioned earlier. Never mind.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

TheLastGezora wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:33 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:24 am Texas.

Skreeonk that state. I want to see a Kaiju obliterate any city at all in Texas.
Kaiju wouldn't be a problem in Texas, everything's bigger there. ;)

I know we did get to see the Femuto wreck Las Vegas in Godzilla 2014, but I'd love to see a more extended kaiju battle set there, preferably at night. Seeing the Vegas Strip lit up in all its decadent glory with a behemoth battle in the middle would be one hell of a spectacle.

Godzilla destroyed both Las Vegas and Hoover Dam (called by its original name of "Boulder Dam" by mistake) in Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters #9.

Btw, how close to each other are Las Vegas and Hoover Dam? I can't remember if the story got the directions right or wrong.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 am
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:24 am Texas.

Skreeonk that state. I want to see a Kaiju obliterate any city at all in Texas.

I know we did get to see the Femuto wreck Las Vegas in Godzilla 2014, but I'd love to see a more extended kaiju battle set there, preferably at night. Seeing the Vegas Strip lit up in all its decadent glory with a behemoth battle in the middle would be one hell of a spectacle.

Godzilla destroyed both Las Vegas and Hoover Dam (called by its original name of "Boulder Dam" by mistake) in Marvel's Godzilla, King of the Monsters #9.

Btw, how close to each other are Las Vegas and Hoover Dam? I can't remember if the story got the directions right or wrong.
About a 43 minute drive.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:18 am
mikelcho wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:56 am

About a 43 minute drive.
Thanks! Next question: is Hoover Dam located north or south of Las Vegas? That's what I meant in my statement about the directions. Sorry if I wasn't too clear.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

For outside of Japan, Definitely Cario, Egypt.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is the main reason why virtually every post-Showa kaiju film fixated so much on the greater Tokyo region because it's cheap to film there? That is other than how iconic the city is.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:05 pm While I would love to see a kaiju come out of Lake Erie, it's got to be mentioned that the lake is actually very shallow. I don't remember the exact numbers off hand, but I want to say the average depth is only something like twenty feet, and even the deeper points are too shallow to hide a kaiju. They could wade through it, though, I guess.
Actually while one of the shallowest of the Great Lakes, Lake Erie average depth is 62 feet, and 210 at its maximum. Something pretty big can hide itself under the lake's surface along with its own resident lake monster Bessie.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Since we've seen Godzilla and Rodan emerge form volcanoes, It might be interesting to see a kaiju rise from an Icelandic volcano.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 am Since we've seen Godzilla and Rodan emerge form volcanoes, It might be interesting to see a kaiju rise from an Icelandic volcano.
And we get the kaiju based off Norse mythology! Money's on Surtr or Niddhogr.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.