Which is the worst Director to direct a Godzilla movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which is worse

Michael Bay
50%
Shane Black
50%

Total votes: 26

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Which is the worst Director to direct a Godzilla movie

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:31 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:15 pmreading the published behind the scenes stuff, I'm actually kind of shocked at how lowkey racist his problems with Godzilla are.
now you've got me curious
I mean, as I outlined, basically every behind the scene intro has him harping praise over and over for the classic American monster films but giving Japan shit for "not understanding" and being silly, how "a man in a rubber suit was silly" and again how he was doing his own PROPER take on Godzilla.

Reading between the lines, he almost certainly thought Godzilla's style choices were a INTENTIONAL failure because they didn't have the right tech at worst and at best they couldn't PROPERLY make a monster film (read: they can't do the same thing I, a Western man, can so they must be backwards and wrong and I can fix jt).

I need to find some of the actual stuff, I reread it scrolling on Twitter and it kind of blew my mind...

RIP Evan.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:41 pm
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:31 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:15 pmreading the published behind the scenes stuff, I'm actually kind of shocked at how lowkey racist his problems with Godzilla are.
now you've got me curious
I mean, as I outlined, basically every behind the scene intro has him harping praise over and over for the classic American monster films but giving Japan poop for "not understanding" and being silly, how "a man in a rubber suit was silly" and again how he was doing his own PROPER take on Godzilla.

Reading between the lines, he almost certainly thought Godzilla's style choices were a INTENTIONAL failure because they didn't have the right tech at worst and at best they couldn't PROPERLY make a monster film (read: they can't do the same thing I, a Western man, can so they must be backwards and wrong and I can fix jt).

I need to find some of the actual stuff, I reread it scrolling on Twitter and it kind of blew my mind...
Boy, what an ass that makes him. I now respect him and his movies even less.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ok next up is

Uwe Boll
or
Zack Snyder

Disclaimer: don’t harass any of these directors this Forum is just for fun

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:29 pm Ok next up is

Uwe Boll
or
Zack Snyder

Definitely Uwe Boll. Say what you will about Zack Snyder, but at least his films got a signature visual flair and can have pretty epic storytelling at his best (Man of Steel, Snyder Cut Justice League), so a Godzilla film by him would at least try to keep Godzilla epic as he is. I can't even name one thing Uwe does in his films, especially outside of his garbage game "adaptations".

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:10 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:29 pm Ok next up is

Uwe Boll
or
Zack Snyder

Definitely Uwe Boll. Say what you will about Zack Snyder, but at least his films got a signature visual flair and can have pretty epic storytelling at his best (Man of Steel, Snyder Cut Justice League), so a Godzilla film by him would at least try to keep Godzilla epic as he is. I can't even name one thing Uwe does in his films, especially outside of his garbage game "adaptations".
I definitely agree, even though Zack Snyder has been a little edgy with the DCEU, he does a great job with story if he had more time, like Justice League (2021) where he had so much time, the movie was 4 hours, it explain so much

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Lesko wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:54 pmTim Burton would be a great example of the latter. I don't want a lonely Godzilla in a Gothic setting brooding around.
Nah, Burton doing Godzilla would make a lavish 50's/60's B-movie creature feature homage a la Mars Attacks or the Godzilla 2000 dub. Many of us would like it at least.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:51 pm
Lesko wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:54 pmTim Burton would be a great example of the latter. I don't want a lonely Godzilla in a Gothic setting brooding around.
Nah, Burton doing Godzilla would make a lavish 50's/60's B-movie creature feature homage a la Mars Attacks or the Godzilla 2000 dub. Many of us would like it at least.
Yeah plus there that Gamera reference in Frankenweenie, so I think he can do it with respect to the source material

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:12 pm Out of the box pick but Shane Black for me since he hasn't directed anything I like and rewatching the movies he's worked on writing-wise have all been disappointments in some manner.
Shane Black would also be my worst case scenario director. Never got the love for Iron Man 3.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:12 pm Out of the box pick but Shane Black for me since he hasn't directed anything I like and rewatching the movies he's worked on writing-wise have all been disappointments in some manner.
Shane Black would also be my worst case scenario director. Never got the love for Iron Man 3.
I’ll never forgive him for making the Predators from a Extraterrestrial Hunters with a sense of honor in their blood to A generic space alien that Try to take over earth, The Predator 2018 is an abomination for both Yautja and Xenomorph alike

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

If he decides to go that route. Sure. Mars Attacks was pretty amusing. I am just scared that he would try to do something like Batman for Godzilla. It would just be way too out of character. A spoofy movie would fit better with some Godzilla movies particularly the Showa series and the way the MV is headed so far it looks like we're already getting some of that.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 pm
I’ll never forgive him for making the Predators from a Extraterrestrial Hunters with a sense of honor in their blood to A generic space alien that Try to take over earth, The Predator 2018 is an abomination for both Yautja and Xenomorph alike
Siding with you here for sure. That movie completely butchered the legacy of an iconic sci fi monster. The one in the works from what I have heard doesn't sound much better but at least it appears to be getting the character's mannerisms right. The Predator was the worst film of 2018 for me.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Lesko wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:18 pm
If he decides to go that route. Sure. Mars Attacks was pretty amusing. I am just scared that he would try to do something like Batman for Godzilla. It would just be way too out of character. A spoofy movie would fit better with some Godzilla movies particularly the Showa series and the way the MV is headed so far it looks like we're already getting some of that.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Siding with you here for sure. That movie completely butchered the legacy of an iconic sci fi monster. The one in the works from what I have heard doesn't sound much better but at least it appears to be getting the character's mannerisms right. The Predator was the worst film of 2018 for me.
And it’s a shame that The Predator could’ve been great and would make The franchise relevant again, but instead it was a worthless piece of sh*t and that put the franchise in a worse position then AVP Requiem, Hell I’ll say Requiem did The Yautja better than this film, at least in that movie they were treated seriously threat, and done in a unique way, then a generic route where the predators just wanted take it over Earth

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think its due to 3 major factors :

1. They live by a less-is-more philosophy
2. They're suckers for plot twists
3. They equate different with good.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 pm
I think its due to 3 major factors :

1. They live by a less-is-more philosophy
2. They're suckers for plot twists
3. They equate different with good.
Or, you know. They just have different tastes than you? I happen to really enjoy Iron Man 3 and NONE of what you just said applies to me.

Stop making bullshit generalizations just because you don't share someone's opinion on a damn movie.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Shane Black's Nice Guys, while weak on the ending, is fairly funny in the beginning, and something I'd consider a decent film, not that it makes his style any more compatible for a Goji flick, but I don't think he's all around terrible.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

So I updated the pol to see the results

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Bay's Godzilla would be somewhat inbetween GFW and Kotm with a little Godzilla vs the Gryphon thrown in, with an overly sexualized female protagonist and would either end with Godzilla and his enemy being nuked, outsmarted and trapped or The military helps Godzilla to win.

Thanking about it the Godzilla vs Gryphon script sounds right up Bay's alley. The military are the main characters but there is a rebellious teen daughter he can sexuallize, the military knocks out Godzilla and later they are the reasonnhe beats Gryphon.

As bad as it could be it sounds like it would be a fun one off that you either like or don't like. Not like Godzilla hasn't had bad entries before.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Michael Bay would be another almost-franchise-killer like G98. It would have all the tropes the Transformers movie had except the fights would be cool at least. Given how Bay treats the villains in his movies, I shudder to think how he'd violate Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla.

Ghidorah would be touted as a universe destroying threat that's teased throughout the film, but when he actually shows up in the final battle Godzilla grabs all 3 of his heads and tears them off with Ghidorah's spine and entrails dangling out in a 2 minute struggle.

Then in interviews he'd say that he never really liked Ghidorah as a character and just needed a bad guy for Godzilla to fight. This was literally the case with The Fallen in ROTF.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:23 pm Michael Bay would be another almost-franchise-killer like G98. It would have all the tropes the Transformers movie had except the fights would be cool at least. Given how Bay treats the villains in his movies, I shudder to think how he'd violate Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla.

Ghidorah would be touted as a universe destroying threat that's teased throughout the film, but when he actually shows up in the final battle Godzilla grabs all 3 of his heads and tears them off with Ghidorah's spine and entrails dangling out in a 2 minute struggle.

Then in interviews he'd say that he never really liked Ghidorah as a character and just needed a bad guy for Godzilla to fight. This was literally the case with The Fallen in ROTF.
Meanwhile MechaGodzilla would have clanging metallic balls and a giant extendable crotch machine gun.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Breakdown wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:23 pm Michael Bay would be another almost-franchise-killer like G98. It would have all the tropes the Transformers movie had except the fights would be cool at least. Given how Bay treats the villains in his movies, I shudder to think how he'd violate Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla.

Meanwhile MechaGodzilla would have clanging metallic balls and a giant extendable crotch machine gun.
That has to be fired by pelvic thrusting
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Breakdown wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:22 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:30 pm

That has to be fired by pelvic thrusting
That fired in repeated short bursts.

I'm telling you, a Bay-Zilla film would make all Godzilla fans worldwide forgive the 1998 film.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image