Which is the worst Director to direct a Godzilla movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which is worse

Michael Bay
50%
Shane Black
50%

Total votes: 26

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Which is the worst Director to direct a Godzilla movie

Post by Thatguy4683 »

They both have ups and downs
We already what Roland Emmerich provides and it was terrible, but I don’t wanna know what Michael bay has in stores

Edit: I have decided to make this an weekly post where I post bad directors and decide whether they are who the worst to make a Godzilla movie

Disclaimer: let’s not harass or send death threats to any Director, this topic is just mainly for fun
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:15 am, edited 5 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Which is the worst Director to direct a Godzilla movie

Post by Spuro »

If Michael Bay directed Godzilla 1998, Audrey would be a teenage girl who gets fetishized by the camera; the military would be heroically and patriotically portrayed as opposed to the bumbling buffoons in Emmerich's version; but maybe Godzilla himself would be better? I have no idea if Bay is a Godzilla fan, but there *is* a cameo of a MKG toy in Armageddon. So maybe the monster himself would be more faithful.

He'd still probably die to the heroic US military in the end, though, if Transformers is anything to go by.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm If Michael Bay directed Godzilla 1998, Audrey would be a teenage girl who gets fetishized by the camera; the military would be heroically and patriotically portrayed as opposed to the bumbling buffoons in Emmerich's version; but maybe Godzilla himself would be better? I have no idea if Bay is a Godzilla fan, but there *is* a cameo of a MKG toy in Armageddon. So maybe the monster himself would be more faithful.

He'd still probably die to the heroic US military in the end, though, if Transformers is anything to go by.
To add onto this, any kaiju action present would be edited so choppily and messily, and things would just be so busy, it would be the "can't see shit happening" complaint from KOTM up to 11. Miles of toilet humor like Godzilla's dangling balls or him peeing on people (as anatomically incorrect as it would be for a reptile to do), extremely annoying human characters, and Godzilla and whatever monster he is fighting would be killed by the military bombarding them from miles away with SAM's, rail guns and tanks while they flail helplessly unable to fight foes they cannot see. Alternately, both monsters just get nuked and are gone, but someone says he doesn't believe that could really kill Godzilla, as a means to keep the door for a sequel open.

Honestly, both directors are poor choices, but who's worse depends on what you want to see in a Godzilla movie and how tightly you hold onto what are the fundamental aspects of his character in the original movie
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Shit I accidentally voted Emmerich. I meant to vote Bay. If you can't understand what makes Transformers tick you're hosed for Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Giratina93 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:39 pm
KK42 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:58 pm If Michael Bay directed Godzilla 1998, Audrey would be a teenage girl who gets fetishized by the camera; the military would be heroically and patriotically portrayed as opposed to the bumbling buffoons in Emmerich's version; but maybe Godzilla himself would be better? I have no idea if Bay is a Godzilla fan, but there *is* a cameo of a MKG toy in Armageddon. So maybe the monster himself would be more faithful.

To add onto this, any kaiju action present would be edited so choppily and messily, and things would just be so busy, it would be the "can't see poop happening" complaint from KOTM up to 11. Miles of toilet humor like Godzilla's dangling balls or him peeing on people (as anatomically incorrect as it would be for a reptile to do), extremely annoying human characters, and Godzilla and whatever monster he is fighting would be killed by the military bombarding them from miles away with SAM's, rail guns and tanks while they flail helplessly unable to fight foes they cannot see. Alternately, both monsters just get nuked and are gone, but someone says he doesn't believe that could really kill Godzilla, as a means to keep the door for a sequel open.

Honestly, both directors are poor choices, but who's worse depends on what you want to see in a Godzilla movie and how tightly you hold onto what are the fundamental aspects of his character in the original movie
Don't forget to add that the designs of Godzilla or whatever he fights would look ugly and over complicated like with his Bayformers and the ugliness of his TMNT films if creatures are anything to go by.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I don't think either one would do Godzilla justice, but Bay's films show more interest in action and spectacle over quality. You expect a giant monster film to have those, but you also need a good human story to anchor it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Out of the two options I am going to say Emmerich. Bay sucks too but at least making an actual Godzilla that feels like Godzilla is the perfect groundwork to do those action scenes and explosions he loves so much. In fact, those are a staple of the franchise so we would likely at least get that. While both directors are certainly bad there are even worse options for Godzilla out there or directors that aren't necessarily bad but aren't fit for something like Godzilla. Tim Burton would be a great example of the latter. I don't want a lonely Godzilla in a Gothic setting brooding around. As for the former, think of someone like Uwe Boll. He would probably make Emmerich's Godzilla look like a masterpiece by comparison. What is it with Germans and making terrible movies?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

AllosaurHell wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:47 pm
Giratina93 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:39 pm

To add onto this, any kaiju action present would be edited so choppily and messily, and things would just be so busy, it would be the "can't see poop happening" complaint from KOTM up to 11. Miles of toilet humor like Godzilla's dangling balls or him peeing on people (as anatomically incorrect as it would be for a reptile to do), extremely annoying human characters, and Godzilla and whatever monster he is fighting would be killed by the military bombarding them from miles away with SAM's, rail guns and tanks while they flail helplessly unable to fight foes they cannot see. Alternately, both monsters just get nuked and are gone, but someone says he doesn't believe that could really kill Godzilla, as a means to keep the door for a sequel open.

Don't forget to add that the designs of Godzilla or whatever he fights would look ugly and over complicated like with his Bayformers and the ugliness of his TMNT films if creatures are anything to go by.
Even further, while Goji or his monster opponent are being massacred by the US military, some character says "God Bless America".
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Lesko wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:54 pm As for the former, think of someone like Uwe Boll. He would probably make Emmerich's Godzilla look like a masterpiece by comparison. What is it with Germans and making terrible movies?
Yesh Uwe Boll, Heard that he’s not the nicest guy to have an argument with

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I shudder down to my core merely thinking of what a Michael Bay Godzilla film would look like.

One thing's for certain: it would take Pacific Rim: Uprising and The Predator's place as my most hated movie of all time--and that is saying something.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Asylum movie Directors.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

M. Night Shyamalan. We've seen with Last Airbender and After Earth he does not do well with big-budget movies.

Granted, the reason Emmerich did Godzilla so bad was because he hated the franchise.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gojira1604 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 am Asylum movie Directors.
At least an Asylum made Godzilla film would have B-Movie charm to it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Gigantis wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:47 am
Gojira1604 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:28 am Asylum movie Directors.
At least an Asylum made Godzilla film would have B-Movie charm to it.
What kind of B-Movie charm?
The Asylum's B-Movies are full of horrid monster-to-human screen ratios, vapid visuals, and insipid dialogue. There are no charm to them whatsoever.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Emmerich is objectively the worst here.

It has been documented again and again he straight up DID NOT get Godzilla and at worst, seemed to actively despise everything but the basic idea of a radioactive monster destroying a city. He was never going to make an actual character.

Bay sucks but he understands the intentions of the characters he directs or produces, he just can't do anything with them without shoving his bullshit ethos in or taking them in a direction which just isn't them anymore (good ol peace loving mass murder Optimus Prime). Bay would make a shitty Godzilla film but it would still be a GODZILLA film, so he has the edge over Emmerich for me.

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why did Emmerich think that the idea of a giant, radioactive, fire-breathing reptile was innately stupid, yet aliens coming down to Earth in giant spaceships to blow stuff up wasn't?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Out of the box pick but Shane Black for me since he hasn't directed anything I like and rewatching the movies he's worked on writing-wise have all been disappointments in some manner.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:39 pm Emmerich is objectively the worst here.

It has been documented again and again he straight up DID NOT get Godzilla and at worst, seemed to actively despise everything but the basic idea of a radioactive monster destroying a city. He was never going to make an actual character.

Bay sucks but he understands the intentions of the characters he directs or produces, he just can't do anything with them without shoving his bullshit ethos in or taking them in a direction which just isn't them anymore (good ol peace loving mass murder Optimus Prime). Bay would make a shitty Godzilla film but it would still be a GODZILLA film, so he has the edge over Emmerich for me.
Peace loving mass murder Optimus Prime.
Bay sucks
Bay making a shitty G film but still a Godzilla film
. Damn it this post :lol: :lol:
Is gold.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:00 pm Why did Emmerich think that the idea of a giant, radioactive, fire-breathing reptile was innately stupid, yet aliens coming down to Earth in giant spaceships to blow stuff up wasn't?
See, this is what drives me nuts.

Emmerich doesn't think the idea of monsters or aliens was stupid, he thought GODZILLA was stupid.

Something about how Toho executed the concept to him was always gonna be goofy and dumb so he had to "fix" it and make the real monster PROPER technology would make such a monster, while also writing in jabs to the concept in his mind.

reading the PUBLIC (god, the 90s were different) published behind the scenes stuff, I'm actually kind of shocked at how lowkey racist his problems with Godzilla are.

RIP Evan.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:15 pmreading the published behind the scenes stuff, I'm actually kind of shocked at how lowkey racist his problems with Godzilla are.
now you've got me curious
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!