Favorite Godzilla Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Favorite Godzilla Era

Post by tbeasley »

Bit late, but here's to the first 67 years...

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 pm Bit late, but here's to the first 67 years...
Very good picture, but what would have made it even better would be to have the Reiwa picture be the Sea of Flames.
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

1. Showa
Great era and lots of creativity. Even it's lesser films (except Godzilla's revenge, I think it's overrated as a kids movie and feel Ichiro has poor character development) are still either entertaining or have individual moments of brilliance.
2. IDW comics: I personally think the IDW comics are deserving of mentioning and are just as legitimate as the films. The stories of Cataclysm, in Hell, and Half-century war are easily superior than most of the Heisei and millennium films and stand toe to toe with Shin, monster Zero, and Mothra vs. Godzilla. Sure kingdom of monsters and oblivion are low marks and Gangsters and Goliaths is overrated,
but overall IDW is way more positive than negative. I feel like the IDW comics are the modern version of Showa with it's variety of stories, themes, and character development. Any fan who doesn't give it a chance just because it's comics instead of film is really doing a disservice to themselves. IDW is officially licensed entertainment so it's not fan fiction.
3. Legendary era: big budget faithful adaptations are a dream come true.
4. Millennium era: Hit and miss but has some enjoyable movies.
5. Heisei: Return of Godzilla is great and Mechagodzilla II is underrated, but the rest are kinda of like star wars the rise of Skywalker: lots of good individual scenes that don't quite add up to solid films. Miniatures are underrated though throughout the series.

I have only seen Shin but haven't seen the animes yet (don't have Netflix). Still I find Shin the second best Godzilla film in the Franchise.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:28 pm Bit late, but here's to the first 67 years...
This is splendid, banner worthy.

In any event my fav is the MV era. Pretty much in love with all the monster redesigns, Monarch is a pretty-neat overarching organization and have enjoyed each film this far.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

My favorites would be the Showa, Heisei and Monsterverse.

The first for its great imagination in creating an Age of Monsters, the second for its great sense of continuity right up to the very end and the third for its excellent attempt to bring back both the Big Five and King Kong for a new generation of fans.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Ive been very back and forth on the Monsterverse but Ive come to terms with it. I briefly found myself resenting the monsterverse because the new rush of fans coming in to the franchise, mostly being kids, have been very disrespectful to many of the other series, especially the Showa. But looking back, I was like that. I hated the Showa as a kid. I thought it was stupid. I grew out of that quick and so will all these people, and it was wrong of me to let my enjoyment of something being diminished because of the fandom around it.

I still think the Monsterverse is probably the worst series in the franchise....but the WORST series in my FAVORITE franchise of all time really isnt saying anything much. The movies are great fun and 2014 I would go so far as to say is one of the best in the series, mostly for its wonderful tone, pacing, aesthetic, and sound design.

So I respect the Monsterverse now. Your opinions are valid. And Monsterverse Ghidorah is ALMOST my favorite Ghidorah ever. Nobody will ever beat Grand King Ghidorah of course.