Favorite Godzilla Era

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Favorite Godzilla Era

Post by Spuro »

As cliche as it may sound on these boards, probably the Showa era. Back when I first joined Tohokingdom I used to consider the three eras in equal light and would proudly proclaim that I didn't play favorites. Since that time I've come to reevaluate my thoughts, and I've realized that a lot of my personal favorites come from the Showa era more than any of the others, especially when one looks beyond Toho's Godzilla films and into their expanded library of monster/sci-fi films. Films like Gojira, Mothra, Mothra vs Godzilla, Monster Zero, Frankenstein vs Baragon, Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla represent not only some of my personal favorites, but also, I think, represent some of the best monster movies Toho has ever made.

And of course, the *sheer quantity* of monster/Sci-Fi films Toho made during this period is going to give it a significant edge over competitors. There's so much bang for your buck, even if there's a few stinkers among them.

As for what comes second, that's a tough call. Heisei, Millenium, and the Reiwa/Monsterverse era are pretty much neck-and-neck.

I adore The Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, and Godzilla vs Destoroyah; but I consider Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 and Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla to be among the worst films in the series. And the less said about that Mothra trilogy, the better. If we're willing to include the Gamera trilogy (it was distributed by Toho after all) then the Heisei series gets some major bonus points, though.

On the Millenium Era's side, G2K, GMK and GxMG are, again, some of my favorites (especially GMK), but Tokyo SOS and Godzilla vs Megaguirus are pretty weak, and Godzilla: Final Wars is the worst Godzilla film ever made in my humble opinion.

Reiwa/Monsterverse has Godzilla 2014 and Shin Godzilla to its name: both are very good but flawed movies. King of the Monsters is... average at best, but on a personal level it's one of my favorites. Say what you want, but seeing the big four rendered in top of the line CGI in IMAX is a dream I've had for a very long time. On the flip side... Kong: Skull Island was boring and the anime trilogy was boring AND shitty.

It'll probably be easier for me to rank these by decade, as others have done.

1. The 1960s (Largest collection of favorites/top-tier films, and the largest collection of genre films in general makes this decade hard to beat.)
2. The 2000s (If we're including G2K, the 2000s juuuust edge out into 2nd place. GMK and G2K are both two of my favorites, and GxMG is one I really like that many others don't. Final Wars is trash, but comparing it to the 1950s, it and TBiOS pretty much cancel each other out.)
3. The 1950s (Literally inches behind the 2000s. Gojira is the obvious standout, but I also really like Rodan and the Mysterians, and GRA and Varan are guilty pleasures. TBiOS is utter shit, though.)
4. The 1980s (Only two films, but they're damn good films. It gets bonus points for having no bad entries.)
5. The 2010s (Two very good movies and a personal favorite, offset by four movies I really do not like.)
6. The 1970s (Godzilla vs Hedorah and TOMG are two of my favorite Godzilla films, but the others unfortunately drag the era down a bit.)
7. The 1990s (I LOVE Godzilla vs Destoroyah, but it's surrounded by some of my least favorite films in the series. That being said, if we're including the Gamera Trilogy then the 90s would edge out over the 80s for me.)

Everything after the 1960s is a pretty close call, so by no means does a low score mean I dislike the era. My rankings would probably change depending on my mood.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

zillabeast98 wrote:When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
This is the most compelling argument I've ever seen. I'm sold, guys. Fuck the Showa series. #heiseimasterrace
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
zillabeast98 wrote:When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch
This is the most compelling argument I've ever seen. I'm sold, guys. Fuck the Showa series. #heiseimasterrace
Well, now we’ve got Heisei Nazis. Btw I choose Showa Era.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

subjectively i would say the showa but objectively i would say the millenium era

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

#1. Monsterverse

#2. Showa

#3. Millenium

#4. Reiwa (Technically has only one film, and that one film is fantastic, but it isn’t enough to carry it any higher.)

#5. Heisei
Last edited by Jermobooka on Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Heisei
Showa
Monsterverse
Millennium
Reiwa

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:34 pm#4. Reiwa (Technically has only one film, and that one film is fantastic, but it isn’t enough to carry it any higher.)
Technically technically it's got four films, three of with are a connected trilogy, and a series.
Just sayin'. ;-)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

1.) Showa. The most creatively fulfilling era. Not much to say that people getting paid to talk about such things haven't said better.

2.) Millennium. I like the 'anthology' format, and G2K, Megaguiris, GMK and GFW all rank pretty high for me. Millennium Godzilla was my Godzilla growing up, being new and cutting edge and all, and a small, pathetic nostalgic part of me still feels that way.

3.) Heisei. I found the Heisei series to be a mixed bag for years, but the more I watch SpaceG and VS Mothra they grow on me, which means a solid batch of films from '84 alll the way up to '94. VS Mechagodzilla is a personal favorite of mine.

4.) Reiwa. Even if you don't count S.P. and Planet Eater (which I thoroughly enjoyed) Shin was my favorite film of the past decade. I have a good feeling about whatever Toho does next based on what they've done since G14 was released.

5.) Monsterverse. While they're my favorite of the recent Hollywood cycle of big budget interconnected blockbuster franchises based on IPs with a built in audience, and I think they all have bright spots, the Monsterverse falls short in one crucial area- I feel like I'm enjoying them in spite of myself. KSI and Godzilla '14 did have moments that made me feel awe like I was watching a real kaiju movie, but those moments grew to be less and less with KotM and GvK. I still hope for better MV movies in the future though.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:09 am
Jermobooka wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:34 pm#4. Reiwa (Technically has only one film, and that one film is fantastic, but it isn’t enough to carry it any higher.)
Technically technically it's got four films, three of with are a connected trilogy, and a series.
Just sayin'. ;-)
Oh yeah, you’re right…

Reiwa still stays in the same spot. I love Shin and Singular Point, but the trilogy keeps them down in the rankings. :P
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 am
Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:09 am
Just sayin'. ;-)
Oh yeah, you’re right…

Reiwa still stays in the same spot. I love Shin and Singular Point, but the trilogy keeps them down in the rankings. :P
Can't disagree about that. It's pretty much my opinion 100% too.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa (Hell yeah!)
Heisei (Just because of 89 & 91)
Millennium (GxMG and GMK are the only reasons it’s this high)
Reiwa (Shin is fantastic)
MonsterVerse (Fuck You)
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Heisei for me, as I love Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II, and Godzilla vs Destroyah. Then Millennium, with G2000, Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, and Tokyo S.O.S. Showa would be last for me, my favorites being Godzilla, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. (Plus Rodan and Mothra if we include those)
Last edited by Anguirus on Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Heisei

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Id go with Heisei, but just barely. I really do love everything Godzilla.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Showa era from 1954-1966 in my opinion is the best run of Godzilla (and Toho special effects films) in general. Peak of the series in terms of consistent quality, thematic storytelling, and entertainment spectacle. Series and genre defining, and by that extension a defining period in Japanese filmmaking history.
Last edited by Kaltes-Herzeleid on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:17 pm Showa era from 1954-1966 in my opinion is the best run of Godzilla (and Toho special effects films) in general. Peak of the series in terms of consistent quality, thematic storytelling, and entertainment spectacle. Series and genre defining, and by that extension a defining period in Japanese filmmaking history.
Why does Son of Godzilla get left out in the cold?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The more people shit on the Heisei era, the more of a soft spot I develop for it. Don't get me wrong, I have strong nostalgia for the Showa era as well.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:54 pm The more people poop on the Heisei era, the more of a soft spot I develop for it. Don't get me wrong, I have strong nostalgia for the Showa era as well.
So the more shit something is covered in, the more appealing it becomes to you? :|

Stupidity aside, I'm kind of similar. I get to where I believe the criticism a little too much, and then when I rewatch a Heisei movie, I end up enjoying it much more than I expect to. Unless it's Spacegodzilla.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Showa is my favourite, I find it interesting how much the rest of the eras pull from it. Of course that's because Showa was the first, but I think evaluating the impact it had on Godzilla in general helps me appreciate the rest of the franchise and the identity each individual era brings to the table.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’ve already said my piece earlier, but I’d like to really show scale in my rankings.

Showa>>>>Heisei>>>Millennium>>Reiwa>MonsterVerse
For Emperor and Empire!