Composers you’d like to see return

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

You have six (6) options…

Reijiro Koroku (The Return of Godzilla)
13%
Koichi Sugiyama (Godzilla vs Biollante)
4%
Takayuki Hattori (Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla, Godzilla 2000, Anime trilogy)
6%
David Arnold (Godzilla 1998)
5%
Michiru Oshima (Godzilla vs Megaguirus, Kiryu Saga)
19%
Kow Otani (GMK)
12%
Nobuhiko Morino (Godzilla: Final Wars)
1%
Daisuke Yano (Godzilla: Final Wars)
3%
Alexandre Desplat (Godzilla 2014)
9%
Shiro Sagisu (Shin Godzilla)
8%
Bear McCreary (Godzilla: King of the Monsters)
19%
Tom Holkenborg (Godzilla vs Kong)
1%

Total votes: 127

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Composers you’d like to see return

Post by tbeasley »

Oshima and McCreary leading the way.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:25 pmGiven that chance, I'd bring Akira Kurosawa to the present. The reason they didn't let him do a Godzilla film is because they'd need a bigger budget. With Shin's success, they have to have more money than ever so it could work.
This is sort of an urban legend. Kurosawa never expressed interest in directing a sci-fi/monster film.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Really just Oshima. She's the only non-Ifukube Godzilla composer of the past 40 years I've truly loved.

So yeah. Oshima.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Reijiro Koroku and Bear McCreary would be my top choices. Koroku's score for RoG was nothing short of astounding.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 am Kurosawa never expressed interest in directing a sci-fi/monster film.
Source?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:47 pm
tbeasley wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:01 am Kurosawa never expressed interest in directing a sci-fi/monster film.
Source?
Galvan: Speaking of Kurosawa, there is a famous urban legend that he wanted to do a Godzilla movie of his own but Toho wouldn't hear of it for fear of the money such a project would cost. I've never found any confirmation of this story, but it is an enamoring idea. What do you think? Would Kurosawa have been a good fit for the kaiju genre?

Godziszewski: Yes, I believe that is an urban legend. I think that must have come from something that Yu Fujiki said in the dvd commentary for King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962), where I think he was asked about Kurosawa doing Godzilla, and he commented that Toho would never agree since it would cost way too much. Which is exactly correct. From what I know, I doubt that he could have even made a Godzilla film back in his day. For one thing, I think he and Tsuburaya would have never been able to coexist. Their personalities were both too strong. Pretty much the only director that either one could get along with well was Honda. You'll note that there are almost no special effects in any of Kurosawa's films, which is not just a coincidence, I think. Sadamasa Arikawa told Steve Ryfle and me that Kurosawa once asked for Tsuburaya to film the moving forest for the ending of Throne of Blood (1957). Tsuburaya didn't want to do it, knowing Kurosawa would never be satisfied, but they tried anyway. When the footage was shown in the screening room, Arikawa happened to be sitting right next to Kurosawa. Upon seeing the rushes, Kurosawa loudly blurted out "Who made this garbage?" as Arikawa sunk down into his seat to try and keep out of sight. That was the last thing that Tsuburaya filmed for him. Kurosawa pretty much had an exact image in his head of what he wanted. In live action, he was in charge, so he could always get what he wanted. That would never be the case with special effects under someone else's control. As much as a perfectionist as Kurosawa was, I can't see that any amount of time and money would have ever sufficed to allow him to achieve his vision. But if time and money were no object, it would have been interesting to see what he could have done.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/ ... -2016.html