Favourite Rodan?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your favourite Rodan?

‘56
49%
Showa
5%
Heisei
5%
GFW
5%
MonsterVerse
35%

Total votes: 37

Voyager
Keizer

Favourite Rodan?

Post by Voyager »

Another of the ‘Favourite ‘ Threads for the newbies. I guess we’re gonna do it with all the big kaiju. And yes, I left SP Rodan out for obvious reasons.

My opinion has changed, and now while 64 is my favourite design wise and personality wise, and I love 56 Rodan a lot more now.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Favourite Rodan?

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gotta be the normie here and say Monsterverse.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

1956. I just think Rodan has the best design in that movie and the way he destroyed the city is fast-paced and chaotic. My second favorite would be MonsterVerse.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

While I enjoy the personality bits of Showa Rodan (His cackling of Godzilla being blasted by Mothra's silk is hysterical) I am gonna go with the MV version. I like the volcanic aesthetic with it, I love the look and think he just oozes personality along with having a highlight scene of smashing those jets.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

'56 had the best design, but I went with Showa. His design is a close second, and I like his jerk personality. The fact that he had three film appearances helps, too; we got more time to connect with him and all.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Showa (1st Generation) and MonsterVerse are my favorites, both are excellent designs. Showa (2nd Generation) is a downgrade visually and looks quite goofy, but I love his personality and dynamic with Godzilla - He was the original 'companion' monster before Anguirus in the 70s.

Not so big on the others. Might be strange nitpicks, but I found Heisei/Fire Rodan too puppet-like and Millennium too humanoid. Haven't seen Singular Point, but the more standard pteranodon-like look isn't doing much for me, either.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

56. No contest for me. The 56 Rodan is one of my favorite kaiju ever. I'm not the biggest fan of the rest of the Showa suits, though his personality is wonderful. Heisei Rodan is fine within the context of his film. I actually kind of dig Final Wars Rodan, and MonsterVerse Rodan is wonderful. But nothing holds a candle to 56 for me.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Original is best, 64-65 is good too but he looks kind of derpy in DAM. Didn't like his size or the role he was delegated to in 93 but at he least he got a few good hits in. 04 was a good, though brief return to form and Monsterverse is the best take on the more conventional pteranodon design.

I also think that the second form of SP Rodan is actually pretty cool, the colour scheme and facial features a reminiscent of the 56 version. You can't look at this face and tell me it's not Rodan.
Spoiler:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

OG Rodan for sure. Monsterverse, Showa, Final Wars, Heisei in that order.
The original Rodan design is classic perfection, like a 64 Impala.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Smuggers wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:14 am You can't look at this face and tell me it's not Rodan.
Spoiler:
That’s not Rodan. :P

Anyway, I voted the 1956 original too. The Monsterverse version comes close... but between his small size and his rather generic roar, he’s just missing those last few ingredients.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

56 version was fun and a stand out because it had him flying and scooping up cows/people/etc. to eat which was very cool. (And as kid at least felt right because what the heck were these kaiju eating!)

- Michael

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

‘56 is definitely my favorite, with Showa just behind (although I am amongst those who chooses to believe Showa and ‘56 are the same Rodan, but that’s a talk for another day). Out of all the incarnations of the character so far, the original still looks the most imposing and feels the most delightfully powerful and menacing, and his roars send chills down my spine every time.

Behind that, my third favorite is FW Rodan. His design is a well-crafted blend of 56 and Heisei with unique aspects of its own; I especially dig the green eyes and the thick sledgehammer-feet. He’s the very personification of “The Fast and The Furious” given physical form.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well, guess i'll be the odd one out here and give FW Rodan a vote. He has my favorite design of all of them so far, he had some of the best scenes in the entire movie... and he's not small like Heisei and MV

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:47 am ‘56 is definitely my favorite, with Showa just behind (although I am amongst those who chooses to believe Showa and ‘56 are the same Rodan, but that’s a talk for another day).
I think that's probably the standard take. The only reason to separate them here is the very different suit.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Going off looks, none are at all shabby aside from some of the post-56 Showa designs. I really hate the beak and face. But after a very hard toss-up, MV wins for me. He's a big magma eagle-pterosaur cross with some great sequences attached; though the 56 Version is a very respectable silver medalist. The Heisei look is actually one of my favorites, but he's just so dang small and physically weak it doesn't pay off much.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Monsterverse, bar none. He’s just such a unique, yet classic take on the ol’ bird.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

1956 Rodan still stands above the rest, in both design and the way the film handled it/them. '56 Rodan to me feels like the one that is closest to being an "equal" of sorts to Godzilla. I eagerly await the day that we get a new Rodan that manages to recapture that feeling.
And yes, I left SP Rodan out for obvious reasons.
Good decision.