Favourite King Ghidorah?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What version if your favourite?

Showa
33%
Heisei (MKG included)
4%
RoMIII
22%
GMK
2%
MonsterVerse
33%
Shin (Evangelion)
4%
Reiwa
2%

Total votes: 46

goji89
Sazer

Re: Favourite King Ghidorah?

Post by goji89 »

ROM is catching up holy crap

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Ayo sup homies. I heard talk of a bracket as a joke and I got a wonderful idea... Toho Monster Bracket!
For Emperor and Empire!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm Every Ghidorah in this bracket minus the MV, GMK and the ROM ones were under mind control, so that means their wills weren't strong enough and therefore that's an automatic L.
Errrrrm

In Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (his best Showa appearance don't @ me) Ghidorah is not under mind control and despite being an alien creature MV Ghidorah still kowtows to the ORCA's bleep bloops so he's like halfway there
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:40 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:01 pm Every Ghidorah in this bracket minus the MV, GMK and the ROM ones were under mind control, so that means their wills weren't strong enough and therefore that's an automatic L.
Errrrrm

In Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (his best Showa appearance don't @ me) Ghidorah is not under mind control and despite being an alien creature MV Ghidorah still kowtows to the ORCA's bleep bloops so he's like halfway there
*Sigh*

The ORCA never controlled Ghidorah, it distracted him. In fact Ghidorah was pissed the ORCA was quelling the Titans fury so he personally flew over to smash it to prevent it from being a thorn in its side for world domination.

Showa Ghidorah meanwhile, after its first appearance, was passed around like a blunt to every alien race under the sun. A pawn multiple times over.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm
Errrrrm

*Sigh*

The ORCA never controlled Ghidorah, it distracted him. In fact Ghidorah was pissed the ORCA was quelling the Titans fury so he personally flew over to smash it to prevent it from being a thorn in its side for world domination.

Showa Ghidorah meanwhile, after its first appearance, was passed around like a blunt to every alien race under the sun. A pawn multiple times over.
Well you see, Showa KG is actually cool. The practical effects were Toho’s best work on bringing a Kaiju to life, only ever topped by Biollante.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:48 pm
Errrrrm

*Sigh*

Well you see, Showa KG is actually cool. The practical effects were Toho’s best work on bringing a Kaiju to life, only ever topped by Biollante.
Are we comparing characters, or the material that birthed them? I get you probably wince at the sight of CGI in anything but when it comes to planet terrors I prefer one who calls his own shots rather than tugged at the collar of "insert alien race #5"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:51 pm

*Sigh*

Are we comparing characters, or the material that birthed them? I get you probably wince at the sight of CGI in anything but when it comes to planet terrors I prefer one who calls his own shots rather than tugged at the collar of "insert alien race #5"
Everything about the character, and it can include practical or special FX.

And no, I love CGI! I love the dinosaurs from JP, I love Thanos, I adore the Andy Serkis Apes Trilogy, and heck, I love the effects that they put into the MV films. The designs just don’t do it for me, and neither do their “personalities”
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:51 pm

Everything about the character, and it can include practical or special FX.

And no, I love CGI! I love the dinosaurs from JP, I love Thanos, I adore the Andy Serkis Apes Trilogy, and heck, I love the effects that they put into the MV films. The designs just don’t do it for me, and neither do their “personalities”
Fair, I disagree but fair.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the MV designs and personalities are right up there, or close too, the Serkis Apes trilogy.

No current modern creature design/personality is doing it better and more in-depth than MV atm.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:18 pm I think the MV designs and personalities are right up there, or close too, the Serkis Apes trilogy.

No current modern creature design/personality is doing it better and more in-depth than MV atm.
God I wish I could like comments on this site lol

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The eyebrow twitches, the eyelid and cheek movement fluidity, the slightest of expressions. The personalities themselves, evil smiles from Rodan right before he absolutely obliterates a squad of jet fighters, evil laughter from Godzilla after he catches Kong with that atomic blast, the raw angst from Kong whenever he's pissed and confused. Mothra had an unmatched intensity in her few short close ups, Ghidorah's heads each had a personality expressed through their faces.

Even the MUTOs somehow expressed primal love through very little physicality.

It's all currently unmatched.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat May 08, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

This was tougher to rank than I thought so I'll put it like this -

Showa is the best, GMK is underrated and I like the idea of the Anime version.

Heisei/Mecha-King Ghidorah, Rebirth of Mothra III and MonsterVerse all sit in the same place.

If they count - The Universal Studios Japan/Godzilla vs. Evangelion design is incredible, the Godzilla the Ride version looks alright.

Not big on the quadruped look but Desghidorah was neat, Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah not so much.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Welcome to...

Showa Kingdom

They spared no expense.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm The ORCA never controlled Ghidorah, it distracted him. In fact Ghidorah was pissed the ORCA was quelling the Titans fury so he personally flew over to smash it to prevent it from being a thorn in its side for world domination.

The fact that Ghidorah responds to the ORCA despite being an alien and yet he somehow posses the same bio acoustics as the Hollow Earth-birthed titans always struck me as... odd. The ORCA never explicitly controls any monsters in the movie but it's such an easy way for the writers to get the monsters to do what the plot requires of them. I'm also pretty sure that Ghidorah didn't personally come to destroy the ORCA because he was mad at it for interrupting his plans but more because, y'know, Maddie was using it to lure all the Titans there. Which is also why Emma is able to get him to chase her rather than finish off Godzilla. Sure, it's not mind control... but it might as well be. I just don't really by into the hype of this Ghidorah being the "true king of terror" like people build him up to be. The devil with three heads or whatever. We're not really told anything about him aside being from space, so anything beyond that is head canon to me.

But who knows, maybe similarly to Showa KG, MV KG will be portrayed slightly differently during its next appeara- oh right. X_X
Last edited by Smuggers on Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:43 pm The ORCA never controlled Ghidorah, it distracted him. In fact Ghidorah was pissed the ORCA was quelling the Titans fury so he personally flew over to smash it to prevent it from being a thorn in its side for world domination.

The fact that Ghidorah responds to the ORCA despite being an alien and yet he somehow posses the same bio acoustics as the Hollow Earth-birthed titans always struck me as... odd. The ORCA never explicitly controls any monsters in the movie but it's such an easy way for the writers to get the monsters to do what the plot requires of them. I'm also pretty sure that Ghidorah didn't personally come to destroy the ORCA because he was mad at it for interrupting his plans but more because, y'know, Maddie was using it to lure all the Titans there. Which is also why Emma is able to get him to chase her rather than finish off Godzilla. Sure, it's not mind control... but it might as well be. I just don't really by into the hype of this Ghidorah being the "true king of terror" like people build him up to be. The devil with three heads or whatever. We're not really told anything about him aside being from space, so anything beyond that is head canon to me.

But who knows, maybe similarly to Showa KG, MV KG will be portrayed slightly differently during its next appeara- oh right. X_X
I mean if anything, that actually cements all the more why I like this version.
Spoiler:
Even as a goddamn ghost, being built like a machine, he still was the one calling the shots. Killing the Apex goons and launching his own attack to kill Godzilla in revenge.
The ORCA simply produces noises that lull Titans into believing it is a Titan-like signal if you will. It more puts them at ease or makes them more aggressive, rather than act as a command "do X for me." Given Ghidorah arrived first to Boston and their impulse was to blast the stadium producing the noise it seems pretty clear their intent was to destroy the noise that was lulling the Titans away from Ghidorah's orders to "kill and reshape the world in my image" mission statement. This Ghidorah more than anything was a conquering force of its own agency, with a history of trying to usurp Godzilla as chief Titan and take the world as his own.

His unleash the Titans scene does more to convey he is a King of Terror than frankly anything we are told about other Ghidorahs. Hell just his appearance he can conjure hurricanes and bring ruin to things around him, he literally is flying death.
Last edited by godjacob on Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 pm
Spoiler:
Even as a goddamn ghost, being built like a machine, he still was the one calling the shots. Killing the Apex goons and launching his own attack to kill Godzilla in revenge.
I actually really like this idea, I just wish that movie went a little further with the concept.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:37 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 pm
Spoiler:
I actually really like this idea, I just wish that movie went a little further with the concept.
I agree on that.
Spoiler:
Technically speaking so long as a head and the tech is around, it could return. But I won't be holding my breath for it.
Though I do hope KWC writers take advantage of the potential~

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 pm I agree on that.
Spoiler:
Technically speaking so long as a head and the tech is around, it could return. But I won't be holding my breath for it.
Spoiler:
I know it was just a fake leak, but the idea of Ghidorah regenerating while inside Mechagodzilla is such a cool concept that you can't not do it. It'd also be a convenient to reintroduce Ghidorah into the MV proper without going with the more conventional MKG route.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:21 pm The eyebrow twitches, the eyelid and cheek movement fluidity, the slightest of expressions. The personalities themselves, evil smiles from Rodan right before he absolutely obliterates a squad of jet fighters, evil laughter from Godzilla after he catches Kong with that atomic blast, the raw angst from Kong whenever he's pissed and confused. Mothra had an unmatched intensity in her few short close ups, Ghidorah's heads each had a personality expressed through their faces.

Even the MUTOs somehow expressed primal love through very little physicality.

It's all currently unmatched.
All of this. As otherwise full of problems as the Monsterverse may be, the CGI animators are clearly doing their damnedest for these monsters, and that deserves applause. The monsters are wonderful, as expressive and full of character as they've ever been.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:44 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 pm I agree on that.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I know it was just a fake leak, but the idea of Ghidorah regenerating while inside Mechagodzilla is such a cool concept that you can't not do it. It'd also be a convenient to reintroduce Ghidorah into the MV proper without going with the more conventional MKG route.
Spoiler:
That would indeed be some visceral imagery. The mid-way point being something similar to that Eva-Goji toy.