Favourite King Ghidorah?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What version if your favourite?

Showa
33%
Heisei (MKG included)
4%
RoMIII
22%
GMK
2%
MonsterVerse
33%
Shin (Evangelion)
4%
Reiwa
2%

Total votes: 46

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Re: Favourite King Ghidorah?

Post by Dracosaurian »

It's MV King Ghidorah for me. I like Showa, but after some thought and re-watching the films it appeared in I've gotta give MV the edge. Certain things held Showa back for me.

Meanwhile with MV, His personality, serpentine flair and having history with Godzilla was great and I really enjoyed watching him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

One big thing that Monsterverse Ghidorah had going for him was his melee proficiency. He was a powerful, competent tooth-and-claw brawler, and that's something no previous incarnation can really say. Showa, especially, was almost exclusively a beam-spammer, ironically even more so than Heisei.

That said, beam-spamming is what Ghidorah does, and I would have liked just a bit more of it from Monsterverse. It would've been cool if he'd had a moment where he just freaks out and torches everything in sight while wildly flailing his heads, just for tradition's sake.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am One big thing that Monsterverse Ghidorah had going for him was his melee proficiency. He was a powerful, competent tooth-and-claw brawler, and that's something no previous incarnation can really say. Showa, especially, was almost exclusively a beam-spammer, ironically even more so than Heisei.

That said, beam-spamming is what Ghidorah does, and I would have liked just a bit more of it from Monsterverse. It would've been cool if he'd had a moment where he just freaks out and torches everything in sight while wildly flailing his heads, just for tradition's sake.
Does the scene where he eats the generator to supercharge and blast everything around him (Godzilla's face, multiple jets the buildings etc.) not count in this regard?

Literally if you gave Ghidorah's heads dialogue here I could imagine them screaming like a mad tyrant "DIE LOWER LIFEFORMS DIE!"

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 pm It should be noted that Showa Ghidorah was absolutely capable of being a civilization destroyer, so long as that civilization didn't have access to mind control technology. Yeah, okay, that does seem to be the case for most Showa civilizations, but humanity wasn't one of them. If we hadn't lucked out and had three of the right kaiju in the right place at the right time, what could humans have done? Played whack-a-mole with nukes until one finally hit Ghidorah, assuming it would even be enough to stop him? And then we'd just have been doing his job for him.
>Allegedly destroys whole civilizations

> Gets wrecked by a caterpillar and 2 angry dinosaurs.

Either those civilizations Ghidorah destroyed were in the stone age, or they really exaggerated his capabilities.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Yeah, as much as I love Showa's backstory, what's shown onscreen really doesn't support it.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Breakdown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 pm >Allegedly destroys whole civilizations

Either those civilizations Ghidorah destroyed were in the stone age, or they really exaggerated his capabilities.
Or why not assume that Ghidorah is as powerful as claimed and that the combined might of Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra (not "a caterpillar and 2 angry dinosaurs") was enough to stop him?

Princess Salno says, "Venus was once far advanced beyond today's Earth," (Criterion subtitles), so Venus cannot have been "in the stone age."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Yeah, I really hate the gross downplaying of Showa Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:08 pm
Breakdown wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:05 pm >Allegedly destroys whole civilizations

Or why not assume that Ghidorah is as powerful as claimed and that the combined might of Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra (not "a caterpillar and 2 angry dinosaurs") was enough to stop him?

Princess Salno says, "Venus was once far advanced beyond today's Earth," (Criterion subtitles), so Venus cannot have been "in the stone age."
This is hilarious considering that humans have broken alien mind control in the Showa series with Ghidorah least twice over, one of which was done using a guy's garage project.

And it is more how this planet destroying threat spends the Showa series largely under the whistle of various alien races but also being forced to flee in all but his last canon appearance where he gets ground pound to death.

Just saying the Venus backstory vs. what we actual get with Showa Ghidorah is but a touch underwhelming.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:46 pm This is hilarious considering that humans have broken alien mind control in the Showa series with Ghidorah least twice over, one of which was done using a guy's garage project.

And it is more how this planet destroying threat spends the Showa series largely under the whistle of various alien races but also being forced to flee in all but his last canon appearance where he gets ground pound to death.

Just saying the Venus backstory vs. what we actual get with Showa Ghidorah is but a touch underwhelming.
It's not a fault of the 1964 film that later films undermined Ghidorah's threat. At least in that film alone, there's nothing that refutes Salno's claims about Ghidorah. Breakdown didn't try to use events from later films, they used only what happens and what is said in GTTHM. I have no problem acknowledging that Ghidorah appears underwhelming in his subsequent Showa appearances, but you really can't use his 1964 debut to discount his backstory as Breakdown and NSZ did. That film doesn't overstate his menace, it's just the later films that seemingly contradict what's established.

These things didn't really happen, we're talking about very imperfect works of fiction. There are no definite rules here on how to handle the contradictions from film to film.

And FWIW, Tetsuo's invention doesn't break the Xilien mind control. They use his device to interfere with the Xilien computers that they're totally reliant on. The mind control is broken by the A-Cycle device which interrupts the magnetic waves controlling the monsters. They are not the same thing.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon May 10, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:04 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:46 pm This is hilarious considering that humans have broken alien mind control in the Showa series with Ghidorah least twice over, one of which was done using a guy's garage project.

It's not a fault of the 1964 film that later films undermined Ghidorah's threat. At least in that film alone, there's nothing that refutes Salno's claims about Ghidorah. Breakdown didn't try to use events from later films, they used only what happens and what is said in GTTHM. I have no problem acknowledging that Ghidorah appears underwhelming in his subsequent Showa appearances, but you really can't use his 1964 debut to discount his backstory as Breakdown and NSZ did. That film doesn't overstate his menace, it's just the later films that seemingly contradict what's established.

These things didn't really happen, we're talking about very imperfect works of fiction. There are no definite rules here on how to handle the contradictions from film to film.

And FWIW, Tetsuo's invention doesn't break the Xilien mind control. They use his device to interfere with the Xilien computers that they're totally reliant on. The mind control is broken by the A-Cycle device which interrupts the magnetic waves controlling the monsters. They are not the same thing.
Nothing is a strong word, while I agree the original film is Showa Ghidorah's peak and the one time he came off as the planet invading menace he is generally supposed to be I wouldn't say the first film confirms his planet busting threat entirely. When Ghidorah actually does arrive on Earth, we see his style of destroying civilizations is...to slowly advance and break buildings one at a time with either his Gravity Bolts (Which on occasion even miss stationary targets due to their chaotic swings of the head) and yeah. If you put even say Anguirus on Venus you could paint him as a planet destroyer without Kaiju resistance if that is how he goes about it. Still I have no issues with GTTHM portrayal and if subsequent films kept up that characterization he'd be a definitive front runner by most accounts. But they don't do that.

And I don't think you can just gloss over how well sad the rest of his run in the Showa films is when talking his character.

My point was more if Tetsuo's personal invention can become a critical competent for combating an invasion destroying the "super advanced" technology of the ones who tamed Ghidorah so casually it doesn't speak so highly about them and even less on those they subjugate.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll just jump in and point out that 'advanced' in no way means unstoppable, as our own history shows again and again. Take, for example, the last year, which we've spent getting our asses kicked by a microscopic virus that's totally within our means to contain.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:09 pm Nothing is a strong word, while I agree the original film is Showa Ghidorah's peak and the one time he came off as the planet invading menace he is generally supposed to be I wouldn't say the first film confirms his planet busting threat entirely. When Ghidorah actually does arrive on Earth, we see his style of destroying civilizations is...to slowly advance and break buildings one at a time with either his Gravity Bolts (Which on occasion even miss stationary targets due to their chaotic swings of the head) and yeah. If you put even say Anguirus on Venus you could paint him as a planet destroyer without Kaiju resistance if that is how he goes about it. Still I have no issues with GTTHM portrayal and if subsequent films kept up that characterization he'd be a definitive front runner by most accounts. But they don't do that.

And I don't think you can just gloss over how well sad the rest of his run in the Showa films is when talking his character.

My point was more if Tetsuo's personal invention can become a critical competent for combating an invasion destroying the "super advanced" technology of the ones who tamed Ghidorah so casually it doesn't speak so highly about them and even less on those they subjugate.
I didn't gloss over the later films nor did I say anyone should.

I'm not interested in further debating this, especially if we're gonna take turns nitpicking each other's posts as we have, because I've really no more to say about it. I was just trying to offer what I think was the screenwriter's idea, that 1) Ghidorah did in fact destroy Venus (no one has shown yet how GTTHM invalidates this), and 2) being beaten by Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra means those three are stronger together, not that Ghidorah is weak. Those were essentially the two ideas Breakdown put forth, hence my initial response.
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon May 10, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.