Favourite King Ghidorah?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What version if your favourite?

Showa
33%
Heisei (MKG included)
4%
RoMIII
22%
GMK
2%
MonsterVerse
33%
Shin (Evangelion)
4%
Reiwa
2%

Total votes: 46

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Re: Favourite King Ghidorah?

Post by Lesko »

I am going to say Showa Ghidorah is my favorite. Each Ghidorah is great and has it's own charm but the Showa Ghidorah showed up so many times you just felt bonded to it. The cackles and beam spamming helped define that entire Godzilla franchise. Yes the fact Ghidorah just get mind controlled by so many aliens is kind of off putting but Showa Ghidorah is like The Joker for Batman. He always comes back and you instantly recognize him with his trademark appearance and sounds.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Both RoM3 and Showa rank number one in my book, though I hold a soft spot for RoM3 specifically. With the coolest design, largest set of tricks and most badass presence in the entire roster, he is everything I feel the character of King Ghidorah should be: a true fearless world destroyer that lives up to the reputation from beginning to end.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

MV for me, embodies everything I’ve wanted out of Ghidorah for a long time, feels like a true destroyer of worlds that should be feared. Grand and Anime are close seconds for certain, both bring a lot to the table and either could easily qualify as my favorite if MV didn’t hit every right point for me.

Showa to me gets held back too much by DAM, vs Gigan, and Zone Fighter, where he’s just getting passed back and forth between incompetent aliens and is progressively getting worse looking and worse at moving.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:00 pm MV for me, embodies everything I’ve wanted out of Ghidorah for a long time, feels like a true destroyer of worlds that should be feared. Grand and Anime are close seconds for certain, both bring a lot to the table and either could easily qualify as my favorite if MV didn’t hit every right point for me.

Showa to me gets held back too much by DAM, vs Gigan, and Zone Fighter, where he’s just getting passed back and forth between incompetent aliens and is progressively getting worse looking and worse at moving.
I thought he looked fine in DAM. Same heads and body in IoAM and GTTHM.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun May 09, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MV beating Showa wtf?

I love ROM Ghidorah is still hanging in there.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun May 09, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm I love ROM Ghidorah is still hanging in there.
He didn't get his nickname of Grand King Ghidorah for nothing!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm MV beating Showa wtf?

MV is everything the Showa Ghidorah is hyped to be in practice. :twisted:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:11 pm

That is such a bold statement hope you can back it up.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Umm, has MV Ghidorah bested an entire civilisation that spanned an entire planet?
For Emperor and Empire!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Hmmm... Decisions, decisions.

We got more out of Showa Ghidorah, but that arguably works against him, as every subsequent appearance after GtTHM has him as an alien race's slave.

Heisei just completely strips the character of his cosmic horror-ness.

RoM was a step back in the right direction, but after DesGhidorah was a literal life-force vampire, Grand just abducting a number of kids and not even bothering to "eat" them immediately is... rather lame, actually.

GMK was just an understudy filing in a role that was written with another monster in mind.

Ghost Noodle pushes the cosmic horror angle to a new level, but then trips on itself by enabling fucking No-Clip just to spite those of us wanting a proper fight. Cheating prick.

MV reigns things back in and gives us a Ghidorah worthy as a successor to Showa Ghids, making him a tour de force that could believably bring the world to its knees, which makes it such a dragging bummer that he was a one-and-done deal.

Shin also delivers a Ghidorah worthy to be Showa's successor, finally giving him gravity bolts that actually affect gravity, all the while making him more alien without radically altering or betraying any aspect of him. Like MV, he's sadly one-and-done, but when you're up against Shin Godzilla and the Evas, the most broken OP characters in this franchise outside of the Polygon trilogy, can you really expect any different outcome?

This honestly comes down to MV and Shin for me, and I'm too scared to toss a coin. :freak:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Seems easy to do. We are told Showa Ghidorah is a planet destroyer, but see nothing in action. Where as we see MV Ghidorah bring the world to ruin and raise actual hell around him.

We are told Showa Ghidorah is a King of Terror, but he spends literally every other film he is in at the will of every alien race under the sun. Where as MV Ghidorah bends the knee to no one and acts with its own monstrous agency.
Spoiler:
Even in "death" as Godzilla vs. Kong showed
Showa Ghidorah has an undeniable legacy to him that cannot be taken away, but while Showa largely talked the talk MV actually backed up those claims.
Voyager wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Umm, has MV Ghidorah bested an entire civilisation that spanned an entire planet?
See above.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Seems easy to do. We are told Showa Ghidorah is a planet destroyer, but see nothing in action. Where as we see MV Ghidorah bring the world to ruin and raise actual hell around him.

We are told Showa Ghidorah is a King of Terror, but he spends literally every other film he is in at the will of every alien race under the sun. Where as MV Ghidorah bends the knee to no one and acts with its own monstrous agency.
Spoiler:
Showa Ghidorah has an undeniable legacy to him that cannot be taken away, but while Showa largely talked the talk MV actually backed up those claims.

See above.
But did he actually destroy a world/civilisation? No, I don’t think he did.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I like Showa Ghidorah best. Fuckin iconic. Monsterverse is pretty good too but the whole "HAHAHAH KEEEEVIIIN" thing kinda pissed me off after a while.
I like both 90's designs well enough.
GMK was a bit of a misfire but still has his charms.
Eva Ghidorah is what I wish Monsterverse looked like.
Reiwa is overhated by a wide margin. I loved the way he was executed in the context of the Polygon trilogy, and Planet Vorer (or whatever it was called :lol: ) was the one part of that trilogy that entertained me, plus that Bandai MMS fig actually looks really nice!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:43 pm
godjacob wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Spoiler:

See above.
But did he actually destroy a world/civilisation? No, I don’t think he did.
1 offscreen moment of awesome<several moments of on screen awesome

Also Ghidorah might've destroyed an ancient civilization or two, depending on if we ever get context for the original conflict between him and Godzilla in ancient times. But point is MV Ghidorah does not need that bit to be justified as a planet terror badass. Where as Showa Ghidorah's rep entirely hinges on his off screen destruction of Venus as his on screen presence is largely the pet dog of stock alien races coming off as less a menace each time.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:21 pm The eyebrow twitches, the eyelid and cheek movement fluidity, the slightest of expressions. The personalities themselves, evil smiles from Rodan right before he absolutely obliterates a squad of jet fighters, evil laughter from Godzilla after he catches Kong with that atomic blast, the raw angst from Kong whenever he's pissed and confused. Mothra had an unmatched intensity in her few short close ups, Ghidorah's heads each had a personality expressed through their faces.

Even the MUTOs somehow expressed primal love through very little physicality.

It's all currently unmatched.
All of this. As otherwise full of problems as the Monsterverse may be, the CGI animators are clearly doing their damnedest for these monsters, and that deserves applause. The monsters are wonderful, as expressive and full of character as they've ever been.
Probably my favorite thing about the Monsterverse. A related fact; Adam Wingard and the VFX team actually disobeyed a request from Toho to maintain that expressiveness. The request? Have Godzilla be emotionless like Shin, Earth, and (so far) Ultima.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

MV Ghidorah takes the #1 spot for me. I adore his design and he oozed personality, 3 personalities in fact! Even in "death" Ghidorah manages to haunt the MonsterVerse as MechaGodzilla and maybe in other ways in the future.

#2 would be Anime Ghidorah. FIGHT me. I despise the anime trilogy for it's squandered potential, but Ghidorah was an exception. He truly felt like an extra-dimensional horror that's slain entire worlds by himself. That scene of the summoning ritual and the cultists was horrifying and surreal.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It should be noted that Showa Ghidorah was absolutely capable of being a civilization destroyer, so long as that civilization didn't have access to mind control technology. Yeah, okay, that does seem to be the case for most Showa civilizations, but humanity wasn't one of them. If we hadn't lucked out and had three of the right kaiju in the right place at the right time, what could humans have done? Played whack-a-mole with nukes until one finally hit Ghidorah, assuming it would even be enough to stop him? And then we'd just have been doing his job for him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Part of Showa's appeal is largely in how he was shot. They always made full use of their widescreen to convey his size and how he just towers over everyone else. They always tried to make Ghidorah seem as majestic and imposing as possible (except probably Godzilla vs Gigan). Every other Ghidorah lacked that physical presence Showa had. Though again I feel that was often the filmmakers faults more than anything. GMK and Mothra 3, even KOTM to a lesser extent, had a couple effective shots here and there, but Tsuburaya and Co were apparently pretty proud of Showa Ghidorah and showed him off as much as possible. That's even with all the problems inherent with all the wire work the design required.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Mon May 10, 2021 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I agree with Tyrant, 100%.

Showa Ghidorah has this presence that no other Ghidorah has ever had. When he’s rampaging through the town/city in GTTHM (on the ground) I really feel his size and majesty, and even intimidation. No other Ghidorah has ever intimidated me. Showa Ghidorah’s design and suit (well up until vs Gigan ruined it) is also highly impeccable.
For Emperor and Empire!

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

While I voted for MV (because he epitomizes what Ghidorah should be to me), I want to note a few things about the unpopular designs.

GMK is the "most realistic" looking of the Toho designs, and I love him for that. The heads look so cool, the feet break the four toe design and I love it. After powering up he is a total badass, and all around, I love him.

Heisei, on the other hand...yall hate on him way too much. And he most certainly doesn't get the respect he deserves. This dude was created to be the ultimate destructive weapon, and he fills that purpose exactly. His rampage through Japan is one of the most destructive that I can think of, and his portrayal is just incredible. One big reason yall don't like him is his fight with Godzilla, but think of it this way: this Ghidorah was created to destroy Japan and replace Godzilla, who to the Futurian's understanding was only 80m tall. So when he comes back, juiced up on nuclear sub energy with an added 20m of height, it's no surprise he kicks Ghidorah's ass (and even then he almost suffocates Godzilla). I don't think that his loss should negate what came before.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.