What Is Your Favorite Mechagodzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Favorite Mechagodzilla?

Showa
61%
Heisei
3%
Kiryu
24%
Monsterverse
12%

Total votes: 33

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

What Is Your Favorite Mechagodzilla?

Post by Jermobooka »

I’m asking favorite as a whole (design/incarnation)

The answer for the extreme vast majority would be Kiryu, but TK, for whatever reason, is abhorrently contrarian, so it’s probably Showa or something :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Re: What Is Your Favorite Mechagodzilla?

Post by goji89 »

Nope

MGII is my favorite incarnation. Especially with the Garuda attached. It's the best IMO.

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
And people are salivating over the new MV MG that looks atrocious with those crane arms no teeth gum looking fucker. Looks like a damn lego

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa is peak KINO, especially ’75. Everything else besides Kiryu is subpar at best. Kiryu is alright :)
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm I’m asking favorite as a whole (design/incarnation)

The answer for the extreme vast majority would be Kiryu, but TK, for whatever reason, is abhorrently contrarian, so it’s probably Showa or something :lol:
:|

I didn't realize picking Showa was being contrarian.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:12 pm Nope

MGII is my favorite incarnation. Especially with the Garuda attached. It's the best IMO.

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
And people are salivating over the new MV MG that looks atrocious with those crane arms no teeth gum looking skreeonker. Looks like a damn lego
You stan an immobile industrial fridge with double A battery eyeballs and a powerwasher backpack :Mechagodzilla74:

With that said Kiryu takes this victory.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:12 pm And people are salivating over the new MV MG that looks atrocious with those crane arms no teeth gum looking skreeonker. Looks like a damn lego
Crane arms are fine, and the lego body I've kind of gotten used to. But metal gums is where I draw the line!

Anyway, for movie MGs, voted Showa. Such an incredibly evil looking machine, it effortlessly exudes so much personality. The weakest aspect may just be its roar, which while intimidating can get a bit grating. Super MG looks pretty awesome, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Showa, easily. So angular and mean looking. Finger missiles! His face always reminded me of nose art on aircraft. Heisei is probably the worst because it's pretty much the inverse of the Showa design in every possible way. Kiryu is cool though, but the MV MG is honestly kind of bland and forgettable. They tried to make it look too much like that specific Godzilla, and the head crest is sorely missed.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Hey TK your Showa Elitism is showing.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm a bit indifferent toward Mechagodzilla in general. Nothing against him, he's just not a favorite of mine. And I have yet to come across a design that totally works for me; I like elements of each of them, but none clicks as the definitive Mechagodzilla design.

I ended up voting for Showa... I kind of prefer the Heisei design and that awesome Plasma Grenade, but Showa wins for sheer devastating spectacle. Very few kaiju can match Showa MG in terms of being convincingly powerful and lethal. And I love the rainbow eye lasers. And, of course, Showa has the best movies.

Heisei has the best theme song by a very comfortable margin, I will say that.

It should be said that GvMG '74 is the MG movie I've seen most recently, too (not counting GvK), so some of my bias comes from that. I haven't seen '93 in about eight years, and I think I did like it quite a bit on that viewing. I just bought the Blu-ray the other day; I'll have to give it a rewatch soon, and see how it holds up.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:45 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:49 pm I’m asking favorite as a whole (design/incarnation)

:|

I didn't realize picking Showa was being contrarian.
Well, you learn something new everyday ;)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Showa for a couple reasons. For starters, the classic sci-fi robot aesthetic is more apparent with the Showa design. I find he has the most personality, and in the grand scheme this makes sense since most versions of Mechagodzilla are basically large tanks, but Showa (and yes, I know Kiryu has moments too) seems self-aware. Mechagodzilla II is wonderful, and his film is wonderful, but he is just a tank. I like the *concept* of Kiryu, and the design, but I felt they didn't execute it as well as I would have liked. MonsterVerse Mechagodzilla is pretty great, too, admittedly. But there's something about Mechagodzilla's pure jovial evil persona that really appeals to me; he is a sadistic prick and I love it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I like all of the MechaGodzillas. Heisei MG while lacking in visual personality is just this massive futuristic chrome battle tank with one of the most menacing themes in the series, the Super MG transformation is just iconic. Kiryu is awesome its sort of the inbetween of Showa and Heisei while its sleek and chrome like Heisei its got a lore more detail and textures plus its built off of 54's skeleton and soul he's just so cool looking with all his modifications

But I love Showa MG, I simply do. The finger missiles and weapons, the roar, the black hole aliens, the sort of real direct menace he has

I also like Monsterverse MG a lot

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Am I the only Heisei MG fan?

That's sad.

Damn showa elitists

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maritonic wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:39 am Mechagodzilla II is wonderful, and his film is wonderful, but he is just a tank.
I hope you mean Heisei and not MG75.
For Emperor and Empire!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:00 am Am I the only Heisei MG fan?

That's sad.

Damn showa elitists
MG2 is not my FVAORITE MG design but I AM a fan too and I have a soft spot for that design personally. I mean he's the ONLY Godzilla opponent who KILLED Godzilla.
Last edited by cloverfan98 on Sat May 08, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Gotta go Showa on this. It wasn't easy, however. It just has so much personality and I love its gadgets. Big TOMG fan actually.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Just save the rest of the other MG's misery.

You got your answer.

Congratulations it's a cute baby Showa MG.

Look at my shocked face :shock:
Last edited by goji89 on Sat May 08, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Showa
Kiryu
Heisei
Ready Player One/MonsterVerse
Anime

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm Just save the rest of the other MG's misery.

You got your answer.

Your silver rubber ducky will get his dues one day :angel:
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:31 pm
goji89 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:30 pm Just save the rest of the other MG's misery.

You got your answer.

Your silver rubber ducky will get his dues one day :angel:
But it will not be this day..... :cry:

Lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely
I have nobody for my own
Now I am so lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely
Last edited by goji89 on Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.