Be Honest: Do you think Godzilla vs. Gamera will EVER happen?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

Do you think there's still a chance for Godzilla and Gamera to cross over?

I think it's possible!
26%
I don't think so, but i could be wrong
26%
It could, but only in certain circumstances
31%
It has no chance of happening at all
17%

Total votes: 35

Gigantis
Sazer

Be Honest: Do you think Godzilla vs. Gamera will EVER happen?

Post by Gigantis »

Ah, the classic what-if story of Godzilla vs. Gamera, one of the most wanted films any kaiju fanatic could asks for. I'm pretty sure most people want it to happen, but the real question is..will it?

Despite their being a huge kaiju themed revival ever since 2012, (or so) Kadokawa still hasn't really full on said there's any plans to revive the Gamera franchise at the moment, despite the fact Kaneko said that there is apparently concepts for a new Gamera film being planned, but still nothing really confirmed. Godzilla meanwhile has enjoyed a huge boost of popularity in both Eastern and Western sides of the globe, and doesn't look like that's stopping anytime soon. Most people say that Gamera might need a crossover with the Godzilla Mythos to really get the franchise going again, but whether or not they would really go through it, or if Toho's gonna want to go through it, is pretty much up in the air.

In all honesty, i don't see why Toho would want to go through with it. Godzilla's already ranking in tons of money and doesn't really need to be mixed with a much more niche franchise going forward. Yeah Godzilla vs. Kong made a f-ton of cash, but Kong's a WAY better known monster than Gamera is, and probably ever will be. And if Kadokawa is planning to make a Gamera comeback (again, nothing confirmed, but let's hope for the best here) the fact they already might have a plot in use means that they would use that going forward, and they're probably not gonna make it set up a big GVG crossover. (unless they surprise us)

So at the moment, a Godzilla vs. Gamera crosssover seems pretty unlikely. Will that change? Who knows? Crazier things have happened in the Godzilla franchise as of late.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Be Honest: Do you think Godzilla vs. Gamera will EVER happen?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

It could happen, when all the stars align

Joking aside I think it’s possible but it gonna be a lot of talk and work to get this movie off the ground

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Sure, it could happen.

We never thought a remake of King Kong vs Godzilla would happen, but look where we are now.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

One day we’ll get the two crossing paths. I never thought we’d get an attraction ride with Godzilla brawling with Evangelion characters or a Godzilla Vs. Kong rematch.

Do I think it’ll happen soon? Not likely. Do I think it could happen at some point? Probably. We just gotta wait.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Not in my lifetime.

But it would be so cool if it did. But if it hasn't happened in all these years since their debuts then I doubt it'll happen now.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The only way it would be possible is if Gamera came back and started making bank in his own series. Then Toho might be willing to cooperate with Kadokawa. The idea of Gamera being revived with a Godzilla crossover is utterly silly, though. That would just be Toho pulling their competition back onto its feet, and why in the world should they, as a business, want to do that? Kong, being American, semi-public domain, and having already been connected with Godzilla since the beginning, is a very different story.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'd never thought we'd get to see Godzilla and Kong face off again so anything is possible. To be honest IF we got a GvG I believe it would be far more likely that GvG happens within the MonsterVerse before Toho actually produces one within their studios.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Well, you never know, but Gamera's fate is looking more and more uncertain to me, he hasn't been able to thrive alongside Godzilla since the Showa era with the height of the monster boom backing him up. Daiei/Kadokawa have largely resorted to resurrecting the character only after Godzilla goes into another 'retirement' - Heisei Gamera was born the year Heisei Godzilla died, and Gamera the Brave bombed two years after Godzilla: Final Wars also bombed. And I'm not sure where that 50th anniversary short fits in, but if it was a proof of concept for a reboot it obviously fell flat.

Sure we've got those Arrow sets, but I'd be really surprised if anything happens anytime soon (pleasantly surprised, but still).

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt we will see it. While Godzilla has enjoyed fame and profitability over the years, Gamera has not. Toho might do it if Gamera can create a big comeback, but we'll have to wait and see about that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

No, I don't think it will ever happen. But it's not impossible. I'm torn between "I don't think so, but i could be wrong" and "It could, but only in certain circumstances". I went with "but I could be wrong" just because I don't have to think up what those "certain circumstances" might be.

So yeah, it's not impossible, but no, truthfully I don't think it will ever happen. I honestly think Godzilla vs Ultraman is more likely to happen then that, and even that I think will never happen. It's just slightly less never gonna happen than Godzilla vs Gamera.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I mean...from now to the end of time? I get a feeling it WILL happen eventually.

Any time soon? Clearly not. But I mean...I remember I wrote a 'wish list' for my 13th Birthday of things I wanted to see happen in movies. I want a new american Godzilla movie, a new american King Kong movie, and a crossover between the two.

Took nearly 16 years but it eventually happened.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 pm I mean...from now to the end of time? I get a feeling it WILL happen eventually.

Any time soon? Clearly not. But I mean...I remember I wrote a 'wish list' for my 13th Birthday of things I wanted to see happen in movies. I want a new american Godzilla movie, a new american King Kong movie, and a crossover between the two.

Thank you for your wish..... but, couldnt you have wished for them to be at least good with a better script . Way to ruin it for most of us Chrispy_G.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

goji89 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:47 pm
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 pm I mean...from now to the end of time? I get a feeling it WILL happen eventually.

Thank you for your wish..... but, couldnt you have wished for them to be at least good with a better script . Way to ruin it for most of us Chrispy_G.
Hey, I love the Monsterverse films, and GvK feels like it was made in a special factory just for me. I will shamelessly admit that "Godzilla wins" was on that wish-list, too.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Chrispy_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm I will shamelessly admit that "Godzilla wins" was on that wish-list, too.
O.k I'll forgive you just for that alone. But careful with your wishes next time.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

This, so much this. We finally get a huge Hollywood spectacular Godzilla vs Kong, and every moment the two aren't attacking each other is just the worst slog to get through of almost any kaiju movie ever the writing was so bad...

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Chrispy_G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Hey, I love the Monsterverse films, and GvK feels like it was made in a special factory just for me. I will shamelessly admit that "Godzilla wins" was on that wish-list, too.
Godzilla won, but at what cost? Good god man, but at what heinous cost???

Edit: Look, I get that some people are just so giddy over the awesome fight and Godzilla winning they can forgive the film's faults. But I just can't get past it being such a bad movie.
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed May 19, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

No, I don't see it happening in an official movie, especially not in a Japanese one. And I do hope it never happens.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Vakanai wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:09 pm This, so much this. We finally get a huge Hollywood spectacular Godzilla vs Kong, and every moment the two aren't attacking each other is just the worst slog to get through of almost any kaiju movie ever the writing was so bad...
Each to their own. I thought the 'writing' was perfectly good, ESPECIALLY for this genre and some of the "triumphs" of scriptwriting we've endured in the past. Because the films of the 60s and 70s were so compelling with their human dynamics. The millennium series were SO well written with their black hole cannons and whatever the hell Final Wars was even trying to be. Maybe they should have thrown in a nonsense time travel plot to make the film feel a bit more "legit"...

Godzilla vs Kong holds the record for the number of times I saw a film in the theater(and it isn't a low number)

It was a pure experience. It didn't bother being anything more convoluted than it needed to be. It was quite straightforward and infinitely enjoyable...and each to their own but it didn't make me feel stupid for watching it like a Transformers movie typically does.

Out of ALL of the modern giant monster films we've had...I would certainly put it as the top with KOTM as my strong 2nd. Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, G14...a lot of them had issues, the type of issues that held them back and allowed GvK to soar

It felt like after 3 Monsterverse films that each ALMOST got it perfect in their own way...GvK FINALLY understood how to be exactly what it needed to be. To embrace all of the great spectacle of what these films can be without being bogged down by the things that usually kill the experience. Like G14 needlessly padding itself to a 2 hour runtime when that is frankly a 100 minute movie trying to be otherwise.

Each to their own, but I unironically name that as one of my absolute favorite films of all time. I've never been pushed to feel so invested in the monster dynamic and monster "character" in one of these movies as I was here. Kong had a shockingly emotional dynamic throughout the film.

The visual storytelling, the music, the cinematography, the action and spectacle. It was also pleasantly economic, it didn't need to be a 150 minute, poorly paced slog.

On top of all of the superficial things that are totally worth enjoying like: Including a synthwave song(even if only for about 10 seconds), Godzilla winning, having Brian Tyree Henry playing an Alex Jones-esque character, a Godzilla theme named after my home state.

I can go on and on about all of the purely superficial as well as the more nuanced ways that film delivered and entertained. If this film is somehow regarded as 'bad' among hardcore kaiju fan circles...then I truly am on a different level of understanding and appreciation than the rest of them and I'm not sure what the hell it would take to please them.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Thu May 20, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Chrispy_G wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:46 pm
Vakanai wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:09 pm This, so much this. We finally get a huge Hollywood spectacular Godzilla vs Kong, and every moment the two aren't attacking each other is just the worst slog to get through of almost any kaiju movie ever the writing was so bad...
Each to their own. I thought the 'writing' was perfectly good, ESPECIALLY for this genre and some of the "triumphs" of scriptwriting we've endured in the past. Because the films of the 60s and 70s were so compelling with their human dynamics. The millennium series were SO well written with their black hole cannons and whatever the hell Final Wars was even trying to be. Maybe they should have thrown in a nonsense time travel plot to make the film feel a bit more "legit"...
The fact that 'writing' needs '' around it kind of suggests that no, it was not perfectly good. EVEN FOR THIS GENRE. Like we've never had well written movies before. Yes this genre's produced some crap scripts - but what genre hasn't? But we don't make this same excuse for every other genre in the sun.
We've had bad films before. This was one of them. And while your opinion may differ, in mine...this was one of the worst. While other films had stupid scripts, at least it felt like they actually had scripts...
Godzilla vs Kong holds the record for the number of times I saw a film in the theater(and it isn't a low number)
That's good for you. I never said there was anything wrong in loving and watching a bad movie a bunch. Doesn't make it not a bad movie though.
It was a pure experience. It didn't bother being anything more convoluted than it needed to be. It was quite straightforward and infinitely enjoyable...and each to their own but it didn't make me feel stupid for watching it like a Transformers movie typically does.
A "pure" experience? Sure, if that experience is nothing more than "Monkey punch lizard, lizard stomp monkey." And that "convoluted" stuff is called a script, direction, and acting.
And to each their own, but it was dumber than the first Bay Transformers without a doubt.
Out of ALL of the modern giant monster films we've had...I would certainly put it as the top with KOTM as my strong 2nd. Cloverfield, Pacific Rim, G14...a lot of them had issues, the type of issues that held them back and allowed GvK to soar
The only "issues" those other movies had were making sure that the bits between the fighting scenes weren't mindless...
It felt like after 3 Monsterverse films that each ALMOST got it perfect in their own way...GvK FINALLY understood how to be exactly what it needed to be. To embrace all of the great spectacle of what these films can be without being bogged down by the things that usually kill the experience. Like G14 needlessly padding itself to a 2 hour runtime when that is frankly a 100 minute movie trying to be otherwise.
I disagree. To me, it felt like after 3 films that almost got it perfect in their own way...they suddenly gave up and crapped out. This was the film that stopped trying to be good, and it succeeded with flying colors in the goal of not being good.
Each to their own, but I unironically name that as one of my absolute favorite films of all time. I've never been pushed to feel so invested in the monster dynamic and monster "character" in one of these movies as I was here. Kong had a shockingly emotional dynamic throughout the film.
Each to their own, but I unironically name this as one of the worst Godzilla or Kong movies of all time.
The visual storytelling, the music, the cinematography, the action and spectacle. It was also pleasantly economic, it didn't need to be a 150 minute, poorly paced slog.
There was no visual storytelling. Storytelling requires plot.
But yes, the action and spectacle was the best it ever has been. Which if that's all you want, makes this the best movie. Sadly, that's all it has, so if you ever care about anything beyond the action and spectacle, this isn't good.
On top of all of the superficial things that are totally worth enjoying like: Including a synthwave song(even if only for about 10 seconds), Godzilla winning, having Brian Tyree Henry playing an Alex Jones-esque character, a Godzilla theme named after my home state.
On top of? All it has are superficial things.
I can go on and on about all of the purely superficial as well as the more nuanced ways that film delivered and entertained. If this film is somehow regarded as 'bad' among hardcore kaiju fan circles...then I truly am on a different level of understanding and appreciation than the rest of them and I'm not sure what the hell it would take to please them.
And I could go on and on about how this film disappointed, did not deliver on story, did not deliver on direction, did not deliver in acting, did not deliver in characterization. Definitely did not deliver in comprehensible plot.

All this film did well, was the CGI. The spectacle and monster action. That's all it did well. For some people, that's literally all that mattered. You deliver on the cool action fighting visuals, it's the best ever. For others of us...that's just not enough. I'd have gladly given up the quality of a lot of that action and spectacle in exchange for making the stuff in between those fight scenes tolerable or interesting. But...they're not.

Basically, if you cut out the fight scenes, post them up on youtube, and only watch that? You'd have the same experience. This "movie" was only fight scene clips disguised as a film. It only exists to watch the fight scenes and not care about anything else.

Added in 3 minutes 25 seconds:
Also, what it would take to "please" some hardcore fans?
Watch the first two films in the franchise and Shin. I was already pleased before this...