Favorite Memories In The Fanbase

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Favorite Memories In The Fanbase

Post by ROMG4 »

So its been on my mind for a while, Garethzilla and Shin are 6 and 5 years old respectively, and a lot sure has happened since those films were announced and release. So I thought why not have a thread dedicated to remembering some fond times you've experienced in the fanbase

I still remember 2014's reveal quite vividly, all the mystery behind the production, the set photos from Vancouver, the leaked Godzilla designs, the first picture showing the Brody's, the excitement when that comic con 2012 trailer got leaked online, the interactive Monarch site. However I think my fondest memory was when the trailer first dropped

Just an absolute blast
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed May 05, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Favorite Memories In The Fanbase

Post by Voyager »

Shin vs 2014 debates. God those were awesome. Being on a call with 5+ friends arguing for hours on end. Also joining TK.
Last edited by Voyager on Wed May 05, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The man who couldn't find the enter key will always be my favorite TK moment.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

The hype and build up to Godzilla 2014 was classic for me. The first glimmer of Godzilla content in years, the speculation on the designs, who the villains were going to be, the marketing... I had a whole friend group watching it together when it finally came out and it was legendary (no pun intended.)
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hearing that Godzilla 2 was gonna feature Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah and the announcement Toho was planning to bring back the Japanese Godzilla. Those two moments just screamed to me "KAIJU GENRE'S BACK BABY, LET'S GOOOOOOOOO!"

Hearing that Godzilla was getting an anime literally a month after Shin was nice to hear.. even if the end result didn't turn out too well.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm The hype and build up to Godzilla 2014 was classic for me. The first glimmer of Godzilla content in years, the speculation on the designs, who the villains were going to be, the marketing... I had a whole friend group watching it together when it finally came out and it was legendary (no pun intended.)
Oh yeah, I almost couldn't believe it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Honestly the hype for Final Wars was pretty fun. Especially knowing it was a DAM style film and speculation at which kaiju were going to appear. Slowly revealing the promotional art and seeing all the new designs. Seeing the suit reveals and all the promo shoots of the suit actors standing side by side in-costume.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Opening night for GvK

Wow, that theater was packed to the brim with Godzilla fans

The cheers were so loud when Godzilla drilled that big ass hole and when Kong saved Goji...i’ve only ever heard that before once during Endgame
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Watching the first trailers for both KOTM and GvK.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gamera 3 at the Egyptian Theatre, G-Fest '99, with both Shusuke Kaneko and Noriyaki Yuasa in attendance. The crowd had a great energy, the response was incredible, and the Q&A afterward was really fun. I remember Yuasa commenting that he felt Gamera saving the little kid in Shibuya suggested a return to his "friend of all children" identity (perhaps Yuasa was not the most attuned to irony...); and that Kaneko, who mostly spoke through an interpreter, answered one question in English: when someone asked, regarding the trilogy's cast, "What's with all the chicks?" Kaneko replied, in an authoritative tone, "Gamera is man."
Last edited by eabaker on Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

eabaker wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:52 am and that Kaneko, who mostly spoke through an interpreter, answered one question in English: when someone asked, regarding the trilogy's cast, "What's with all the chicks?" Kaneko replied, in an authoritative tone, "Gamera is man."
Goddamnit, i wish there was some video of the event and him saying that. Fucking hilarious :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Clearly eabaker wins the thread.

I'll toss in another mention of G14 hype. The day the SDCC trailer dropped was insane, because prior to that we couldn't really believe the movie was real. There had been talk and minor marketing for years, but nothing concrete until then. And suddenly, all of that changed, and there were just hundreds of people on the site freaking out all at once. It was a blast, watching the information trickle into the thread a little at a time. My favorite post, from just after the confirmation that a trailer had been shown, was RedZillaKing's "Are you people READING this SHIT?!" :lol:

The Pacific Rim trailer dropping was a big one, too. Bigger even than G14, in its way, just because it was the first 'proper' American kaiju film. GINO was GINO, and Cloverfield was too unconventional to really count. PR was going to be the real deal, and that was so exciting. I definitely got carried away with it, talking about how we weren't going to need Godzilla anymore. :lol: Good times.

And then there was Vegagate. It was kind of horrifying at the time, but also just an amazing thing to live through. You new people will never get the true Toho Kingdom experience, and that's sad. Watching all of the Unbanned come swaggering back in like supervillains let out of Arkham was one of the most ridiculous and surreal things I've ever seen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:18 am Has anyone ever been to Japan? I want to go in 2024 for the anniversary.
I went in 2000. It was a very haphazard trip, just a friend and I crashing in a little Tokyo hotel for two weeks, and each day hopping on the subway and picking a random destination. Didn't check out any Toho-specific sites, I'm afraid. It was a fun, interesting trip, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

eabaker wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:23 am
shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:18 am Has anyone ever been to Japan? I want to go in 2024 for the anniversary.
I went in 2000. It was a very haphazard trip, just a friend and I crashing in a little Tokyo hotel for two weeks, and each day hopping on the subway and picking a random destination. Didn't check out any Toho-specific sites, I'm afraid. It was a fun, interesting trip, though.
I want to go at a good time when there are events going on lol, trying to plan it now. I assume they have to do something for the 70th anniversary.