Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Voyager wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:38 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:28 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:26 pm Mechagodzilla from RPO is so bland and meh, it gives me no feeling. It just feels so "modern movie".
Those are fighting words, buddy.
KiryuGoji is just watered down MireGoji.
Now you're just delusional.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:40 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:28 pm

Those are fighting words, buddy.
Heisei King Ghidorah is a better de-mystifed version of KG than MV's.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:42 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:40 pm

Heisei King Ghidorah is a better de-mystifed version of KG than MV's.
he’s a madman, a madman
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Saying MV Ghidorah is a de-mystified incarnation of the character is like saying that the Confederacy didn't have slaves.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

NSZ wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:16 pm Saying MV Ghidorah is a de-mystified incarnation of the character is like saying that the Confederacy didn't have slaves.
So… saying that MV Ghidorah is de-mystified is akin to denying a centuries-long atrocity? Bad take to say the least.

His appearance certainly loses the mystic charm.

Added in 6 minutes 9 seconds:
Like damn that take is actually distasteful
For Emperor and Empire!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

NSZ wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:16 pm Saying MV Ghidorah is a de-mystified incarnation of the character is like saying that the Confederacy didn't have slaves.
Toho Kingdom is fucking wild because you can say shit like this and not have metaphorical tomatoes thrown at you.

What was your thought process writing this and posting this.
Last edited by Moth on Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:36 pm
So… saying that MV Ghidorah is de-mystified is akin to denying a centuries-long atrocity? Bad take to say the least.

His appearance certainly loses the mystic charm.

Added in 6 minutes 9 seconds:
Like damn that take is actually distasteful
I mean, I don't know how you can look at THIS incarnation of Ghidorah and say he lost a "mystic" charm.

MV gave Ghidorah an aura of intimidation he has not had since his original appearance, the embodiment of what Ghidorah was meant to be.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

My apologies. I genuinely did not mean anything distasteful. I simply meant that MV Ghidorah being a de-mystified incarnation is an egregiously factually incorrect statement that can be easily disproven. It's extremely late where I am, and this is why I should not respond to wild takes this late at night.

And I do believe I am getting metaphorical tomatoes thrown at me.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I just love how mythical and divine the Showa design is, and i guess I base every KG design on how I love the showa one :shrug:
For Emperor and Empire!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Yeah, I'm not really buying the whole "demystified' thing.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This panel from one of Dark Horse's Godzilla comics might not have been intended to be a redesign but it does look different enough from any Godzilla to count for me. It takes all my problems with the Kawakita Heisei design and throws them out the window, leaving only the good stuff.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:38 am This panel from one of Dark Horse's Godzilla comics might not have been intended to be a redesign but it does look different enough from any Godzilla to count for me. It takes all my problems with the Kawakita Heisei design and throws them out the window, leaving only the good stuff.
Looks just a tad bit too anorexic for my tastes.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:38 am This panel from one of Dark Horse's Godzilla comics might not have been intended to be a redesign but it does look different enough from any Godzilla to count for me. It takes all my problems with the Kawakita Heisei design and throws them out the window, leaving only the good stuff.
*Godzilla comic pic*
That illustration actually predates Kawakita's Godzilla films by around two years, as the comic it was featured in was released in 1987.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I really am liking the new redesign of Gabora and Neronga from the new Shin Ultraman movie

Original Gabora
Shin Gabora
Original Neronga
Shin Neronga
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SHOWA GODZILLA?!?!? IS THAT YOU!!?!?!?

Nah for real, Toho, take some notes from this panel for that upcoming Showa Era Anime I’m hoping for :P
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

What in the shi**ing universe was going on in your head when you said this?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

You see, I don’t like how the MV Ghidorah is passed off as something greater, something divine and mystical, yet his design doesn’t portray it. Hence why I like Showa and Heisei more. Showa’s design fits the grandiose, space-destroyer character he is, and Heisei Ghidorah’s demystified design fits his demystified character.

MV tries to be one, but his design serves the other. I hope that gives an explanation.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 pm You see, I don’t like how the MV Ghidorah is passed off as something greater, something divine and mystical, yet his design doesn’t portray it. Hence why I like Showa and Heisei more. Showa’s design fits the grandiose, space-destroyer character he is, and Heisei Ghidorah’s demystified design fits his demystified character.

MV tries to be one, but his design serves the other. I hope that gives an explanation.
Ghidorah is portrayed in the MV as something alien. An invasive being that doesn't fit the natural order, and the aura of evil it gives off I think serves it quite well. I don't know how you can look at something like this and not see a larger than life quality to it.

The design to me is the scariest Ghidorah has ever been portrayed visually.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:34 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:08 pm You see, I don’t like how the MV Ghidorah is passed off as something greater, something divine and mystical, yet his design doesn’t portray it. Hence why I like Showa and Heisei more. Showa’s design fits the grandiose, space-destroyer character he is, and Heisei Ghidorah’s demystified design fits his demystified character.

Ghidorah is portrayed in the MV as something alien. An invasive being that doesn't fit the natural order, and the aura of evil it gives off I think serves it quite well. I don't know how you can look at something like this and not see a larger than life quality to it.

The design to me is the scariest Ghidorah has ever been portrayed visually.
It’s simply too Earthly looking.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m personally on the side of the MV gave us the Ghidorah that we were promised since GTTHD. MV Ghidorah potential was done perfectly as a World conqueror and an invasive species from the stars.

Added in 1 minute 57 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm It’s simply too Earthly looking.
I do agree with your statement that it looks too much that it’s from earth rather than space, but I think this is a safe bet they did rather than going full out on the alien design