Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Best And Worse Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:41 am
Voyager wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:04 am MV Kong has a stupidly large head. Looks like a funko pop, bro.
Me explaining how you’re objectively incorrect and that your take is utter shite (which it is)

https://youtu.be/yxwUlkyFGnI
He's not wrong though.....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am
edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm MV Rodan is the best redesign of the kaiju pterasaur. The head looks fantastic, and it has a great profile when seen in the air.
I think it pretty much the best design for Rodan that is based on bird, so much better than Heisei which looks like a red Siegel
I think you mean "seagull".

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm MV Rodan is the best redesign of the kaiju pterasaur. The head looks fantastic, and it has a great profile when seen in the air.
I think it pretty much the best design for Rodan that is based on bird, so much better than Heisei which looks like a red Siegel
Maybe he meant "Seagal" like the actor......

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Okay, that's possible, too.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:04 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:56 pm I think you mean "seagull".
Okay, that's possible, too.
Looked it up, Siegel means Seal in German.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:49 pm SciFi Japan says:
The first animation completed for the series, the Main Title features each of the lead characters and effectively set up the look and style of GODZILLA: THE SERIES. Along with Crustaceous Rex (the mutation introduced in the first story arc), the sequence shows several early monster designs that never appeared in any of the episodes. As these designs were created before most of the scripts had been finished, the monsters were given random names for identification purposes… some of which will be familiar to Toho fans. The beast that swoops past the Statue of Liberty is called the Flying Gigan (though it is often misidentified in publicity material as the Giant Bat from MONSTER WAR). Near the end of the title sequence, the Flying Gigan joins Gus the Spider, Megalon, and Manda the Worm for a confrontation with Godzilla.
So it's not supposed to be an official or unofficial version of Gigan, it's name is just an homage.
Oh, so they slap on the names on a random Monsters to identify them, I guess that make sense

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Here's one I think is a great redesign, even if it's for animation:
Subtle tweaks here and there to make him work better as an animated model, but it works way better for me as a take on Godzilla than the actual film version.

I don't know if this counts since it's not strictly a kaiju but...
I have a lot of love for Final Wars in my heart, so I have a fondness for FW Gotengo... but this design just strips everything that makes the original Gotengo design so perfect.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Not that I dislike the design or anything but it would've been cooler if the new Gotengo had been damaged/destroyed during the initial alien invasion/monster attack, forcing the heroes to pull the original out of storage or something. That way the same one that put Godzilla to sleep wakes him up. ('It's like poetry, it rhymes.')

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Daimajin's back from his 11-year-slumber and he looks absolutely amazing!
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Awwww shiyt, here we go again.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Two perfect redesigns of Anguirus.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:01 pm Two perfect redesigns of Anguirus.
The SP redesign is really decent and I’m glad that Anguirus is getting some love in SP. Same goes for GMK, I really do wish that we gotten to see the original script of GMK

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

MOGUERA Heisei did not impress me as a Moguera. A name that is supposed to be a pun on the Japanese word for "mole". The burrowing aspect was pretty much completely gone and limited to Land Moguera. Also somehow harder to buy it burrowing at high speeds compared to Battra.

I do love the transformation aspect and tank treads though and feel that works great for future redesigns. Be it combining into another Mecha or perhaps shifting into a more "bestial" mode that resembles the early Mysterians concept art where it was concieved as a cyborg.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gonna quickly necro this thread with Singular Point's Mothra!
She's actually my 3rd favorite Mothra design (2nd if you only count ones that actually got used).

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:39 am Gonna quickly necro this thread with Singular Point's Mothra!
She's actually my 3rd favorite Mothra design (2nd if you only count ones that actually got used).
I was really hoping Monsterverse Mothra was gonna look like this. What are your other top Mothras out of curiosity?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:21 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:39 am Gonna quickly necro this thread with Singular Point's Mothra!
I was really hoping Monsterverse Mothra was gonna look like this. What are your other top Mothras out of curiosity?
Tokyo SOS/Final Wars and the scrapped Mothra vs Bagan design.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Right on. I have to admit I usually clown on Bagan but Mothra vs Bagan would have been awesome to see.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:15 pm Right on. I have to admit I usually clown on Bagan but Mothra vs Bagan would have been awesome to see.

She would have gotten stomped, you basically want to see Mothra get her ass handed to her.

I initiate Bagan War
Last edited by goji89 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm She would have gotten stomped, you basically want to see Mothra get her ass handed to her.

I initiate Bagan War
TBF, at least the script called for Mothra's babies to skreoonk Bagan over with their holy webbing and then she would've kamikazied herself to drown the both of them. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:53 pm
goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 pm She would have gotten stomped, you basically want to see Mothra get her ass handed to her.

I initiate Bagan War
TBF, at least the script called for Mothra's babies to skreoonk Bagan over with their holy webbing and then she would've kamikazied herself to drown the both of them. :P
So Godzilla v Mothra again......?

Yawn.