Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Re: Best And Worse Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Breakdown wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:31 am Gonna go against the grain and say I really like the Anime MechaGodzilla's design. It does look a busy, but it also looks alien. As others have said, I just wish we could have saw it in action. That fan animation was the closest we'll ever get and it makes it all the more frustrating that the studio was unwilling or unable to deliver.
Agreed. The Anime design was alien, and really made you think it was a rival to Godzilla- an enemy that could not only match the King of the Monsters, but surpass it. I loved the random little spikes and angular design, and how it was distinct from the also metallic Godzilla Earth. The head also helped emphasize the alien quality of Mechagodzilla as well.

Also, according to the creators, Nanometal programming errors are partially why this MG was so asymmetric and somewhat ‘messy’.

If only they’d had the Vultures be replaced by mini-Mechagodzillas, then it would be truly brilliant...

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:44 pm MV Rodan is the best redesign of the kaiju pterasaur. The head looks fantastic, and it has a great profile when seen in the air.
I think it pretty much the best design for Rodan that is based on bird, so much better than Heisei which looks like a red Seagulls
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 23, 2021 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

There's a toyetic aspect to the Ready Player One and MonsterVerse Mechagodzillas that reminds me of this Zoids thing from Godzilla 1985 -

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tbeasley wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:29 pm There's a toyetic aspect to the Ready Player One and MonsterVerse Mechagodzillas that reminds me of this Zoids thing from Godzilla 1985 -

Toyetic? Honestly of all the Mechagodzilla designs the only one I presumed was toy like was the Heisei Mechagodzilla as it looked like a stiff action figure or model.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

For me, I think the best redesigns for the Big Five are:

Godzilla:

Rodan:

Mothra:

King Ghidorah:

MechaGodzilla:
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Mon May 17, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:05 pm For me, I think the best redesigns for the Big Five are:

Godzilla:

Rodan:

Mothra:

King Ghidorah:

MechaGodzilla:

Talk about unpopular.

I think the best redesigns for the big five outside of the original Showa era (so I don’t just give the Showa (re)designs for Rodan, Goji and MG).

Godzilla: BioGoji
Mothra: SOS
King Ghidorah: GKG
Rodan: Legendary
Mechagodzilla: GxMG/SOS
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I still think 100% that MV Goji, or DougheGoji to be exact, is the single best Godzilla design in the entire franchise

The designers at Legendary caught lightning in a damn bottle for The big four TOHO kaiju and Kong. All 5 of them are loved immensely by the fandom, so much so that DougheGoji consistently wins every “favorite Godzilla design” poll on Reddit and Twitter I’ve seen and has become iconic in his own right

GareGoji was great. DougheGoji took Gare and improved on it a hundredfold. GvK improved it even more by improving that badass blue glow and making it somewhat permanent

That being said...there are some more improvements to make. I feel the proportions should be tweaked for his arms and head specifically to look more like this

^^^
That would make everyone happy
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:43 am Talk about unpopular.
Isn't it glorious? :huge:
Voyager wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:43 am I think the best redesigns for the big five outside of the original Showa era (so I don’t just give the Showa (re)designs for Rodan, Goji and MG).

Badass list. 8-)
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:43 am Talk about unpopular.
Isn't it glorious? :huge:
Voyager wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:43 am I think the best redesigns for the big five outside of the original Showa era (so I don’t just give the Showa (re)designs for Rodan, Goji and MG).

Badass list. 8-)
Thank you :huge:
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:45 am I still think 100% that MV Goji, or DougheGoji to be exact, is the single best Godzilla design in the entire franchise

The designers at Legendary caught lightning in a damn bottle for The big four TOHO kaiju and Kong. All 5 of them are loved immensely by the fandom, so much so that DougheGoji consistently wins every “favorite Godzilla design” poll on Reddit and Twitter I’ve seen and has become iconic in his own right

GareGoji was great. DougheGoji took Gare and improved on it a hundredfold. GvK improved it even more by improving that badass blue glow and making it somewhat permanent

That being said...there are some more improvements to make. I feel the proportions should be tweaked for his arms and head specifically to look more like this

^^^
It’s a Beauty to this redesign, It’s so perfect, and not to mention how brutal he is in combat which IMO make him even more of a badass
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue May 18, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:45 am I still think 100% that MV Goji, or DougheGoji to be exact, is the single best Godzilla design in the entire franchise

^^^
I'd say the slapped-on Toho spines and stump tail kinda ruin it for me but it's definitely in A-tier.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm I'd say the slapped-on Toho spines and stump tail kinda ruin it for me but it's definitely in A-tier.
While i do agree with sharpening the tail again, i don’t get whats so “slapped on” about Doughe’s spines, especially in GvK. Gare and Doughe’s spines have the same texture and the exact same forward facing profile, just Doughe’s being bigger

It’s not exactly like TOHO spines either, since they’re the same color as the rest of his body and have those badass patterns. I think they look like bigger, cooler, reformed/matured G14 spines
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:26 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:01 pm I'd say the slapped-on Toho spines and stump tail kinda ruin it for me but it's definitely in A-tier.
While i do agree with sharpening the tail again, i don’t get whats so “slapped on” about Doughe’s spines, especially in GvK. Gare and Doughe’s spines have the same texture and the exact same forward facing profile, just Doughe’s being bigger

It’s not exactly like TOHO spines either, since they’re the same color as the rest of his body and have those badass patterns. I think they look like bigger, cooler, reformed/matured G14 spines
To me, they just look like 1954 spines with Monsterverse textures. It's not as big of a prolem as the tail but it's still a bit off-putting.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I know its only kinda a redisgn but not exactly but Godzilla Terrestria is really growing on me. I honestly think the Bandai figure looks really cool.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MV Kong has a stupidly large head. Looks like a funko pop, bro.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun May 23, 2021 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^
All-out war between Voyager and Jermo in 3... 2...
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun May 23, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:04 am MV Kong has a stupidly large head. Looks like a funko pop, bro.
Me explaining how you’re objectively incorrect and that your take is utter shite (which it is)

https://youtu.be/yxwUlkyFGnI

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun May 23, 2021 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gigan Redesigns
The Best: Final Wars Gigan
Imagethis Gigan design is so badass and edgy I I love him for it, I’m also might biased because when I was young I had a Bandi toy of him

The Worst: Godzilla the series Flying Gigan Image I have no words for this, what is this, he doesn’t resemble him in the slightest, why? I know this concept art and didn’t make it into the main show, but it did made it into the show intro, so it counts in my book
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

SciFi Japan says:
The first animation completed for the series, the Main Title features each of the lead characters and effectively set up the look and style of GODZILLA: THE SERIES. Along with Crustaceous Rex (the mutation introduced in the first story arc), the sequence shows several early monster designs that never appeared in any of the episodes. As these designs were created before most of the scripts had been finished, the monsters were given random names for identification purposes… some of which will be familiar to Toho fans. The beast that swoops past the Statue of Liberty is called the Flying Gigan (though it is often misidentified in publicity material as the Giant Bat from MONSTER WAR). Near the end of the title sequence, the Flying Gigan joins Gus the Spider, Megalon, and Manda the Worm for a confrontation with Godzilla.
So it's not supposed to be an official or unofficial version of Gigan, it's name is just an homage.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.