Which of the Toho Big 4 do you think is most ready for a solo film?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Which one can branch off of the Godzilla brand best?

Mothra
41%
Rodan
39%
King Ghidorah
10%
Mechagodzilla
10%

Total votes: 71

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Which of the Toho Big 4 do you think is most ready for a solo film?

Post by Tohosaurus »

The mythology and lore around Mothra makes the idea of a Mothra film a more complete sell in my opinion. Rodan is cool and lots of fans seem to want a Rodan movie, but from the general population's perspective I fear Rodan is too one-dimensional and generic. That said, a re-imagined Rodan could add more weight to the character like Kaneko did with the 1990s Gamera trilogy.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mothra would be easiest. But Rodan vs Megaguiris is something I've wanted to see for a long long time.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Mothra is the most protagonist-like of all the Kaiju, and we've already had her son take the reigns in the Rebirth of Mothra Series so it would be far from a wild option.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I would definitely go with Mr. Sora No Daikaiju himself. Mothra got an entire solo trilogy; Rodan could just as easily hold his own spotlight in a solo film or two. After this long since his debut film, the Giant Monster of the Skies deserves it.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Mothra as she's done it before, while Rodan is a close second.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Breakdown wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm
Breakdown wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm MechaGodzilla can't really exist without Godzilla, it's literally in it's name. The only way it would work is if it was a spinoff of a film where both it and Godzilla were already established. Mothra already had 4 movies of her own.

I honestly wouldn't want Ghidorah in a solo flick because he's Godzilla's nemesis, and it was already baffling enough to see him in RoM without Godzilla. Again, it could really only work as a spinoff.
Yeah, because everyone knows how Joker in 2019 flopped hard :roll: . I understand it did technically have Batman in it, but it was only Bruce Wayne as a child and he never donned the suit.

Also, Breakdown proved a point how how MG literally can't exist without normal G, such a film can really only work as a spinoff with the latter established in-universe beforehand. That is one thing that hinders 2018's Venom and its upcoming sequel.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun May 23, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm
Breakdown wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 pm

I honestly wouldn't want Ghidorah in a solo flick because he's Godzilla's nemesis, and it was already baffling enough to see him in RoM without Godzilla. Again, it could really only work as a spinoff.
Yeah, because everyone knows how Joker in 2019 flopped hard :roll: . I understand it did technically have Batman in it, but it was only Bruce Wayne as a child and he never donned the suit.

Also, since somebody else brought up how MG literally can't exist without normal G, such a film can really only work as a spinoff with the latter established in-universe beforehand. That is one thing that hinders 2018's Venom and its upcoming sequel.
IDK, they made a Venom movie without Spider-Man. So a Mecha G film without Godzilla doesn't seem as far fetched.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

But the Joker and venom worked because they garnered sympathy. KG should have none and what would gravitate one to a villain is they have emotions and I think KG shouldn't.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:04 pm But the Joker and venom worked because they garnered sympathy. KG should have none and what would gravitate one to a villain is they have emotions and I think KG shouldn't.
IDK man I feel you could easily frame a KG movie around his would-be victims and make it a more grim dark style Kaiju film. Like an attack on an alien civilization showing their final days.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:04 pm But the Joker and venom worked because they garnered sympathy. KG should have none and what would gravitate one to a villain is they have emotions and I think KG shouldn't.
Godzilla did not necessarily have to garner sympathy in Shin for it to resonate with audiences. If not, a theoretical solo Ghidorah film could potentially make up for it if it succeeds in the department of the human side of things.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun May 23, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Godzilla did not necessarily have to garner sympathy in Shin for it to resonate with audiences.
It kinda did. We see it loose blood as it was on land, we see it being bombarded and attacked, even with the musical score it gave the impression that it was hurt and it lashed out. But that's just my opinion on it though.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Godzilla did not necessarily have to garner sympathy in Shin for it to resonate with audiences. If not, a theoretical solo Ghidorah film could potentially make up for it if it succeeds in the department of the human side of things.
He did garner sympathy in that film, albeit just in a different way.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

King Ghidorah would do great as a fantasy epic set on another planet. Create a rich wonderful world like Jim Henson’s Dark Crystal, or one of those Space Utopias. And have King Ghidorah arrive and just tear things up.

And then either having Ghidorah repelled or defeated; or it be a tragedy setting up another movie where the survivors try to help the next planet in the the world destroyer’s sights.

I should note that several anatomy charts have Ghidorah able to spread gas that causes what either translates to madness or disorientation.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

You can't have Mechagodzilla without Godzilla. Yeah, it worked for Ready Player One, but that movie is all about pop culture, so it's fine.

I'm hoping Rodan and Mothra get their own movie in the MonsterVerse, but it won't be the first time that they get a solo movie.

So, I choose King Ghidorah. It would be really cool if Toho produced a movie in the Showa continuity that is all about King Ghidorah and the destruction of the Venusian civilization.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

I picked Rodan. Outside of the Monsterverse his handling has been quite terrible lately, and a film that builds up him back up as one "one of the greats" could be immensely satisfying for a fanboy like me. Mothra's had a whole trilogy already, and King Ghidorah/Mechagodzilla without Godzilla himself feels pointless to me. I think Joker comparisons are poorly thought out - Does anyone actually *want* a kaiju film that has as little to do with the source material as Joker 2019 did?

BUT if I could get a solo movie for any Toho kaiju, I'd say my pick would be Anguirus. One of the best kaiju Toho has ever made, that's been barely used since the 70's ended. Although I would want a solo movie to tie into a Godzilla continuity.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While I would love a solo Anguirus film, I don't think it will happen. Of all Godzilla's allies, Rodan and Mothra have more name value and recognition. I would truly want Rodan to have that film.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Rodan, definitely, for reasons others have elaborated on.

But honestly? I want Varan to get something. He’s been in the franchise from the beginning, and yet he’s barely gone anywhere. Varan has so much potential, and he’s a monster who can afford some experimentation.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Varan? Who the hell is Varan? I only know Baradagi!
For Emperor and Empire!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

King Ghidorah. Shinji Nishikawa's old treatment for Heisei KG was kind of an eye opener for me, I think the least exciting aspect was when Godzilla started waking up at the end!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If Godzilla was removed from that script, it could be a decent solo film for KG. Replace Godzilla with some super weapon and it might work.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.