"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by edgaguirus »

My perception was that the eye beams, missiles, and chest laser were stronger weapons. It didn't need to use the laser since the previously mentioned weapons were doing a number on Godzilla and KC.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:41 pm My perception was that the eye beams, missiles, and chest laser were stronger weapons. It didn't need to use the laser since the previously mentioned weapons were doing a number on Godzilla and KC.
This was pretty much my take as well. Why waste energy on a less effective weapon?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:41 pm My perception was that the eye beams, missiles, and chest laser were stronger weapons. It didn't need to use the laser since the previously mentioned weapons were doing a number on Godzilla and KC.
This was pretty much my take as well. Why waste energy on a less effective weapon?
Wasn't aware it had energy waste concerns lol

Just seemed like when it was spamming every single weapon at KC and Godzilla, why not go all out since it was throwing everything else at them already?
Last edited by godjacob on Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:17 pm
eabaker wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 pm
Wasn't aware it had energy waste concerns lol

Just seemed like when it was spamming every single weapon at KC and Godzilla, why not go all out since it was throwing everything else at them already?
I mean, every machine (and every animal) has some kind of limitations on energy use.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Why, in Tokyo SOS, did they send Akane for training in America despite knowing Godzilla was out there and could come back anytime. Seems like a questionable decision to trust Kiryu in the hands of a new pilot.

Also in the same movie, why did Mothra's Fairies only wait until then to make their objections about Kiryu known? Why didn't they try to intervene when they first dug up the old Godzilla's skeleton?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:55 pm Why, in Tokyo SOS, did they send Akane for training in America despite knowing Godzilla was out there and could come back anytime. Seems like a questionable decision to trust Kiryu in the hands of a new pilot.
...to write the character out of the movie. Or do you want an in-universe explanation?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:32 pm
godjacob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:55 pm Why, in Tokyo SOS, did they send Akane for training in America despite knowing Godzilla was out there and could come back anytime. Seems like a questionable decision to trust Kiryu in the hands of a new pilot.
...to write the character out of the movie. Or do you want an in-universe explanation?
Isn't in-universe explanations what this thread is all about?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I hope Fumiko Sakurai wound up OK. Poor girl first believes her boyfriend is dead, gets attacked by Godzilla on the train to Aomori, and is later abducted by King Kong. All in the span of what? Two days? The last we see of her, she's completely passed out.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I never actually realized that we didn't see Fumiko wake up. Jeez. Kinda says a lot about her role in the movie, doesn't it? Once the damsel is out of distress, she's just pushed off the screen and forgotten.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I believe Fumiko is a case of RKO demanding that there be a scene of Kong kidnapping a woman in the movie in their agreement with Toho, which yeah does not help the character out much who just becomes a tragic damsel and once that role is done who cares I guess.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:30 am I hope Fumiko Sakurai wound up OK. Poor girl first believes her boyfriend is dead, gets attacked by Godzilla on the train to Aomori, and is later abducted by King Kong. All in the span of what? Two days? The last we see of her, she's completely passed out.
We can be sure of one thing: She'll never take a train again.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

What was that "terrible language" Godzilla used on Mothra in GTTHM?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:28 pm What was that "terrible language" Godzilla used on Mothra in GTTHM?
Skreeonk. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:28 am Whatever ended up happening to the Oratio from the Godzilla Anime Trilogy?
It's possible that the Exif on the Oratio summoned Ghidorah to destroy the ship.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:28 pm What was that "terrible language" Godzilla used on Mothra in GTTHM?
When I was a kid, I wasn't sure.

But when I saw the movie again as a teen, I was at the peak of my Monday Night Wars/Attitude Era WWF fandom, and D-Generation X was a big part of the show.

With that in mind, it kind of looked to me like Godzilla was gesturing to his crotch a little bit when the Shobijin said the line, so I imagined he was saying "S*** It" to Mothra.

I've also joked that Godzilla's electromagnetic abilities from Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) was kind of like Godzilla using the Force a full three years before anybody even knew what The Force was.

I like to think of Godzilla as a trendsetter, lol.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In DAM, they have defenses for land and water, but what about kaiju that can burrow? It might be possible for kaiju like Baragon to tunnel under the island and avoid the defenses, unless there are underground devices to prevent that.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 pm In DAM, they have defenses for land and water, but what about kaiju that can burrow? It might be possible for kaiju like Baragon to tunnel under the island and avoid the defenses, unless there are underground devices to prevent that.
More importantly, how did they capture all these monsters in the first place? And why couldn't they replicate it when the monsters escaped? Given they try to escape before the mind control it wasn't as if they got them there willingly.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:28 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 pm In DAM, they have defenses for land and water, but what about kaiju that can burrow? It might be possible for kaiju like Baragon to tunnel under the island and avoid the defenses, unless there are underground devices to prevent that.
More importantly, how did they capture all these monsters in the first place? And why couldn't they replicate it when the monsters escaped? Given they try to escape before the mind control it wasn't as if they got them there willingly.
Very good question. In Godzilla's case, I suppose the easiest way would have been to take Minya, and then Godzilla would follow in order to rescue his adopted offspring.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well... disregarding the movies made after DAM, most of the monsters were last seen in some incapacitated state. Anguirus was dead, Kumonga dead, Baragon dead, Gorosaurus dead, Godzilla, Minya, and Manda frozen, Rodan was potentially unconscious underwater. That just leaves Mothra, who may have moved to Monsterland willingly, or could have been lured there with the Shobijin if it came to that.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Why in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah when the 3 Dorats got exposed to the atomic radiation it caused them to combine together instead of each mutating into a giant one-headed dragon?