"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:48 am
Voyager wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:02 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:53 pm

Nah was just pulling your leg :lol:
Yeah I know I was making a funny :lol:
I mean, it was an officially licensed adaptation, so it is canonical.
Where's the Giant Charles Barkley profile on the main site :lol: We need it!!!!!!
For Emperor and Empire!

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Rewatching MvG, I genuinely think the JSDF could have defeated, or at least temporarily incapacitated Godzilla with the electric pylon strategy. Those combined with the metal nets had him writhing on the ground in agony, and the plan only backfired when the commander's lieutenant got overzealous and increased the voltage beyond capacity. If they had just kept at it a little longer they may have been able to defeat Godzilla.

Also Godzilla's atomic ray was able to instantly make the metal towers turn red-hot and melt. When I was a kid, I never understood why the towers went from silver in one scene to red in another. Only now as an adult do I realize it was meant to show the towers glowing with heat and melting.
Last edited by Breakdown on Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:25 pm
Terasawa wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:14 pm "Anguirus" is just a bad Romanization, period.
And it's resulted in some truly hideous pronunciation.
This is a bit of a necro, so apologies for that, but how is it supposed to be pronounced? I’ve always said it as “An-gear-us”, as it was pronounced in the Pipeworks games I grew up with.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spuro wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 pm This is a bit of a necro, so apologies for that, but how is it supposed to be pronounced? I’ve always said it as “An-gear-us”, as it was pronounced in the Pipeworks games I grew up with.
I'm no expert, but assuming that 'Angilas' is a straightforward romanization, the Pipeworks pronunciation is almost correct. Ahn-gi-rahs. It's just a matter of putting an 'ah' sound to the A's, and separating the 'gi' from the 'ras' just a bit. Not 'gear-us' but 'gi-ras'.

For maximum accuracy, though, the best thing to do would probably be to just watch one of his movies or a relevant clip in Japanese, and listen to the way the actors pronounce his name.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

In this video, the foreign pronunciation closest to the Japanese is the Marketing Film German dub of Godzilla Raids Again. None of the English approximations are particularly close, with the worst being "ANGLE-us," "ann-GWEIR-us," and "eng-WEEN-is."

I also don't think the Pipeworks announcer's take is that great. I only played a clip from STE, but I hear "ann-GEAR-us," which is pretty far-removed from the Japanese. ("ann" as in Queen Ann; the Japanese would be closer to the English word "on".)

Friendly reminder too that you can drop katakana monster names into Google Translate and use the playback function to hear how they're pronounced. This is helpful if your ears have a hard time isolating specific words in the Japanese dialogue in these films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Whatever happened after the events of Godzilla: Final Wars?

Were the main cast among the last humans left alive of Earth? Was it only Tokyo, Osaka, Sydney, Paris, Shanghai, and New York that were destroyed with the rest of the world left relatively untouched? If it was somewhere in-between the two extremes, then how long did it take for humanity to recover? What does that world look like in twenty or fifty years?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Spuro wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 am Whatever happened after the events of Godzilla: Final Wars?

Were the main cast among the last humans left alive of Earth? Was it only Tokyo, Osaka, Sydney, Paris, Shanghai, and New York that were destroyed with the rest of the world left relatively untouched? If it was somewhere in-between the two extremes, then how long did it take for humanity to recover? What does that world look like in twenty or fifty years?
I’ve always assumed that pretty much every major city got demolished, but anyone in more remote areas was fine, given how the grandpa and grandson with Minilla were able to survive well enough without any issue.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I figure that major population centers were destroyed, but suburbs and rural areas would be better off. As for how long it would take to recover, who knows?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Logan268
Gotengo Officer

Post by Logan268 »

What Happened To Infant Island after Ebirah but before Destroy All Monsters? The Island was returning to normal in the former so there's no way it could have been destroyed before 1999

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Logan268 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 pm What Happened To Infant Island after Ebirah but before Destroy All Monsters? The Island was returning to normal in the former so there's no way it could have been destroyed before 1999
There are any number of ways it could have been destroyed before 1999. Maybe Godzilla threw a fit and took it out. Maybe it got hammered by a typhoon or earthquake. Maybe some trigger-happy world power got nervous about Mothra and nuked it again. Etc, etc.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Whatever ended up happening to the Oratio from the Godzilla Anime Trilogy?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wonder about what happened when Princess Salno returned home. She recognized the man trying to kill her, so she might know who he takes orders from. If so, the princess could have done an investigation and purge of those trying to kill her.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

What kept Mothra from doing literally anything in Ebirah Horror of the Deep when the Red Baboon took her own people as slaves. Only getting involved after the Red Bamboo had been defeated.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Also not a Godzilla film but screw it been bugging me for too long. In King Kong Lives they jump through hoops and ladders to preserve and try to keep King Kong alive, even using a big artificial heart and a blood transfusion from a recently discovered female Kong. My question is, why? Why are they trying to save the same beast they tried to shoot to death in the last movie?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:12 pm Also not a Godzilla film but screw it been bugging me for too long. In King Kong Lives they jump through hoops and ladders to preserve and try to keep King Kong alive, even using a big artificial heart and a blood transfusion from a recently discovered female Kong. My question is, why? Why are they trying to save the same beast they tried to shoot to death in the last movie?
I believe it's due to environmentalists attempting to enact species preservation. Pretty honorable actually, it shows not every group of humans are the same.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:05 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:12 pm Also not a Godzilla film but screw it been bugging me for too long. In King Kong Lives they jump through hoops and ladders to preserve and try to keep King Kong alive, even using a big artificial heart and a blood transfusion from a recently discovered female Kong. My question is, why? Why are they trying to save the same beast they tried to shoot to death in the last movie?
I believe it's due to environmentalists attempting to enact species preservation. Pretty honorable actually, it shows not every group of humans are the same.
Besides, they were shooting at him in the previous film because his presence in New York was creating an immediate peril. It wasn't like they just hated Kong and wanted him dead!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:57 pm What kept Mothra from doing literally anything in Ebirah Horror of the Deep when the Red Baboon took her own people as slaves. Only getting involved after the Red Bamboo had been defeated.
She needed a motivational song and dance number.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:57 pm What kept Mothra from doing literally anything in Ebirah Horror of the Deep when the Red Baboon took her own people as slaves. Only getting involved after the Red Bamboo had been defeated.
Someone needed to get her an alarm clock.

Does anyone know if Mothra was intended for this film? It could be a case where Infant Island was substituted for Faro Island because Mothra had good chemistry with Godzilla. All Mothra had to do was give the slaves and our heroes a lift, while Godzilla got all the action.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:14 pm
Someone needed to get her an alarm clock.

Does anyone know if Mothra was intended for this film? It could be a case where Infant Island was substituted for Faro Island because Mothra had good chemistry with Godzilla. All Mothra had to do was give the slaves and our heroes a lift, while Godzilla got all the action.
Far as I know, Mothra was always planned for the film even when they had Kong in mind. Think I recall seeing it in concept sketches.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Why does Showa Mechagodzilla never use its breath weapon, despite having it as a feature as Fake Godzilla? I refuse to buy removing a disguise would take that feature out of its arsenal.