"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by Legendary Minya »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:45 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 pm INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONSTER
-Why wasn't Mothra a target of the Planet X people? The reason they desired Rodan & Godzilla was cause they saw their power was enough to repel Ghidorah but Mothra was also part of that battle. Not as if Showa Mothra is immune to mind control as Destroy All Monsters showed.
Mothra was a caterpillar when it fought KG, and it's possible that Mothra hadn't turned into its imago stage yet. The aliens felt that Mothra was not a threat to KG, and that Godzilla and Rodan were more powerful as weapons. That's my theory.
That and they probably didn't wanna go through the effort of trying to con the Infant Islanders/fairies too.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legendary Minya wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:38 am
godjacob wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:53 pm INVASION OF THE ASTRO MONSTER
-Why wasn't Mothra a target of the Planet X people? The reason they desired Rodan & Godzilla was cause they saw their power was enough to repel Ghidorah but Mothra was also part of that battle. Not as if Showa Mothra is immune to mind control as Destroy All Monsters showed.
Mothra was a caterpillar when it fought KG, and it's possible that Mothra hadn't turned into its imago stage yet. The aliens felt that Mothra was not a threat to KG, and that Godzilla and Rodan were more powerful as weapons. That's my theory.
That and they probably didn't wanna go through the effort of trying to con the Infant Islanders/fairies too.
That only goes back to my original question of why they needed to "con" anyone. They already had the knowledge of where they were, the means to get the monsters and plans to use them to attack anyway. So again what was the point of pretending to being nice?

Locutus
Yojimbo

Post by Locutus »

Not something I wonder but I wish the twin Mothra larvae survived and both became Mothra would have been great.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Locutus wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:39 pm Not something I wonder but I wish the twin Mothra larvae survived and both became Mothra would have been great.
This would have been cool. Maybe we can get with with Millennium Mothra in KWC.

But if I had to guess, they probably had one working Mothra Imago prop to use so a second one would have been beyond their limits.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Might be a bit of a weird thing to wonder about, but I was honestly always curious regarding as to why MG's disguise in the 1974 film doesn't have the correct roar and atomic breath. Like I know that the actual reason is so that we would be able to tell from the start that something is wrong with "Godzilla", but from an in universe standpoint making an entire suit that mimics the actual Goji to a T but screwing up with his two most defining features seems like a bit of an oversight on the behalf of the Aliens. But hey, seems like it did the trick either way lol.

Also, was it ever actually stated why bird calls attract Godzilla in TROG? I assume it might be a reference to the growing Birds=Dinosaurs realization during the 80's but it still always interested me if there is a specific explanation.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:54 am Also, was it ever actually stated why bird calls attract Godzilla in TROG? I assume it might be a reference to the growing Birds=Dinosaurs realization during the 80's but it still always interested me if there is a specific explanation.
Even more so, why didn't they ever try and use Hayashida's Bird Caller Deluxe 3000 again?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:48 am
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:54 am Also, was it ever actually stated why bird calls attract Godzilla in TROG? I assume it might be a reference to the growing Birds=Dinosaurs realization during the 80's but it still always interested me if there is a specific explanation.
Even more so, why didn't they ever try and use Hayashida's Bird Caller Deluxe 3000 again?
Yeah exactly! It's such a random plot point that just kinda appears and never gets dwelt on further or utilized.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 am
Yeah exactly! It's such a random plot point that just kinda appears and never gets dwelt on further or utilized.
That's similar to the cadmium missiles. They were used once and worked, then they were never referred to or even mentioned again, much less used again. This seems to be a common trope with Toho superweapons, especially in the Heisei series.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Hayashida: I've theorized that the ancient dinosaurs had a homing instinct, and now we finally have proof.

Maki: So, Godzilla has that same instinct?

Hayashida: This area [of Godzilla's brain] is magnetic. Put simply, it's like a radar that responds to the Earth's axis. It's the same as with migratory birds.

Then, while studying Okamura's photos of the attack, Hayashida realizes that the migratory birds at Ihama triggered Godzilla's homing instinct, luring him away to sea.
mikelcho wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am That's similar to the cadmium missiles. They were used once and worked, then they were never referred to or even mentioned again, much less used again. This seems to be a common trope with Toho superweapons, especially in the Heisei series.
Super X-3 used cadmium shells against Godzilla in Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am
Dv-218 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:41 am Yeah exactly! It's such a random plot point that just kinda appears and never gets dwelt on further or utilized.
That's similar to the cadmium missiles. They were used once and worked, then they were never referred to or even mentioned again, much less used again. This seems to be a common trope with Toho superweapons, especially in the Heisei series.
And it's funny they didn't mention any of them again because Heisei G was all about just how indestructible he was, they could have paid lip service to how he doesn't listen to bird calls anymore, his immune system can now deal with cadmium, etc etc.
Could have actually helped sell Godzilla as a constantly evolving threat to humanity.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am
Hayashida: I've theorized that the ancient dinosaurs had a homing instinct, and now we finally have proof.

Hayashida: This area [of Godzilla's brain] is magnetic. Put simply, it's like a radar that responds to the Earth's axis. It's the same as with migratory birds.

Then, while studying Okamura's photos of the attack, Hayashida realizes that the migratory birds at Ihama triggered Godzilla's homing instinct, luring him away to sea.
mikelcho wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:49 am That's similar to the cadmium missiles. They were used once and worked, then they were never referred to or even mentioned again, much less used again. This seems to be a common trope with Toho superweapons, especially in the Heisei series.
Ah I see. Been a while since I have seen this film so I must have misremembered their exchange. Makes sense, thanks!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Super X and Super X-3 had them, and by pure coincidence they both were weapons with among the highest success rate against Heisei Godzilla.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:34 am

Thanks, I didn't remember that one.

Added in 6 minutes 17 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:58 am

Super X and Super X-3 had them, and by pure coincidence they both were weapons with among the highest success rate against Heisei Godzilla.
I just remembered another Heisei superweapon that was even more successful than those two combined: Super Mechagodzilla, which actually killed the Heisei second Godzilla, the first man-made weapon to accomplish this feat since the Oxygen Destroyer killed the first Godzilla (it was only a burst of radiation from the dying Fire Rodan's body that brought him back from the dead).
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The mech theme was then followed in G vs SG with Moguera. Godzilla never did have a real fight with the mech, so we can only guess if Moguera could have done as well as its predecessor.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

godjacob wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:21 am
Legendary Minya wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:38 am

That only goes back to my original question of why they needed to "con" anyone. They already had the knowledge of where they were, the means to get the monsters and plans to use them to attack anyway. So again what was the point of pretending to being nice?
I wonder exactly when they landed their UFOs on earth, like the one underwater that snagged Godzilla. Maybe they wanted to make contact first so the JSDF wouldn't shoot down their saucers. Maybe they are just evil and got off on pulling a fast one on an entire country/planet. The shaky plot and approximately 45 seconds of monster battle action are reasons that Monster Zero is super overrated IMO.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The fact they had spies and a headquarters on Earth seems to indicate they may have been there for a month or so at least. The UFOs could have been successfully hidden for a long period, so they could have been there for that same time frame.

I imagine that they also had bases in other countries, but since the films focus on Japan, we'll never know. Anyway, they would have been destroyed with the fleet when it self destructed.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've been wondering why the Shobijin in SOS never visited the prime minister and other higher ups themselves, I mean they went through the trouble of informing the Chujos about the oncoming danger. You'd think if they met the higher ups themselves, the point would've gotten across far better. I wouldn't count on the events of the film changing that drastically, but the combined effort of the Shobijin & Chujos would've been more impactful.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:58 pm I've been wondering why the Shobijin in SOS never visited the prime minister and other higher ups themselves, I mean they went through the trouble of informing the Chujos about the oncoming danger. You'd think if they met the higher ups themselves, the point would've gotten across far better. I wouldn't count on the events of the film changing that drastically, but the combined effort of the Shobijin & Chujos would've been more impactful.
My guess is they only had a connection with Chujo and felt comfortable talking to him about the issue given their history, where as they had no connection to the Prime Minister and higher ups which might make it hard to sway their opinion.

Real question is why did they wait till SOS to protest about Kiryu.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

This has always bothered me: in IotAM, the Xilians want to haul Godzilla and Rodan to Planet X so that Ghidrah can kill them and then be the Xilien’s invasion tool. But why did the Xiliens even bother to bring Godzilla and Rodan to the planet in the first place? Once they got the monsters in stasis, why didn’t they just release them in the middle of deep space and get rid of them that way?

I actually consider this a pretty huge plot hole.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LockBite wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm This has always bothered me: in IotAM, the Xilians want to haul Godzilla and Rodan to Planet X so that Ghidrah can kill them and then be the Xilien’s invasion tool. But why did the Xiliens even bother to bring Godzilla and Rodan to the planet in the first place? Once they got the monsters in stasis, why didn’t they just release them in the middle of deep space and get rid of them that way?

I actually consider this a pretty huge plot hole.
I thought the plan was to taken Godzilla/Rodan and mind control them so they go with Ghidorah to conquer Earth?