"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am
Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:07 pmin universe, most of the time it doesn’t make sense why it’s always Japan, does it?
Sure it does: For the most part, we're only seeing the in-universe stories set in and around Japan. And for all we know, other nations are similarly ravaged by other monsters. This is borne out by films as disparate as Monster Zero (we're told Ghidorah appeared in the U.S.), King Kong Escapes (where all monster action in the first two acts occurs outside Japan), Godzilla vs Mothra (Infant Island is near Indonesia), Gamera 3 (Gyaos attack aircraft somewhere over central Eurasia), and others.

Although that may not be the most satisfying answer, it doesn't really have to be any more complicated than that.
Yeah, I always liked to assume some other monsters were attacking other parts of the world between films. A lot of the Ultraman shows, especially the Showa ones, make it clear Japan is just one of many nations ravaged by monster attacks and alien invasions given the presence of various attack team branches. I guess Japan still gets attacked the most, since that's always where the Ultras choose to stay.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

In the US cut of KKvG, didn't they say they found fossils of Godzilla's kind in Japan? If so then you could rationalize that Japan is Godzilla's kind's natural habitat.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

In the Japanese version of KKVG, Professor Shigezawa mentions how Godzilla's homing instinct will bring him to Japan, which he seems to regard as his "habitat". So make of that what you will.

Speaking of KKVG, there's also the military base Godzilla attacks right after emerging from the iceberg. It's never stated where exactly that is (I've seen some people claim China, while others call is a NATO base - has there ever been any confirmation?), but it's definitely not Japan.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:12 pm
Speaking of KKVG, there's also the military base Godzilla attacks right after emerging from the iceberg. It's never stated where exactly that is (I've seen some people claim China, while others call is a NATO base - has there ever been any confirmation?), but it's definitely not Japan.
Because of the proximity to the iceberg, I’ve always taken it as the Soviet Union.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The tanks blasting away at Godzilla have big red stars on them so I've always assumed it was a Soviet base. It can't have been China because the geography wouldn't make sense.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Wow, never noticed those stars until now! Thanks 4K remaster!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Totally unrelated to this thread, but on the subject of the recent KKvG revelations: I picked up on my latest re-watch that Godzilla is never seen in Hokkaido in the film -- his attack on the train takes place very near Sendai. The American version, however, places him in "Hoe-kai-aw-doe."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm "Hoe-kai-aw-doe."
Oh my God that drives me nuts...

Atleast James Yagi pronounces it correctly in the newly shot footage!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:55 pm
Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:50 pm "Hoe-kai-aw-doe."
Oh my God that drives me nuts...

Atleast James Yagi pronounces it correctly in the newly shot footage!
That's why Kenji Sahara--erm, Keji Sahaka's--character goes to rescue his girlfriend: James Yagi never told him not to go to "HoKAIado."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Given that the Futurians went back in time to seed his creation, wouldn't that mean Heisei Ghidorah was out there somewhere during Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante? Was he just asleep on Lagos Island until the Futurians awakened him in 1991?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:06 pm Given that the Futurians went back in time to seed his creation, wouldn't that mean Heisei Ghidorah was out there somewhere during Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante? Was he just asleep on Lagos Island until the Futurians awakened him in 1991?
It's more complicated than that because of the way the movie handles time travel (which has been discussed at too-great a length in various threads in the Heisei forum). But basically, no. We're told that Godzilla vanished immediately as the time travelers return from 1944, and that King Ghidorah appeared out of the Pacific at the same time -- in other words, the time travel doesn't erase or change things and events in the past, only in the present.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:38 pm
Breakdown wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:06 pm Given that the Futurians went back in time to seed his creation, wouldn't that mean Heisei Ghidorah was out there somewhere during Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Biollante? Was he just asleep on Lagos Island until the Futurians awakened him in 1991?
It's more complicated than that because of the way the movie handles time travel (which has been discussed at too-great a length in various threads in the Heisei forum). But basically, no. We're told that Godzilla vanished immediately as the time travelers return from 1944, and that King Ghidorah appeared out of the Pacific at the same time -- in other words, the time travel doesn't erase or change things and events in the past, only in the present.
Although it does change the recorded documentation of the past... but not human memories of the past...

The ripple effect is very unpredictable.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It might be excused if just the characters who traveled in time remembered. In a timey whimey sort of way their involvement allowed them to recall Godzilla, but Shindo apparently did as well. When asked to send the sub, he never does ask " Who's Godzilla?" The time travel element of this film adds some good sci fi, but once serving its purpose, is of no real concern.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm It might be excused if just the characters who traveled in time remembered. In a timey whimey sort of way their involvement allowed them to recall Godzilla, but Shindo apparently did as well. When asked to send the sub, he never does ask " Who's Godzilla?" The time travel element of this film adds some good sci fi, but once serving its purpose, is of no real concern.
They remember Godzilla because he was erased from the present, not the past (i.e. he still existed up 'til 1992).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:42 pm
Although it does change the recorded documentation of the past... but not human memories of the past...

Did it actually change recorded documentation of the past? It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I assumed that the newspaper article about the submarine crash still existed in the original timeline- the only thing that changed was Godzilla's presence at the crash.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

TheLastGezora wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:42 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:42 pm

Did it actually change recorded documentation of the past? It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I assumed that the newspaper article about the submarine crash still existed in the original timeline- the only thing that changed was Godzilla's presence at the crash.
Hmmm... I suppose you could be right...

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

I would honestly love to know what the writers actually intended.

The idea put forth years ago in that SciFi Japan article that they never changed anything, everything they did was what was already done solves all the problems. It fits so perfectly that it's hard to think that it wasn't their intent. But the biggest counterpoint is that the film does not in anyway make that clear and the simple fact the the writers problems didn't put all that much thought into it.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:06 am I would honestly love to know what the writers actually intended.

The idea put forth years ago in that SciFi Japan article that they never changed anything, everything they did was what was already done solves all the problems. It fits so perfectly that it's hard to think that it wasn't their intent. But the biggest counterpoint is that the film does not in anyway make that clear and the simple fact the the writers problems didn't put all that much thought into it.
The theater program clearly lays out the timeline in a way that shows the SciFi Japan is ultimately incorrect.

There's some info on it here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Not a Godzilla film but this has bugged me for so long I need to say something.

In the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla series, Godzilla fights a monster called the Firebird. The FIREbird lives in a volcano, the FireBIRD is a aerial-based creature that can of course fly, the FIREbird can breath fire etc. All make sense, all are logical traits it should have.

SO WHY THE SHIT CAN IT SWIM & BREATH UNDERWATER AS WELL AS GODZILLA!?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:08 am Not a Godzilla film but this has bugged me for so long I need to say something.

In the Hanna-Barbera Godzilla series, Godzilla fights a monster called the Firebird. The FIREbird lives in a volcano, the FireBIRD is a aerial-based creature that can of course fly, the FIREbird can breath fire etc. All make sense, all are logical traits it should have.

SO WHY THE poop CAN IT SWIM & BREATH UNDERWATER AS WELL AS GODZILLA!?
If it was called the Hydrophobic Firebird, you'd have a point. As it is, nothing in the name says it can't operate underwater. Water does extinguish fire, true, but it does not necessarily extinguish birds; there are any number of birds that can swim underwater just fine. Breathing underwater is a bit of a stretch, but no more so than for Godzilla.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio