Classification of Monsters

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Classification of Monsters

Post by Voyager »

Here we can come up with family trees, scientific names and more about everyone's favourite Kaiju. Be creative with it!

Here's some reptiles1

Turtles/Tortoises
Kamoebas
Squamata
Varan (Monitor Lizard)
Manda (Limbed Snake)
Zilla (Iguana)
Maguma (Some odd Walrus Lizard)
Dinosaurus
Ornithischians
Baragon (Ceratopsian)
Anguirus (Ankylosaur)
Saurischians
Theropods
Titanosaurus (Spinosauroid)
Godzilla, Offspring and Godzillasaurus (Long Armed Abelisauroids)
Avetheropods
Gorosaurus (Allosauroid)
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Classification of Monsters

Post by mikelcho »

That's good, but I think Maguma, since he's a walrus, would be a mammal, not a reptile.

Manda would also be a sea snake, too. The Giant Sea Snake from King Kong Escapes should be in the Squamata list, also.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Obviously Kong's an primate, Kumonga's a spider, and Kamacuras is a mantis.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote:That's good, but I think Maguma, since he's a walrus, would be a mammal, not a reptile.

Manda would also be a sea snake, too. The Giant Sea Snake from King Kong Escapes should be in the Squamata list, also.
Magma is actually reptile not a walrus, as confirmed in Godzilla Giant Monsters Super Encyclopedia Page 51.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Takashi Shimura's character in Gorath apparently calls it a reptile, thanks to a line held over from an earlier draft (when Maguma was intended as a dinosaur).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks! I didn't know this, having not seen the film - yet.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Worth mentioning about Gorath is that the only available English subtitles are completely unreliable. The subtitles don't say anything about Maguma being reptilian but that's evidently what Shimura says.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My Godzilla Family Tree.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Invertebrates:
insects:
Meganula
Megaguirus
Kamacura

arachnids:
Kumonga

crustacean:
Ebirah
Ganime

Cephalopod:
Oodako
Gezora
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

VoyagerGoji wrote:My Godzilla Family Tree.
I thought Earth was just another Legendary Godzilla image and was about to question this. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

SUPERSPECIES PROFILE: KING KONG

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Cordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Suborder: Haplorhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Genus: Gorilla
Species: Megaprimatus
Subspecies: Kong

Nature: Bio-terrestrial
Height: 7.62 meters
Weight: Estimated 11 metric tons
Behavior: We Need Kong
Range: The World Needs Him

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I very much dislike this aside from reality based DeviantArt redesign AUs because I feel like it takes away from the mystique of the kaiju.

But I'm gonna do it anyway lmao

Godzilla: Usually a form of megalosaur, with increased spine and aquatic adaption as missing links to the spinosaurids. Exceptions are Shin (a icthyosaur that evolved into a frilled shark esque gilled form), Legendary (a basal archosaur), and Heisei (omnivorous ornithopods that for all intents and purposes are theropod mimics due to their adaptions)

Anguirus: Primitive crocodile. Perhaps a missing massive link between Armadillosuchus and Kaprosuchus?

Rodan: I know, PteRAnoDON but speaking honestly, only Heisei has Pteranodontidate features. I'd argue most incarnations are some form of Dsungaripterade or Chaoyangopteridae, with their heavy and robust builds, sloping crests and terrestrial predator diets. (Singular Point basically confirmed this for me. Those juveniles are dead on). Legendary is too vague to be any specific genus.

Varan: Sphenacodontidae. That skull and vaguely mammal-lizard build really says it all lol.

Mothra: God, so I can't really say but I always thought she has many traits of a bee then people notice. I'll just be basic and label her as some early pollinator from the Cretaceous (given its canon in one continuity that's when Mothra originally appeared) that's split between the moth and bee families.

King Kong: K, I don't give a shit about any "he's a gorilla" argument. 1962 is a gibbon on Soma steroids. Those arms say it all. 1967 I'm more inclined to go gorilla and Monsterverse is all but confirmed to be a giant hominid.

Baragon: I was gonna say synapsid again based on the movement but honestly? I swear he's supposed to be a cerstopsian. The ears almost look like a frill, the horn, mainly quadrapedal, and as we all know, Last Dinosaur proved Ceratopsians in the tokuverse are avid burrowers/s. So, yeah, some kind of mole/badger analouge protoceratopsid.

Manda: Nothosaur.

Gorosaurus: Megaraptorid thats basically an upscaled Australovenator. It even has the kicking, seriously why does no one mention this.

Kumonga: Spitting Spider/Tarantula missing link.

Ebirah: Rock Lobster! Honestly strikes me as very crab like in many ways. Imma say crab that evolved a shrimp like body in...the Paleozoic, idk.

Gabara: seriously, it took Toho writing it down for yall to realize this fucker was a mutant frog? Come on, fam.

Megalon: Mole Cricket/Weta with some scarab/Hercules Beetle convergent evolution.

Titanosaurus: half of me says Spinosaur, half of me says Tanystropheidae, but I'm gonna really fuck around and say it's a aquatic prosauropod (Carnivorous like Buriolestes or Eoraptor) so it technically IS a titanosaur.

Megaguirus: ANT.

Yes you heard me.

Meganulon is a worker, Meganula are kings, she's a queen with either wasp traits shared from their common ancestry or mutations from Godzilla DNA.

M.U.T.O: yes. amphibian???? Just hexapedal and with a VERY out of place armor

And the rest are all either aliens, robots or too impossible to tell so I'll end it there.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Very interesting indeed, but since the Meganulas are kings according to this classification, wouldn't that make them termites? After all, male termites are called kings, not male ants. Male bees are called drones but I think male ants have no special name, they're just called males. Of course, I could be wrong.

And is it possible that Kumonga would have a little bit of trapdoor spider in him because of the slightly similar appearance of his lair in Son of Godzilla? After all, it is, I think, a slight depression in the ground, if not an actual hole.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Simple is sometimes the best (via Wikizilla) -

Godzilla - Irradiated prehistoric amphibious reptile
King Kong - Giant ape
Mothra - Giant divine moth
Rodan - Irradiated Pteranodon
King Ghidorah - Extraterrestrial three-headed dragon
Mechagodzilla - Mechanical Godzilla duplicate

And so on.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:20 pm Very interesting indeed, but since the Meganulas are kings according to this classification, wouldn't that make them termites? After all, male termites are called kings, not male ants. Male bees are called drones but I think male ants have no special name, they're just called males. Of course, I could be wrong.

And is it possible that Kumonga would have a little bit of trapdoor spider in him because of the slightly similar appearance of his lair in Son of Godzilla? After all, it is, I think, a slight depression in the ground, if not an actual hole.
My bad, winged drone is what I meant, for some reason, I was informed that king is what they are referred to as.

Nah, doesn't work. Not only does Kumonga not use the hole like a trapdoor spider, but Mygalomorphae (the order Trapdoor Spiders belong to) are famously known for always having downward facing fangs, something NO incarnation of Kumonga has ever exhibited

RIP Evan.