WORST iteration of Mothra

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who do you hate the most?

Showa
No votes
Heisei
16%
RoM
2%
Leo
2%
GMK
16%
Millenium (SOS & GFW)
No votes
Anime
54%
MonsterVerse
10%

Total votes: 50

godjacob
Futurian

Re: WORST iteration of Mothra

Post by godjacob »

What I learned on this site is people less judge the incarnation of the actual character of a Kaiju or how it is used, but get prissy if a puppet does not meet some arbitrary standard.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm What I learned on this site is people less judge the incarnation of the actual character of a Kaiju or how it is used, but get prissy if a puppet does not meet some arbitrary standard.
That’s where most disdain for the Heisei series stems from.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:28 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:23 pm What I learned on this site is people less judge the incarnation of the actual character of a Kaiju or how it is used, but get prissy if a puppet does not meet some arbitrary standard.
Not really…? They’re just not very good films.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:29 pm
I mean, I think a majority of Heisei flicks are pretty good.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

No worse than the many of the Showa films.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:43 pm

No worse than the many of the Showa films.
How? The Showa films are all unique and full of heart while the Heisei films are soulless carbon copies of eachother.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This thread is about which Mothra incarnation you think is the best, for whatever reason. Not a thread about arguing about it high puppet or incarnation is used.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

About that, I still hold SOS to be the best.
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I wasn't sure which anime the poll was referring to, I like her design in SP but have no idea what her shadow was supposed to be in TPE.

But to go off of which Mothra incarnation actually took me out of the film and *bugged me*, then it would have to be KOTM. I remember seeing her larva form being aggressive for no reason then having to be calmed down by a device... I dunno that just didn't feel like Mothra to me. I personally always saw her as more reserved and noble than that, not to mention being sentient enough not to need a device to calm her. Onto the designs, neither the larva nor imago did anything for me. I think they tried too hard to make Mothra look "cool" but like Rodan, she did not have a real presence in the story. Of course, different incarnation so the status quo would be different - however the changes didn't work for me personally.

For instance GMK is my second favourite Mothra of all time, and those changes worked better for it's story since she was nearly purely mystical.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 am I wasn't sure which anime the poll was referring to, I like her design in SP but have no idea what her shadow was supposed to be in TPE.
Well I made this thread in 2020, so I was most certainly referring to Polygon Mothra.
For Emperor and Empire!

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Designwise, probably Heisei (too plushie-like), but I wouldn't use the term 'worst'

Scriptwise, GKOTM. Does absolute jack and skreonk, and jack left town
Last edited by Omegamorph on Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Voyager wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:13 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 am I wasn't sure which anime the poll was referring to, I like her design in SP but have no idea what her shadow was supposed to be in TPE.
Well I made this thread in 2020, so I was most certainly referring to Polygon Mothra.
Gotcha. Well 2022 made things more complicated :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GMK.

Anime can't be the worst, because we literally never even see her outside of a dream/silhouette. And there, she still had the same basic moth design and similar God role she has. GMK is just a butterwasp.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?