How do you like Ghidorah’s Origins?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What do you prefer as his origin?

Super Space Monster
92%
Mutated Futurian Pet
6%
Guardian of Japan
No votes
Other I can’t remember off the top of my head (specify).
2%

Total votes: 52

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: How do you like Ghidorah’s Origins?

Post by edgaguirus »

I feel Ghidorah works best as an alien. While many mythological monsters have more than one head, it's unnatural for life on this planet. Being an alien helps explain his biology and abilities.

GMK's portrayal of Ghidorah isn't my favorite, but him being a guardian makes sense. Oriental folklore is heavy with dragons.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Are we allowed to discuss our own spin(s) on the character’s origins?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Evil insane space dragon all the way.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:36 pm Are we allowed to discuss our own spin(s) on the character’s origins?
I don't see why not.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I definitely prefer him to be a space monster. I think explaining him any further than that is a bit of a mistake; one of the things that makes Ghidorah intimidating is how much of a mystery he really is. Him being a fusion of Dorats is not only just really silly, it makes him feel less sinister and unknowable. Not to mention the GMK origin, which was always a goofy interpretation period, regardless of how fantastic the movie itself was.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree on the Dorats. It seems strange that radiation would fuse separate animals into one rather than create 3 giant mutants.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

lavinaginn
Young Farmer

Post by lavinaginn »

Yeah Super Space Monster - definitely.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

The classic alien destroyer from space gets my vote. It honestly gives his character a lot more agency and sense of terror as opposed to merely being controlled or created by another race- he has no real "plan" or reason for his actions, just a terrifying destructive entity hopping from planet to planet and wiping out entire civilizations for fun. It also adds a sense of mystery and uncertainty to him which imo makes him even scarier of a threat.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Thu May 19, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:56 pm I agree on the Dorats. It seems strange that radiation would fuse separate animals into one rather than create 3 giant mutants.
Lmao right. It’s a fun plot but not very plausible IMO.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why would the Heisei incarnation and origin of the character stir up more controversy than the GMK version? Regardless of the 1991 film's issues, that version of Ghidorah was essentially the Showa version at heart.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 pm Regardless of the 1991 film's issues, that version of Ghidorah was essentially the Showa version at heart.
It was not at all, what are you talking about?
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 pm ^Why would the Heisei incarnation and origin of the character stir up more controversy than the GMK version?
It helps that the GMK version was a mythological monster, as opposed to three furbies fused together.

It also helps that GMK is actually a good movie.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I mean making GMK Ghidorah smaller than Godzilla and a good guy was a more controversial decision than making Heisei a nuclear baby (Though functionally similar to post-GTTHM Ghidorah in a mind controlled pawn).

Even then I think the only Ghidorah I would actually call controversial is the Anime one. Mostly on account of design and well...the nature of the anime trilogy being as divisive as it is.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:23 am
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:19 pm ^Why would the Heisei incarnation and origin of the character stir up more controversy than the GMK version?
It helps that the GMK version was a mythological monster, as opposed to three furbies fused together.

It also helps that GMK is actually a good movie.
Had GMK Ghidorah been three cute creatures fused together, would’ve that affected the quality of the film?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:05 pm Had GMK Ghidorah been three cute creatures fused together, would’ve that affected the quality of the film?
Yes, because the idea of one of the monsters being three Popples knockoffs being fused together would've clashed HEAVILY with the rest of the movie being centered on the rest of the monsters being tied to ancient times.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:54 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:05 pm Had GMK Ghidorah been three cute creatures fused together, would’ve that affected the quality of the film?
Yes, because the idea of one of the monsters being three Popples knockoffs being fused together would've clashed HEAVILY with the rest of the movie being centered on the rest of the monsters being tied to ancient times.
I'm guessing a more fantasy-based setting makes it easier to suspend disbelief for some people more than others.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Sci fi requires just as much suspension of belief.

The point is that the tone of GMK doesn't work with 3 little creatures becoming one giant dragon.

Count Dracula Clone
Ronin

Post by Count Dracula Clone »

I'm a stickler for the classics myself. A gigantic, golden, three-headed dragon from outer space.

Thats not to say I'm against new versions, but like Godzilla and the Atomic Bomb, I prefer they generally stick to his original origin.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Count Dracula Clone wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:49 pm I'm a stickler for the classics myself. A gigantic, golden, three-headed dragon from outer space.

Thats not to say I'm against new versions, but like Godzilla and the Atomic Bomb, I prefer they generally stick to his original origin.
Ooh yeah, I like this one. Count Drac, you’re a good one.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:47 pm Sci fi requires just as much suspension of belief.

The point is that the tone of GMK doesn't work with 3 little creatures becoming one giant dragon.
Exactly this. GMK Ghidorah being mutant Dorats would f*** the masterfully dark mood of GMK straight to hell.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image