Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KaijuDude810 wrote:I've seen condescending attitude towards younger Godzilla fans. One time I saw someone making fun of them and saying that the only movies they've seen are 2014 and KotM. Of course, this assumption is "aBsOlUteLy coRrEcT bEcAuSE thEy hAvEn't sEen trUe gOjI kInO!!!!" In all seriousness, it's ridiculous to be angry that the younger fans haven't seen the older films. That's like making fun of a 5-month infant because they cannot recite the alphabet. "Oh, you haven't spent over 80 dollars to watch Biollante? Not a true fan! Your first Godzilla film was 1998 or Monsterverse? Not a true fan!" This thought process plagues most fandoms, unfortunately. The examples I think of off the top of my head are Transformers and Star Wars fans over the Michael Bay films and the Prequels respectively.

On the other side of things, I've seen Godzilla fans that think they're hot Hedorah sludge and an expert on Godzilla because they watched Cinemassacre Godzillathon once. I'm not saying that it doesn't make you a "true fan" or any of that BS. But, I think you should watch the film at least before you give an opinion on it. So many Godzilla fans seem to just go off of what others think. "Revenge bad! 98 bad! Shin good! 54 good!" I'm not saying that those opinions are wrong, either. They're perfectly valid. However, people just seem to jump on the bandwagon without actually giving their own thoughts.
Pretty much agreed with everything said here.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:People acting like if you don't like the MonsterVerse films King of the Monsters you're somehow an elitist Toho purist.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Naw people were like that with G14 too.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Naw people were like that with G14 too.
Oh I'm sure they were. I like G14 and Skull Island, but somehow I hate the monster verse for not liking KOTM. :D
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's nothing I want more in this world than a great big budget Hollywood Godzilla film. Both G14 and KotM have just completely dropped the ball on delivering what I'm specifically looking for. Believe me I went in really wanting to like both films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Fans who bitch and moan about there being people with the audacity to disagree with their opinions. So basically this entire fucking thread.

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
Also lol @ people who are clueless as to why TK is hated by every other site. I think it might have something to do with the fact that you have entire threads dedicated to crying that other places aren’t exactly like here.

“Why doesn’t anyone like us? Also here is why everyone on every other forum or website is a shitter”

God I wish there was a clown emoji for this place
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Mine is the unfair opinion most fans have about the heisei series. They are often calling it overrated but I have seen a lot of negative reviews for them. The only awful heisei film is godzilla vs mothra. Everything else is fantastic. Say what you wish about the series, but unlike the showa era, the heisei era was consisient. I think what dosent help is a good percent of fans propebly have watched the dubtitles versions, the horrendous dubs which notorsely changed a lot of meanings of the lines, or sony's "upgraded" blu ray of the films, in which it still shows the put no effort whatsoever in their godzilal releases. Luckily I got the the actual subitiled version off of gmk toys on amazon. I finally have watched the japanese version for godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1993. the dubtiles for it really hurt the film effectivines. The proper subtitled version make it entertining. Its highely recemeded. Godzilla vs spacegodzilla is the most underrated entry in the entire series. I saw the japanese version and the lines finally make sense, which were often changed in the dubtitled version. Cal me a blasphmier, but I dont think the heisei gamera trilogy is as good as everybody makes them out to be. Fans say the characters are good but I found them to be uniteresting, espically shinobu nakayamas performance in the first movie, were I found her to be bland, wooden, and emitionless. I have always been a fan of megumi odaka, who I think fans are giving her a hard time, and I think does a fantastic job in her apperences. Sorry if I angered anybody, but it is how I feel, and I will wlays love the godzilla series no matter which entry.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 pm Fans who female dog and moan about there being people with the audacity to disagree with their opinions. So basically this entire skreeonking thread.

Also lol @ people who are clueless as to why TK is hated by every other site. I think it might have something to do with the fact that you have entire threads dedicated to crying that other places aren’t exactly like here.

“Why doesn’t anyone like us? Also here is why everyone on every other forum or website is a shitter”

All due respect but my experience on this site has been nothing short of fantastic. The users I've interacted with have been both patient and kind in our dealings.
Any fansite is gonna have it's share of sperging but is it really true that people "hate" TK?
Because one of my biggest pet peeves in this fandom is the constant whinging about how shitty the Godzilla fan base is. I've made plenty of lifelong friends and met some of the most kind and authentic people since being exposed to the larger Godzilla/kaiju fanbase.

Edit: not to mention all the interesting tidbits of knowledge some fans (here on TK specifically) have shared that have widened my appreciation for the art of Kaiju film even moreso than some of the books written by longtime scholars on the subject of Godzilla/tokusatsu.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:16 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 pm Fans who female dog and moan about there being people with the audacity to disagree with their opinions. So basically this entire skreeonking thread.

All due respect but my experience on this site has been nothing short of fantastic. The users I've interacted with have been both patient and kind in our dealings.
Any fansite is gonna have it's share of sperging but is it really true that people "hate" TK?
Because one of my biggest pet peeves in this fandom is the constant whinging about how shitty the Godzilla fan base is. I've made plenty of lifelong friends and met some of the most kind and authentic people since being exposed to the larger Godzilla/kaiju fanbase.

Edit: not to mention all the interesting tidbits of knowledge some fans (here on TK specifically) have shared that have widened my appreciation for the art of Kaiju film even moreso than some of the books written by longtime scholars on the subject of Godzilla/tokusatsu.
Generally I've found the only people who hate Toho Kingdom are butthurt Heisei fanboys.
Spoiler:
I speak from experience since that used to be one of the reasons I stayed away from here for a long time, haha.
Resized Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:48 pm
Generally I've found the only people who hate Toho Kingdom are butthurt Heisei fanboys.
Spoiler:
I speak from experience since that used to be one of the reasons I stayed away from here for a long time, haha.
Lmao! I'll make a point to tell them they're valid from here on out, maybe then there won't be so much anguish :lol:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^^^^

The advantage of the forums is that you can have long form conversations and dialogues about specific things and to me that’ll always be a plus that’ll override the negatives. I like Godzilla memes, but I honestly don’t think any real discussion happens on the Reddit’s and such (not hating, just a fact from my perspective). Additionally, there’s always awesome analysis on YouTube, but it gets overlooked by a lot of clickbaity monsterverse and drama crap. And interacting with people is usually one sided.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One opinion I question is why some people will have beef with the military using futuristic particle-beam weapons (i.e masers) and think they're far-fetched, yet they are featured in a franchise focusing on a giant, nigh-indestructible fire-breathing lizard we all love.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I frankly never heard of anyone complain about the Masers or other sci-fi type weapons in the franchise tbh. I'm sure that some people just don't like their aesthetic but I have yet to find massive amounts of disdain for their usage. I think in most of the films they are just taken for granted tbh.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Sometimes I'm kinda annoyed about how many like the Monsterverse and want more Japanese monsters in them - even characters like Gamera and Ultraman (don't get me started on this weird topic of people wanting crossovers with nearly everything that has a giant monster in it).

On one side it's nice to see how others are having fun with these movies and how Godzilla becomes a big franchise - but to me the American movies have never been more than a typical Hollywood remake of a foreign movie as there are a lot of them. And with the nanouncement of KG, Rodan and Mothra in KotM he whole MV died for me and became the least interesting thing Godzilla-wise I can think of. At least the movies are still enjoyable in some ways or another.
Last edited by Dyrakro on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dramorg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 am Sometimes I'm kinda annoyed about how many like the Monsterverse and want more Japanese monsters in them - even characters like Gamera and Ultraman (don't get me started on this weird topic of people wanting crossovers with nearly everything that has a giant monster in it).

On one side it's nice to see how others are having fun with these movies and how Godzilla becomes a big franchise - but to me the American movies have never been more than a typical Hollywood remake of a foreign movie as there are a lot of them. And with the nanouncement of KG, Rodan and Mothra in KotM he whole MV died for me and became the least interesting thing Godzilla-wise I can think of. At least the movies are still enjoyable in some ways or another.
Yeah I agree, though I’m guilty of doing this in the past. One thing I really like from the monsterverse is the original monsters, that were more than just glorified cameos. MUTOS and Skullcrawlers are awesome. I’m looking forward to the Warbats in Kong vs Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:31 am I frankly never heard of anyone complain about the Masers or other sci-fi type weapons in the franchise tbh. I'm sure that some people just don't like their aesthetic but I have yet to find massive amounts of disdain for their usage. I think in most of the films they are just taken for granted tbh.
Some guy here expressed his dislike of Masers on a thread by LivingCorpse dedicated to them a long time ago. Also, I posted a thread about Masers potentially be in the Reiwa era and Arbok of all people just so happened to be a skeptic.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 am Arbok of all people just so happened to be a skeptic.
All he did was say he didn’t think they’d be a good fit for the reiwa era, that’s not exactly not liking them. :?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:44 am Arbok of all people just so happened to be a skeptic.
All he did was say he didn’t think they’d be a good fit for the reiwa era, that’s not exactly not liking them. :?
Still a double standard, like how I described.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:32 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:05 am
Still a double standard, like how I described.
Not really. IIRC, all he meant was that he preferred to see the Reiwa movies set in a grounded, realistic setting. Yes, the kaiju themselves are outlandish, but the world they appear in is just like ours. Which means no beam weapons quite yet.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:49 am
Dramorg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:40 am Sometimes I'm kinda annoyed about how many like the Monsterverse and want more Japanese monsters in them - even characters like Gamera and Ultraman (don't get me started on this weird topic of people wanting crossovers with nearly everything that has a giant monster in it).

Yeah I agree, though I’m guilty of doing this in the past. One thing I really like from the monsterverse is the original monsters, that were more than just glorified cameos. MUTOS and Skullcrawlers are awesome. I’m looking forward to the Warbats in Kong vs Godzilla.
Oh yeah, the Warbats look very cool! Looking forward to see them in action!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Totally with you guys regarding the original critters in the Monsterverse. I hope to see them get some action in GvK.
I think the desire to see kaiju crossovers is natural, especially when there's so much crossover junk going on in media these days, but I'd rather see focus on making good films than cramming existing IPs together for studio profits.
Sometimes the fans just want candy rather than a good meal I guess, which is fine, but sometimes that mindset is frustrating.