Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Same :lol:

If it helps, I try to use them either correctly as I understand or just say "I like this" when I can.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

When people dismiss SoG as kiddy trash.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 pm When people dismiss SoG as kiddy trash.
Agreed. It's one of the most tightly constructed and emotionally effective movies of the latter half of the Showa era, with some really impressive effects work to boot.

Added in 8 minutes 10 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm Same :lol:

If it helps, I try to use them either correctly as I understand or just say "I like this" when I can.
It's really the part about
But some people treat it like they're in some fucking college class and are writing a fucking essay on why Godzilla's Revenge is this spiritual fucking movie....(just using it as an example got GR on the brain). Like as if they'll show their work to an employer someday or some crap.
that feels almost like it was tailored to me. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Add me to the list of people who write needless essays on godzilla films on the internet
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Personally, I quite like your essays.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

GojiSquid wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:06 pm I'm not sure if this is for or against what you guys are saying above, but there's this fringe group of people in the subreddit that hate KOTM and insist that everyone who doesn't share their exact views blindly worships the movie like the second coming of christ. Sure, KOTM's generally well like on r/GODZILLA, and a good many people love it, but I haven't regularly seen people circklejerking over how good the movie is.
I really dislike those kinds of people

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

“Godzilla dies at the end and it’s really sad, and Destoroyah is scary, so GvD is the objective best Godzilla film” - Somebody.

Just paraphrasing, I’ve seen opinions like this all over the internet.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly, really starting to bug me the amount of people that are seeing out of context Godzilla SP things and feeling the need to endlessly shit on it, when it's likely they'll wind up liking it at best, and lukewarm on it at worst.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:49 am Honestly, really starting to bug me the amount of people that are seeing out of context Godzilla SP things and feeling the need to endlessly shit on it, when it's likely they'll wind up liking it at best, and lukewarm on it at worst.

In my defence, I've done my best to avoid that part of the forums over the past month.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KK42 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:49 am Honestly, really starting to bug me the amount of people that are seeing out of context Godzilla SP things and feeling the need to endlessly poop on it, when it's likely they'll wind up liking it at best, and lukewarm on it at worst.

In my defence, I've done my best to avoid that part of the forums over the past month.
Actually I wasn't referring to you, so you're fine. ;)

There were some people staying some strange stuff about the series pretending they did when it is a bit clear they haven't. For the record I'm a bit iffy on some of the designs.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Reviving this old thread to say that I'm already tired of hearing people refer to the MonsterVerse as "New Showa" in the wake of the god-fucking-awful colorful trailer for Godzilla x Kong. This annoys me for several reasons.
1. "New Showa" is so stupidly unspecific. New Showa could refer to the '54 film, which is as different from GxK as two films in the same franchise can possibly me. I know the intent is "it's like Showa because it's whacky and silly bruh" but that's really only applicable to maybe half the Showa films.
2. Taking itself less seriously ≠ being the new Showa. This movie doesn't look or feel like a Showa film at all and neither did GvK, which some fans said the same thing about. If anything, the MonsterVerse is turning into a MCU-ified Heisei series but even that is a pretty big stretch.
3. Saying the new MV movies are "New Showa era" is like saying The Force Awakens is "New Carter era" because it reminds you of Star Wars movies that came out while Jimmy Carter was President. It doesn't really make sense and it's pretty stupid. To be fair, I know the people saying this just mean it looks like the Showa Godzilla films and not the Showa era of Japan but, then again, I doubt most of the people saying this are even aware that the Showa era is an actual period of Japanese history and not just a designation for the first 15 Godzilla movies.
4. I think these folks are completely missing the fact that a large part of the charm of the Showa era came from the practical effects work of those films. A big-budget all-CG movie series is never going to feel like a return to the Showa Godzilla films, even if the visuals and narratives of the MV movies were evocative of said films, which they're really not at all. Hell, to go back to my prior example, Episode VII at least tried to capture the look and feel of the Original Trilogy; the MV films are very much their own thing, for better or for worse.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Real talk time. "You like Showa so why don't you like the GxK trailer?" is a big steaming hunk of festering, obnoxious dogshit. There are very specific reasons why I love those movies and it has very little to do with "Durr hurr, look at Godzilla doing a tail slide!"

The MV isn't "new Showa". Get out of here with that horseahit.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Legion, you make a good point. Just because you liked an old movie doesn’t mean you’ll like a new movie that superficially resembles it. Just look at how the Star Wars sequels fared.

Piggybacking on that, it’s really weird how the fans are insisting that this movie has to be “dumb fun.” I’m sure I’ll enjoy it, but I also want a half decent story in there. And no, I don’t expect it to be Minus One’s kind of story. Those comparisons irk me already and just devolves into childish “well your thing sucks” arguments. Seen it a million times before in other fandoms. Yawn.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In full agreement with everything else above. I pointed it out before, but "New Showa" is also a poor term because there's distinct eras within the Showa films. What people mean by "New Showa" really is the championship film era. It's also funny seeing people prop Godzilla vs. Megalon as an excuse as to why GXK is okay lol.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Shin Godzilla is super nationalistic.

I mean the entire 3rd act is mostly Japan reaching out to other countries for help. It also shows a lack of understanding in how little control over itself that Japan had after the war.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Neogeddon
Interpol Agent

Post by Neogeddon »

Been seeing a liiiitle too much of the "more godzilla is always better so no criticism of GxK allowed" attitude around lately. Like, full-on arguing in favor of quantity-over-quality. Nah man. In a post Minus One world I simply cannot agree.
✧ ★ ✦ ★ ✦ ★ ✧
ImageImage

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Honestly I am just getting annoyed by people on x calling people who criticize gxk not true fans.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Neogeddon wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:26 pm Been seeing a liiiitle too much of the "more godzilla is always better so no criticism of GxK allowed" attitude around lately. Like, full-on arguing in favor of quantity-over-quality. Nah man. In a post Minus One world I simply cannot agree.
Yeah this is also starting to get annoying as hell. I get we're all hyped because of how well the franchise is doing, but that doesn't mean we should accept anything they throw on our plate just because it has Godzilla's name on it. Bad Godzilla movies, comics, toys, etc exist. We would be wise to avoid falling into the trap that the MCU seems to be in right now, where it's just a barrage of mid TV shows and movies. Quantity is nice, but quality should be the goal first and foremost.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

It’s all right to like something that isn’t the best but you don’t need to say that people who don’t like this direction “isn’t a real Godzilla fan” which is a statement that I absolutely loathe. Not just in this fan base put in Any fanbase. As for me I like the new trailer and I’m excited to see what’s going to happen within the next movie, Even though I’m a bit more older and I wanting more quality stuff but I’m good with stuff like GVK.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The great thing is that if you don’t like the pink Godzilla or TNE’s trailer (I have a feeling a lot of people who are dunking on it will wind up liking it regardless), it’s not like there won’t be a future Godzilla with a blue beam and or more traditional. It’s not like Pink Godzilla is a perma change.