Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by Voyager »

r/GODZILLA (and reddit in general) has both the most basic, milk-bread opinions, and the weirdest, worst takes you could ever have.
For Emperor and Empire!

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I'm not sure if this is for or against what you guys are saying above, but there's this fringe group of people in the subreddit that hate KOTM and insist that everyone who doesn't share their exact views blindly worships the movie like the second coming of christ. Sure, KOTM's generally well like on r/GODZILLA, and a good many people love it, but I haven't regularly seen people circklejerking over how good the movie is.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:19 am r/GODZILLA (and reddit in general) has both the most basic, milk-bread opinions, and the weirdest, worst takes you could ever have.
The irony of you saying this on Tohokingdom is amazing
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:19 am r/GODZILLA (and reddit in general) has both the most basic, milk-bread opinions, and the weirdest, worst takes you could ever have.
Worded it wrong the first time. I just mean you get really negative over these things, but I mean, I do like to have a lick of irony in what I say.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun May 02, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm
You have this thing where you like to get actually kinda mad over sentences like this.
I’m not actually very upset, I’m just exhausted by TK users shitting on everything else but then exhibiting the exact same behaviors that they shit on others for.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:03 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 pm
You have this thing where you like to get actually kinda mad over sentences like this.
I’m not actually very upset, I’m just exhausted by TK users shitting on everything else but then exhibiting the exact same behaviors that they shit on others for.
But I mean, isn’t there a way to say that while coming across less aggressive. I mean, you’ve said this kinda stuff to me and others in the past quite aggressively and it seems that part of you hasn’t shedded.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Just look around TK you'll find some gold star annoying opinions. And it's mostly the younger crowd hate to say it. You'll hear how the Showa era is good but it's cheesy and campy whatever the fuck that means and the MV is the bees knees because muh CGI Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm Just look around TK you'll find some gold star annoying opinions. And it's mostly the younger crowd hate to say it. You'll hear how the Showa era is good but it's cheesy and campy whatever the fuck that means and the MV is the bees knees because muh CGI Godzilla.
I concur with you on that. Here here!
For Emperor and Empire!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A good majority of this fandom, including a healthy amount of people here, really have utterly no clue how to write proper film criticism, analysis, or use filmmaking terminology. Most of the discussions I see here are tantamount to people throwing words like "plot", "cinematography", "framing" etc. around like they're interchangeable buzzwords in an attempt to seem knowledgeable about something they only get at a basic level at best.

And to clarify, this isn't about people liking/disliking certain aspects of movies but using terminology they don't really understand the meaning of in an attempt to look more knowledgeable than they are. If you like part of a movie, just say that you like it. Don't try to butter up your thoughts with words you see media/cinema study students and film critics use just to try and sound like your opinions matter more.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:00 pm A good majority of this fandom, including a healthy amount of people here, really have utterly no clue how to write proper film criticism, analysis, or use filmmaking terminology. Most of the discussions I see here are tantamount to people throwing words like "plot", "cinematography", "framing" etc. around like they're interchangeable buzzwords in an attempt to seem knowledgeable about something they only get at a basic level at best.

And to clarify, this isn't about people liking/disliking certain aspects of movies but using terminology they don't really understand the meaning of in an attempt to look more knowledgeable than they are. If you like part of a movie, just say that you like it. Don't try to butter up your thoughts with words you see media/cinema study students and film critics use just to try and sound like your opinions matter more.
Oh definitely this. Trying to sound like this smug Roger and Ebert type critic. There are a few people here that actually are in the film industry and know their fucking shiyt, but even then they often come off as annoying because of it. But yeah I agree with some that don't know their terminology.

Thank God I never tried that.

You see the films have some flawed plot points that really undermines the formula that doesn't cordinate with the perpendicular cinematography and just throws off the framing most of the time. It lacks characterization with the mm film in which they shot it and it's characters are too bland...... on why Showa sucks and the MV is the greatest......

Lol just an example no one said this LOL.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun May 02, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:00 pm A good majority of this fandom, including a healthy amount of people here, really have utterly no clue how to write proper film criticism, analysis, or use filmmaking terminology. Most of the discussions I see here are tantamount to people throwing words like "plot", "cinematography", "framing" etc. around like they're interchangeable buzzwords in an attempt to seem knowledgeable about something they only get at a basic level at best.

Now you have me worried if I'm guilty of this.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:36 pm

I'm guilty of this. We all are at some point. The trick is to not get caught up with it, it's o.k if you do from time to time just don't do it often and in wanting so hard to impress people here and prove a point. Not everybody studies film or works within it, we're regular joes dude lol.

Added in 4 minutes 21 seconds:
But some people treat it like they're in some fucking college class and are writing a fucking essay on why Godzilla's Revenge is this spiritual fucking movie....(just using it as an example got GR on the brain). Like as if they'll show their work to an employer someday or some crap.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun May 02, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm Just look around TK you'll find some gold star annoying opinions. And it's mostly the younger crowd hate to say it. You'll hear how the Showa era is good but it's cheesy and campy whatever the fuck that means and the MV is the bees knees because muh CGI Godzilla.
Sorry gramps, we don't need those old hokey movies now that the West has realized the true potential of Godzilla :^)
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:48 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:54 pm Just look around TK you'll find some gold star annoying opinions. And it's mostly the younger crowd hate to say it. You'll hear how the Showa era is good but it's cheesy and campy whatever the skreeonk that means and the MV is the bees knees because muh CGI Godzilla.
Sorry gramps, we don't need those old hokey movies now that the West has realized the true potential of Godzilla :^)
Damn it Smuggers. I'm not old :mad:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:46 pm Not everybody studies film or works within it, we're regular joes dude lol.
I actually did. That's why I'm worried if I'm guilty of it anyway. :(
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:56 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:46 pm Not everybody studies film or works within it, we're regular joes dude lol.
I actually did. That's why I'm worried if I'm guilty of it anyway. :(
Oh........ damn. Can't help you with that. If you are well, apologize and erase all your posts that's the only way to make sure nobody holds this over your head....better yet get a new username no one will know.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:36 pm

I definitely am. :huge:

I admit that I have little or no clue what I'm talking about, though, so that makes it okay.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Era gate keepers.

That is pretty much it. Perhaps the most annoying people in the entire fandom.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I feel I am guilty of this. Film critique is so far outside the realm of what I usually write about, someday I hope become more versed in the terminology to better communicate my ideas. Besides this most of the time I can't be bothered to effortpost.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Right now I am feeling personally attacked by this thread. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.