Godzilla Film Tier List

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Film Tier List

Post by Gojira18 »

Decided to try something new here. I'd like to see how the Godzilla films stack up in your opinion on the famous Tier List site. Opinions may vary, and I'm interested to see what you guys think. The tiers themselves can be edited and added/subtracted as you wish.
https://tiermaker.com/create/godzilla-f ... -kotm-8091
Here's mine as an example

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla Film Tier List

Post by szmigiel »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Hmmmmm the more I think about it the more I might actually prefer Ebirah over 1984. Biollante probably belongs with the other films.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I don't think I've ever seen a tier list so pretentious in it's naming system, Mr. Goji :lol:
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

DirektorSplennic wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a tier list so pretentious in it's naming system, Mr. Goji :lol:
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

S Rank - 1954

A Rank - Terror of Mechagodzilla, Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster

B Rank - The Hesei era, GMK, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla (2014), Shin Godzilla

C Rank - Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, Invasion of Astro Monster

D Rank - King of the Monsters (2019), Planet Eater, Final Wars, 2000

E Rank - Planet of the Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megaguirus, King Kong vs. Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla Raids Again

Unsure/Undefined: Ebirah, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, Godzilla vs. Gigan, Godzilla vs. Megalon
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I fucking love you :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

How do I get my tier list on here? I finished it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

DirektorSplennic wrote:How do I get my tier list on here? I finished it.
I downloaded mine, posted it to Facebook, and then linked to that on TK.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:How do I get my tier list on here? I finished it.
I downloaded mine, posted it to Facebook, and then linked to that on TK.
Aw I don't have social media.

This sucks.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

DirektorSplennic wrote: I don't have social media.

This sucks.
Snip the tier list with the snipping tool, save the image and upload it to an image host like Imgur, then paste the link you get onto here.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I find it kind of hard to order the two green rows.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I find it kind of hard to order the two green rows.
You're ranking within the tiers? Doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of tiers in the first place?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
You're ranking within the tiers? Doesn't that somewhat defeat the purpose of tiers in the first place?
I suppose, but I started by putting my top ten and bottom five in order and after that it was kind of hard to stop.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

There we go!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I suppose, but I started by putting my top ten and bottom five in order and after that it was kind of hard to stop.
Oh, man, I think ranking my upper two tiers would be especially difficult/painful/ultimately arbitrary. There's simply no way I could directly compare/choose between, say, King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Eh, ranking the bottom tier would be pretty tough these days, too. Prior to the animes and KotM, bottom place would have solidly belonged to Tokyo SOS, but now that's a much tougher call, with maybe CotEoB and KotM19 competing for the very lowest spot.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:Oh, man, I think ranking my upper two tiers would be especially difficult/painful/ultimately arbitrary. There's simply no way I could directly compare/choose between, say, King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Eh, ranking the bottom tier would be pretty tough these days, too. Prior to the animes and KotM, bottom place would have solidly belonged to Tokyo SOS, but now that's a much tougher call, with maybe CotEoB and KotM19 competing for the very lowest spot.
It's not easy, I'll give you that! First I ask myself how good or bad a movie each entry is. That gives me the tiers. From there I try to weigh each movie against each other based on how comparatively well made they are, or how successful they are at presenting the filmmakers' intent. If they're deadlocked I resort to which one I'd rather watch or eeny, meeny, miny, moe. It's very scientific.

And while I don't think Emmerich's movie is the worst-made Godzilla movie I think it's easily the one that worst represents what Godzilla movies are. So there's some of that involved too.

So yeah it would have been easier to just list them all chronologically in a few tiers. :P
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Terasawa wrote:
eabaker wrote:Oh, man, I think ranking my upper two tiers would be especially difficult/painful/ultimately arbitrary. There's simply no way I could directly compare/choose between, say, King Kong vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Biollante.

It's not easy, I'll give you that! First I ask myself how good or bad a movie each entry is. That gives me the tiers. From there I try to weigh each movie against each other based on how comparatively well made they are, or how successful they are at presenting the filmmakers' intent. If they're deadlocked I resort to which one I'd rather watch or eeny, meeny, miny, moe. It's very scientific.

And while I don't think Emmerich's movie is the worst-made Godzilla movie I think it's easily the one that worst represents what Godzilla movies are. So there's some of that involved too.

So yeah it would have been easier to just list them all chronologically in a few tiers. :P
I list them on how much I like them *twiddles thumbs*

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Baleeted! See my newer post on this topic for an updated list.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.