Godzilla Film Tier List

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Film Tier List

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:15 pm I suppose so. Both HB and GtS feel a bit different than me than SP. They feel more removed, due to them being much more episodic.

GtS would probably be decently in the middle (I enjoy it despite it's flaws).
I'd agree with your ranking. Godzilla: The Series is very much, for better or worse, a standard late 90's Saturday morning cartoon. It's hard to compare to any of the movies quality-wise, because its characters and plot-lines are very simplistic, in addition to being episodic. But it's fun, in spite of that!

Haven't seen the Hannah Barbara show, yet, unfortunately.

Edit: Actually, Godzilla: The Series could probably be safely compared to [i}Godzilla vs Gigan{/i], come to think of it. Simple, easy to understand plotline, colorful but simple characters defined by one or two traits, and it in itself is fairly "episodic" within the Showa series as a whole, not really connecting directly to either Godzilla vs Hedorah or Godzilla vs Megalon.
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My list, as of 26th (or 25th, for you Americans) September, 2021.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Since I just finished rewatching the entire damn series in order, I thought I should update this.

Films aren't ranked within tiers, just listed chronologically. Biggest change on this rewatch is that I've developed newfound appreciation for Ghidorah and RoG. The top 12 films (upper 2 tiers) represent the series at its best. I think "flawed but fun" can be applied to most Godzilla films, even some of those in the "mediocre" and "bad" tiers. Those films just have deeper flaws than those in the third row.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy