Godzilla Film Tier List

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Film Tier List

Post by tbeasley »

UPDATE - Used a preference revealer again. Not a strict, set in stone ranking at all, just gives you an idea where they're placed in my head/heart. Some would definitely flipflop if I did it again, for whatever reason, but as for now...
Spoiler:
I love -
Godzilla (1954)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
The Return of Godzilla (1984)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)

I really like -
Shin Godzilla (2016)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

I like -
Godzilla 2000: Millennium (1999)
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla (2014)
GODZILLA: Planet of the Monsters (2017)

I don't like as much -
GODZILLA: The Planet Eater (2018)
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)
GODZILLA: City on the Edge of Battle (2018)
Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla (1994)
Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

I don't like at all -
GODZILLA (1998)
Last edited by tbeasley on Sun May 16, 2021 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

GmkGoji wrote: Godzilla vs Hedorah is my personal least favorite Godzilla film due to the slightly disturbing nature of it. When I first watched it, it terrified me o the point I was actually scared of anything relating to Godzilla. I eventually overcame it of course, but whenever I watch it, it still gives me unpleasant vibes. In terms of it actually being a movie, its not bad. It has its flaws yes, and it can be slightly cringe at times, but its actually pretty good.
Fair enough. If you were dismissive of it on the grounds of "stoopid becuz Godzilla fly", as an annoying number of fans are, I'd argue with you. However, I can't argue with being uncomfortable with the film for personal reasons. In fact, I can relate to the sentiment; I'm still unable to enjoy Batman Returns because it traumatized me as a kid, despite it being a pretty solid Batman film and Danny DeVito being a favorite of mine.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Basic Ass Godzilla Fan Tier List
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Nah, you slipped up. Shouldn't the Beam Wars Trilogy be near the top? I thought those three were mostly worshipped outside of TK, or at least the second two.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here is how younger me would rank the movies.

Like really, I found an old PowerPoint ranking all the Godzilla movies around the time 2014 came out. For Shin, Anime Trilogy and KOTM I just based them off "hOw CoOl tHeY aRe".
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

JAGzilla wrote:^ Nah, you slipped up. Shouldn't the Beam Wars Trilogy be near the top? I thought those three were mostly worshipped outside of TK, or at least the second two.
Hey man, I'm trying to make fun of everyone here, TK included. I was originally going to put "bEtTeR eFfEcTs" for those three movies in mockery of their worshippers, but I thought "beam wars" was funnier. The Bio Wars comment was also a jape at TK.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Basic Ass Godzilla Fan Tier List
Imagine someone walking in here and saying how this was actually accurate to their rankings. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Updated the list ever so slightly, some because i realized some were a bit better or worse than i thought, others because i was just being a dumbutt.

For some reason i thought putting COTEOB in front of Planet Eater thought that made it the worse one. In reality, i think Planet Eater is the better of the 2018 film, but that's not really saying too much here.
Last edited by Gigantis on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here is my list updated to the 12th of June, 2020.

Mostly just repositioning within the tiers and a few changes to tiers.

Added in 1 month 7 days 18 hours 58 minutes 58 seconds:

This is my Tier List as of 20th of July, 2020.

I changed the Tier Names from letters to the numbers based on where I'd put the movies in a list of worst to best. Left to right in each tier is best to worst.
For Emperor and Empire!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

That tiermaker is cool.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Okay, how the hell do i upload images from tierlist.com like that??? I’m on mobile and i can’t figure it out for the life of me :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Since I guess everyone's gonna be doing this again...

Resized Image
Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:17 am Okay, how the hell do i upload images from tierlist.com like that??? I’m on mobile and i can’t figure it out for the life of me :lol:
Save the image and then upload it to an image-hosting site such as Imgur (which you'll need an app for on mobile) or PostImages.org. When you post it here, I'd recommend resizing it somewhat using the [pic] code; full size images screw with the mobile formatting.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Now, without further ado, i bring you my tier list that will certainly get me blocked by everyone in this thread!

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 am Save the image and then upload it to an image-hosting site such as Imgur (which you'll need an app for on mobile) or PostImages.org. When you post it here, I'd recommend resizing it somewhat using the [pic] code; full size images screw with the mobile formatting.
Thanks a lot for the tip!
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:08 am Now, without further ado, i bring you my tier list that will certainly get me blocked by everyone in this thread!

Terasawa wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 am Save the image and then upload it to an image-hosting site such as Imgur (which you'll need an app for on mobile) or PostImages.org. When you post it here, I'd recommend resizing it somewhat using the [pic] code; full size images screw with the mobile formatting.
Thanks a lot for the tip!
Disagree with a few but... I’ve seen far far worse.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue May 18, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Ooo, fun!

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I understand Godzilla SP is a television show, not a film, but it feels like a proper "entry" in the franchise. I wonder how people would rate it if it was included on the list.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:20 pm I understand Godzilla SP is a television show, not a film, but it feels like a proper "entry" in the franchise. I wonder how people would rate it if it was included on the list.
I'd rank it as decent at the very minimum. Though if we're going to start including TV shows then Godzilla: The Series is easily good -top tier. I haven't seen the HB Godzilla in years so I can't rank it fairly.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:20 pm I understand Godzilla SP is a television show, not a film, but it feels like a proper "entry" in the franchise. I wonder how people would rate it if it was included on the list.
I don't think I could rank it. I think it's hard enough to include the anime trilogy and Hollywood films because of how fundamentally different they are from the Japanese films. SP is a tougher challenge because it's of a different medium altogether.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Do you really have to wonder about me? :P

(Okay, I'll rate it higher than the anime trilogy, probably.)

Still, if we're including Singular Point, I feel it's only fair to throw in Godzilla: The Series and the Hannah Barbara show too.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spuro wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:12 pm
Do you really have to wonder about me? :P

(Okay, I'll rate it higher than the anime trilogy, probably.)

Still, if we're including Singular Point, I feel it's only fair to throw in Godzilla: The Series and the Hannah Barbara show too.
I suppose so. Both HB and GtS feel a bit different than me than SP. They feel more removed, due to them being much more episodic.

GtS would probably be decently in the middle (I enjoy it despite it's flaws).
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.