How can I watch the old Toho monster films?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
david77
Young Farmer

How can I watch the old Toho monster films?

Post by david77 »

Hello everyone,

I want to rewatch the old Godzilla/Mithra/Rodan/Ghidorah films after being incredibly excited by the new trailer, but can't find a legal way to do so? Previously I would just torrent, but these days I prefer to own the stuff I watch. I'm UK based. Ideally there's a region 2 dvd boxset I just can't find.

Anyone know?

In particular I want to rewatch Godzilla, Ghidorah the three headed monster, and all the crossover ones. The new film just had me on a total kick for all these films I loved to watch years ago.

Thanks.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: How can I watch the old Toho monster films?

Post by MikeSTZillak »

There's some Austrailian DVD sets, but if you own a region free player, then you should probably import Blu-Rays from the U.S.

Added in 4 minutes 32 seconds:
Also, this might help you out.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

david77 wrote:Hello everyone,

I want to rewatch the old Godzilla/Mithra/Rodan/Ghidorah films after being incredibly excited by the new trailer, but can't find a legal way to do so? Previously I would just torrent, but these days I prefer to own the stuff I watch. I'm UK based. Ideally there's a region 2 dvd boxset I just can't find.

Anyone know?

In particular I want to rewatch Godzilla, Ghidorah the three headed monster, and all the crossover ones. The new film just had me on a total kick for all these films I loved to watch years ago.

Thanks.
Mike already provided some suggestions for DVD and Blu-Ray. But one other option you might check out is just viewing them on Amazon. You can rent or buy many of the movies in the series that way. Just be aware that, in most cases, you're going to be watching the dubbed versions.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think the Criterion Channel offers some of the older Showa films you're looking for. It's subscription based, like Netflix, and they offer a 14 day free trial.

https://www.criterionchannel.com/

They currently offer:
- Godzilla (1954)
- Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
- Rodan (1956)
- Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
- Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster (1964)
- Monster Zero/Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)
- Son of Godzilla (1967)
- Godzilla's Revenge/All Monster's Attack (1969)
- Godzilla vs Megalon (1973)
- Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
- Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

From what you mentioned you're looking for, the only one that I think is missing is the original Mothra (1961).
Last edited by Spuro on Sat May 04, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm not sure Criterion Channel is available in the UK yet.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Think you're a bit screwed, best solution is just torrenting the films or renting them from iTunes, assuming the latter is an option over there.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

You could use amazon that has digital version of the movies.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... _cbs_318_4

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

As a UK fan, I eventually got a region-free player. A lot of the DVDs are still prohibitively expensive, but it is now easier for me to watch the films.

Alternatively, you could get the Japanese region 2 DVDs.

Can of Conspiracy
JXSDF Technician

Post by Can of Conspiracy »

You guys do realize this is a bot, right?

(His post is a copy/paste of this reddit thread from last december.)
goblin shark (plural goblin sharks) [ˈgɒblɪn shärk'], noun:
1. a shark with a long pointed obstruction from forehead and growing to 3.8 meters in length; Mitsukurina owstoni.
2. not a reference to Guiron.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can of Conspiracy wrote:
You guys do realize this is a bot, right?

(His post is a copy/paste of this reddit thread from last december.)
Not surprised, but I don’t think this invalidates the thread. It’s s good discussion of modern ways to access to Toho films and might be useful to the new members/fans of the franchise.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

robrtlinr
Young Farmer

Post by robrtlinr »

Starz has a lot of them, but I don't know about in the UK. I also expect some reissues leading up to the new film. Criterion currently has the rights to most of the old ones.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

If you have HBO Max in the UK, I believe almost every Showa Godzilla film is there now in the US. Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, and I think Mothra are there as well. Someone else mentioned Starz, which I believe might still have some Showa films. At some point, a few of them could be found there in the US. Otherwise, I think the Criterion blu ray collection is a decent option around, which is around $110-120 USD on Amazon now. There are illegitimate means of streaming the main Showa films and some of the more obscure flicks like Gorath and Mantango, but I abstain from saying where.

solarcatthree
Young Farmer

Post by solarcatthree »

Speaking of which, most of the many, many films featuring Godzilla are currently streaming across various outlets, ranging from Toho's original classic from 1954 straight through their epic Shin Godzilla from 2016 and right into the animated trilogy that's exclusively available here in the States through Netflix.