Why is the Emperor never mentioned?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Why is the Emperor never mentioned?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

To my knowledge, no Godzilla film, or for that matter any piece of Japanese media I’ve ever seen, has ever mentioned the Emperor. Does anybody know why? I guess it’s not something that’s immedietly relevant to much but you’d think it might come up once or twice in something. Maybe it’s a respect thing that is lingering from the era where the Emperor was thought to be a living god? But the modern institution is pretty identical to the British monarchy, and British media references the Queen all the time.

Before anyone comments, yes i know the eras are named after the Emperors. I’m talking about within the films themselves. For example, the Emperor lives right in the middle of Tokyo. Isn’t it odd that there’s never been a throwaway line about evacuating him?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Why is the Emperor never mentioned?

Post by JAGzilla »

The Imperial Palace was used to shelter civilians during the first episode of the GATE anime, for what that's worth...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. I do find it odd that he's never been mentioned.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Emperor Hirohito, who reigned throughout World War II and about half the Godzilla franchise's history, would have been an awkward personage to bring up in a series that deals so much with the Japanese military, weapons of mass destruction, and Honda's globalist ideals.

Emperor Akihito is a nerd who doesn't embrace celebrity and lacks that kind of pop culture persona that grabs filmmakers' attention.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Emperor Hirohito, who reigned throughout World War II and about half the Godzilla franchise's history, would have been an awkward personage to bring up in a series that deals so much with the Japanese military, weapons of mass destruction, and Honda's globalist ideals.

Emperor Akihito is a nerd who doesn't embrace celebrity and lacks that kind of pop culture persona that grabs filmmakers' attention.
Agreed, especially about Hirohito - there is still debate over how much power he truly had, but at the end if the day, it’s his signature on the orders to use poison gas, and we know that the Allies were willing to overlook war crimes if it suited them (hanging Hirohito would have reignited WWII in Japan). Leaving him out of Godzilla films was a smart decision in regards to Honda’s message.

I did find it strange, though, that no-one said anything about evacuating the Emperor in Shin Godzilla. That film deals a lot with politics and Japan’s national identity, yet it never even mentions the person who the constitution calls "the symbol of the State and of the unity of the people”.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

It's taboo to represent any living emperors or emperors too close to current time in writing/media. It's a tradition/rule that's just stuck around for the last 1000 years.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

ShinGi wrote:It's taboo to represent any living emperors or emperors too close to current time in writing/media. It's a tradition/rule that's just stuck around for the last 1000 years.
Interesting. It makes sense - the Japanese do apparently hold their Emperors in great esteem.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I remember reading that the only things off limits for being destroyed in any daikaiju film are shrines and the Emperor's palace.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

As far as I'm aware, Episode 1 of GATE is literally the only Japanese media I've encountered that even indirectly refers to the Emperor. As the others said, though, it's out of respect for the Imperial family and my understanding is that it's basically taboo.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Cause he hasn't had any real power since post WWII. As it is now, he's just a symbol now more than anything.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Living Corpse wrote:Cause he hasn't had any real power since post WWII. As it is now, he's just a symbol now more than anything.
That would make him easier to depict, not less; no fear of retribution for perceived disrespect. It doesn't answer the question at all.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

mikelcho wrote:I remember reading that the only things off limits for being destroyed in any daikaiju film are shrines and the Emperor's palace.
I assume that must extend to Buddhist temples and pagodas, too? I've always wanted to see a kaiju destroy a pagoda, but I figured they were spared out of respect. Really, you don't see Christian churches destroyed in action movies very often, either. I remember a cathedral being destroyed in the 2012 movie, but that's about it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Cause he hasn't had any real power since post WWII. As it is now, he's just a symbol now more than anything.
That would make him easier to depict, not less; no fear of retribution for perceived disrespect. It doesn't answer the question at all.
Or you know, make him less relevant.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

The only major post-WW2 media info I've ever heard about Emperor Hirohito is that "Lambert the Sheepish Lion" was his favorite Disney short, and that he was given the original print of said short as a gift.
Last edited by Billzilla1974 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:
The same is true of the British Royal Family, yet a royal wedding is a major television event, with millions of viewers.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Cybermat47 wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote: That would make him easier to depict, not less; no fear of retribution for perceived disrespect. It doesn't answer the question at all.
The same is true of the British Royal Family, yet a royal wedding is a major television event, with millions of viewers.
Well, I think although the institutions are very similar (actually, Japan’s entire goeverent functions off of a very British model), the cultures are very different. Respect for authority is much stronger in japan than in the UK.

Although, to LCs point, let’s not forget the British royal family isn’t just for the UK. I don’t know what the experience is in Australia, but in Canada the monarchy is a topic rarely ever brought up by anybody, despite it being central (albeit ceremonially) to the function of government. The Queen is an ocean away so people just forget about her. I’ve never watched a Canadian tv show outside of the news where they brought up Elizabeth II in the context of being Queen of Canada. Not an identical situation to Japan, but still, maybe it’s not so unusual to not mention the Emperor.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I remember reading that the only things off limits for being destroyed in any daikaiju film are shrines and the Emperor's palace.
I assume that must extend to Buddhist temples and pagodas, too? I've always wanted to see a kaiju destroy a pagoda, but I figured they were spared out of respect. Really, you don't see Christian churches destroyed in action movies very often, either. I remember a cathedral being destroyed in the 2012 movie, but that's about it.
I'm guessing that it probably meant all shrines, regardless of what they are. I have to admit that it wasn't too specific, it just said shrines and that's it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’ve never watched a Canadian tv show outside of the news where they brought up Elizabeth II in the context of being Queen of Canada.
It came up a couple of times on The Kids in the Hall.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:
Kaiju-wise, the Stay-puft Marshmallow Man steps on one... ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:
Kaiju-wise, the Stay-puft Marshmallow Man steps on one... ;)
"I'll kill anything, but never a kid. Be like killin' a priest. Catholic priest, that is." - Cheyenne, Once Upon a Time in the West
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.