Which Godzilla films would you introduce your friends and family to the series with?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Which Godzilla films would you introduce your friends and family to the series with?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

For me, here are my following:
  • Godzilla '54
    King Kong vs. Godzilla
    Mothra vs. Godzilla
    Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
    Godzilla '84
    Godzilla vs. Biollante
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
    Godzilla 2000
    Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
    GMK
    GxMG/Tokyo SOS
    Godzilla 2014
    Shin Godzilla
What films would you introduce your family and friends with? Some of the same as my list? Or maybe some other examples? Please feel free to use the comment section down below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

UltramanGoji

Re: Which Godzilla films would you introduce your friends and family to the series with?

Post by UltramanGoji »

First off, there's already a topic like this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24644

I know the Search function of the forum sucks, but a few minutes browsing through the backlog isn't that big of a deal.

Second,
SonOfGorgo wrote:Please feel free to use the comment section down below. Thank you.
This isn't YouTube dude, there's no "comment section", this is a forum. You don't need to ask people to participate in the thread, they'll do so on their own accord.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Re: Which Godzilla films would you introduce your friends and family to the series with?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote:First off, there's already a topic like this:
Aren't we not allowed to revive threads that are over a year old?
UltramanGoji wrote:This isn't YouTube dude, there's no "comment section", this is a forum. You don't need to ask people to participate in the thread, they'll do so on their own accord.
Alright mate, don't mean to annoy anyone.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:First off, there's already a topic like this:
Aren't we not allowed to revive threads that are over a year old?
No, it's fine to bump old threads if you have something relevant to add to the conversation (which you would've).

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

UltramanGoji wrote:No, it's fine to bump old threads if you have something relevant to add to the conversation (which you would've).
Oh, really? Alright.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The other thread is specifically for Heisei era and later, though. Four of the movies on SonOfGorgo's list would be off-topic.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote:The other thread is specifically for Heisei era and later, though. Four of the movies on SonOfGorgo's list would be off-topic.
Okay, I edited it now. This thread of mine is meant for the overall series, regardless of era.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I always start them off with the original. While there's a YMMV element to any movie, the original Godzilla is one that most viewers will recognize as really, exceptionally good. Also, because it is so far from one the uninitiated think "a Godzilla movie" is usually like ("two guys in cheap rubber suits smashing into cardboard buildings"), it helps to wash away their preconceptions pretty quickly.

After that, what I show next really depends on the person, as tastes can vary so wildly. However, two that always make it in pretty early in the process are Hedorah and GMK. Those never fail to get very enthusiastic responses.

Biollante also tends to be one that I show near the top. It's always the best received of the Heisei flicks. And Monster Zero really turns on people who already have a taste for outre sci-fi (which is, like, almost anybody worth knowing, right?).

Mostly, I guess I lean towards showing slightly atypical examples of the series, and try to get in some bizarre and surreal stuff, and some stuff with a darker edge.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

(These are all Japanese versions only)
-Gojira
-Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 1974
-Terror of Mechagodzilla
- The Return of Godzilla
- Godzilla vs Biollante
- GMK
- Godzilla 2014
-Shin Godzilla
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would say the original Mothra vs. Godzilla, Godzilla vs. King Kong, or Godzilla 2000... possibly Monster Zero or vs. Mechagodzilla if I thought the sci-angle might appeal to the individual.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SonofAnguirus
Yojimbo

Post by SonofAnguirus »

I know it gets a lot of hatred in fan circles, but I think Final Wars is an excellent entry to show the uninitiated. It showcases a wide array (albeit very briefly in some cases) of Godzilla's friends and foes, Don Frye is extremely entertaining, the movie as a whole exudes a vibrant, frenetic energy, and Akira Takarada absolutely kills it in his role. It's hard for those without the built-in prejudices a lot of G-Fans have against this movie not to enjoy it and, much like some of the darker and more surreal entries mentioned, is a good way to immediately shatter some of the negative preconceptions people may have about the franchise.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonofAnguirus wrote:I know it gets a lot of hatred in fan circles, but I think Final Wars is an excellent entry to show the uninitiated. It showcases a wide array (albeit very briefly in some cases) of Godzilla's friends and foes, Don Frye is extremely entertaining, the movie as a whole exudes a vibrant, frenetic energy, and Akira Takarada absolutely kills it in his role. It's hard for those without the built-in prejudices a lot of G-Fans have against this movie not to enjoy it and, much like some of the darker and more surreal entries mentioned, is a good way to immediately shatter some of the negative preconceptions people may have about the franchise.
I would not attribute most of the problems people have with this movie to fan prejudices, but rather to personal tastes. While I have never shown it to somebody totally new to the genre, I have watched it with five different non-fans or casual fans, and every one of them has hated it.

To some of your specific points:

- It showcases a wide variety of Godzilla's friends and foes, but why would a non-fan care? It rushes through a wide array of monsters without giving a new viewer a chance to find out anything about them, or really appreciate them.

- Don Frye is terrible; his performance might work at a kitsch level, but to many viewers he is extremely annoying.

- That frenetic energy means that nothing has any time to develop, nothing has a sense of significance. The movie's hyperactivity can really, really grate on people.

- If anything, I feel like this movie reinforces a lot of the negative preconceptions people may have about the franchise.

I don't doubt that there are some viewers for whom GFW is a great introduction, but I wouldn't expect those people to be anything like the majority.

Really, when it comes right down to it, I think tastes are too individual, and this series too varied, for there to be any one movie, or even small handful of movies, that could be considered across-the-board good choices for introducing outsiders.

SonofAnguirus
Yojimbo

Post by SonofAnguirus »

eabaker wrote:
I would not attribute most of the problems people have with this movie to fan prejudices, but rather to personal tastes. While I have never shown it to somebody totally new to the genre, I have watched it with five different non-fans or casual fans, and every one of them has hated it.

To some of your specific points:

- It showcases a wide variety of Godzilla's friends and foes, but why would a non-fan care? It rushes through a wide array of monsters without giving a new viewer a chance to find out anything about them, or really appreciate them.

- Don Frye is terrible; his performance might work at a kitsch level, but to many viewers he is extremely annoying.

- That frenetic energy means that nothing has any time to develop, nothing has a sense of significance. The movie's hyperactivity can really, really grate on people.

- If anything, I feel like this movie reinforces a lot of the negative preconceptions people may have about the franchise.

I don't doubt that there are some viewers for whom GFW is a great introduction, but I wouldn't expect those people to be anything like the majority.

Really, when it comes right down to it, I think tastes are too individual, and this series too varied, for there to be any one movie, or even small handful of movies, that could be considered across-the-board good choices for introducing outsiders.
Those are some good points. I personally am unaffected by the criticisms you level against this movie (other than how it rushes through each monster without giving ample time to appreciate them), and have had the fortune of showing it to non-fans for whom it was a great fit. As you say, though, tastes are too individual for any one movie to be a good introduction for every new person. I'll try and keep that in mind if I ever run into someone who doesn't love Final Wars.

As a point of clarification, what specific negative preconceptions that people tend to have about the franchise do you feel are present in Final Wars?
Last edited by SonofAnguirus on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonofAnguirus wrote:[As a point of clarification, what specific negative preconceptions that people tend to have about the franchise do you feel are present in Final Wars?
That they're shallow, kitschy movies built around cheesy monster fights.

SonofAnguirus
Yojimbo

Post by SonofAnguirus »

eabaker wrote:
SonofAnguirus wrote:As a point of clarification, what specific negative preconceptions that people tend to have about the franchise do you feel are present in Final Wars?
That's fair. For whatever reason, GFW has never rankled me for being just that. It's possible my tastes are too broad; it's always been impossible for me to completely dislike any one Godzilla film. Having said that, I really do love GFW, and I also understand why others do not. The beautiful thing about the Godzilla fandom is the vastly differing attitudes towards various iterations.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonofAnguirus wrote:
eabaker wrote:
SonofAnguirus wrote:As a point of clarification, what specific negative preconceptions that people tend to have about the franchise do you feel are present in Final Wars?
That's fair. For whatever reason, GFW has never rankled me for being just that. It's possible my tastes are too broad; it's always been impossible for me to completely dislike any one Godzilla film. Having said that, I really do love GFW, and I also understand why others do not. The beautiful thing about the Godzilla fandom is the vastly differing attitudes towards various iterations.
Yeah, for a franchise that seems superficially to be so limited in its concept, the concept of Godzilla has managed to produce a really impressive variety of movies, in terms of tones, styles and themes.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Unless someone has shown interest in learning more about this niche genre I just don't bother. I don't know if it's the area I live in but people generally don't give these films a chance. I'm lucky to have met one of my friends in middle school who gave it a chance and became almost as big a fan as me. My family, unless it has an actor they recognize, they just aren't interested.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Living Corpse wrote:My family, unless it has an actor they recognise, they just aren't interested.
Maybe someone like Raymond Burr, or Nick Adams, or Brian Cranston?

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Godzilla 1954
Godzilla Final Wars
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla 2014

Definitely not King Kong vs Godzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

latinothor wrote:Definitely not King Kong vs Godzilla
Why not? It's one of the best and most beloved movies in the genre, and the broad comedy helps demonstrate how much variety exists in said genre when it's shown alongside almost any other entry.

KKvsG is one I almost always show people early in the process of introducing them to the series, though as a rule it pretty much has to be the Japanese cut.