Kaiju Headcanon Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Eel221 wrote:I think ToMG happened after DAM, hence the flashback of DAM Manda (and absence of Titanosaurus on the island??)

Are there any sources stating that ToMG happened in the 70's?
The scene with Manda is stock footage, but to the audience it is meant to be interpreted as something new.

You don’t need a source for it specifically being in the 1970’s. The film is clearly present day japan in 1974/5/70’s based on the clothing and style.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: The scene with Manda is stock footage, but to the audience it is meant to be interpreted as something new.

You don’t need a source for it specifically being in the 1970’s. The film is clearly present day japan in 1974/5/70’s based on the clothing and style.
Thanks for the answer. Looks like Manda had attacked humanity before.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

If you want Headcanon just treat the Champion Festival films as their own separate era and continuity, one where Godzilla is a superhero kaiju, no need to tie them to DAM or any other 60's film.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

my personal headcanon for that is its Katsure remembering a rampage of the DAM Manda long beofre Monsterland was even a thing

RIP Evan.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Showa Godzilla's underwater home is possibly an ancient civilization in ruins similar to how it is in KOTM.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

godzilla king of the monsters (1956) and 1985 are in continuity with the japanese films as it shows the same events happening but from the american's perspective

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon are actually happening in a manga. And the heavy use of stock footage in those two films is the rendition of artirts recreating real past events and fights. Don't ask me about Zone Fighter, haven't seen it so I can't be sure if it fits with my headcanon.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:You don’t need a source for it specifically being in the 1970’s. The film is clearly present day japan in 1974/5/70’s based on the clothing and style.
Couldn't you then say that DAM is "clearly" set in the 60s for the same reason? We see plenty of cities and people in regular civilian clothing that is clearly of-the-time and not designed to feel futuristic.

I mean....if we are talking about a world where DAM is 1999/end of 20th century with those various aesthetics....then I can easily buy that Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla occur AFTER DAM.

All of these movies are clearly operating in a bit of a 'hyper reality' anyways.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:You don’t need a source for it specifically being in the 1970’s. The film is clearly present day japan in 1974/5/70’s based on the clothing and style.
Couldn't you then say that DAM is "clearly" set in the 60s for the same reason? We see plenty of cities and people in regular civilian clothing that is clearly of-the-time and not designed to feel futuristic.
While there are a lot of people in contemporary clothing, there are also a few choices made to break with that, like the lack of lapels on the agents' jackets.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Chrispy_G wrote:Couldn't you then say that DAM is "clearly" set in the 60s for the same reason? We see plenty of cities and people in regular civilian clothing that is clearly of-the-time and not designed to feel futuristic.
In the commentary on the Media Blasters disc it’s mentioned that there’s an attempt to make the fashions look futuristic, although it’s subtle. The Tokyo detectives wear suits without lapels, which I’m sure was never a real fashion in 1968 Japan. (eabaker sniped me!)

And except for the military technology reappearing, there’s nothing futuristic about the ‘70s Godzillas. DAM, however, has handheld radar devices, video phone technology, etc.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

A Godzilla attacked Tokyo in 45 or 54 in the Polygon Trilogy Timeline. Maybe just blowing up part of the city in one blast.
Godzilla faced off against a second Orga and Hedorah at some point in the Polygon Trilogy Timeline. Destoroyah as well once the human left the Earth.
Godzilla killed the Giant Octopus in that Timeline.
Monsterverse creatures like the MUTOs, Shinomura, Behemoth, Scylla, Methuselah, Tiamat, Orochi & Amhuluk, Etc. existed in that Timeline 's past. Perhaps some still do within a Hollow Earth type region of the Earth like the Skullcrawlers and Warbats.
Some GTS creatures existing in the Polygon Trilogy Timeline like CRex, Giant Squid, El Gusano but all got quickly killed by the military.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I always pretend there's three main concurrent Showa timelines. One is Godzilla, one is the space trilogy, and one is Frankenstein through Space Amoeba (which could conceivably also take place in the Godzilla series world I guess.)
Frank, Dogora, Gargantuas, Kong Escapes, and Space Amoeba. You could squeeze Latitude Zero and Matango in there if you want.
I know it's all arbitrary but it's hard to fit Atragon anywhere because of how thoroughly Tokyo is annihilated by the Mu :lol:
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed May 26, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Megalon is the Showa Battra.

Megalon is an insect god, worshipped by an ancient civilisation, and can be seen as a Showa couterpart to Mothra.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:47 am I know it's all arbitrary but it's hard to fit Atragon anywhere because of how thoroughly Tokyo is annihilated by the Mu :lol:
Way to spoil a movie you jerk. I've never watched Atragon.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:03 pm Way to spoil a movie you jerk. I've never watched Atragon.
I'm sorry goji, my bad. It's a brilliant movie, and hearing it glossed over vs actually seeing it go down are two very different things, I hope you'll still check it out! I'm gonna go sit in my shame corner now.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Shin King Ghidorah was a species of dragon that was irradiated by cosmic radiation.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

The Mutos are actually parasites from a different planet that King Ghidorah attacked and was overthrew by a bigger and stronger Ghidorah came and attacked him

That bigger Ghidorah was Kaiser Ghidorah

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Showa Rodan (GTTHM) is the surviving male Rodan from 1956.

The Godzilla from Godzilla 2000: Millennium is the 1954 Godzilla’s younger brother.

Final Wars Rodan is the son of the 1956 Rodan pair.

MonsterVerse Rodan may not yet be fully grown and is still a juvenile/teenager at the time of KOTM.

Kiryu Saga Godzilla is the 1954 Godzilla’s son; for all intents and purposes, he’s Godzilla Junior.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Destoroyah could have continued taking on larger and more terrifying forms if she hadn’t gotten got by Godzilla and G-Force.

Anime Ghidorah is the progenitor of all the Ghidorahs seen throughout the franchise, including whatever was piloting the Gorath in the prequel novels.

Somewhere in the Gamera universe there’s a supreme Legion queen that they all originate from.

Zone Fighter was fighting the Garoga somewhere off-screen during Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and TOMG, hence why he was not there to help.

Showa King Ghidorah was once a Golden Garoga overlord who transformed into his current state to destroy a particularly troublesome world and lost his mind in the process, escaping into the cosmos away from his kind.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:48 pm Destoroyah could have continued taking on larger and more terrifying forms
Minilla: Oh yeah that's the stuff.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image