Kaiju Headcanon Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Kaiju Headcanon Thread

Post by Dr. Professor »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: * In the multiple Cloverfield universes, there are at least a few where Godzilla also exsits. In most of those universes, Clover ended up living due to Godzilla taking pity on them. I also like to think in at least one Showa style timeline, Godzilla straight up adopted Clover. Mostly because I feel bad for Clover dying alone.
Clover didn't die anyway. In the end credits they have that "It's still alive" message.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: * In the multiple Cloverfield universes, there are at least a few where Godzilla also exsits. In most of those universes, Clover ended up living due to Godzilla taking pity on them. I also like to think in at least one Showa style timeline, Godzilla straight up adopted Clover. Mostly because I feel bad for Clover dying alone.
Clover didn't die anyway. In the end credits they have that "It's still alive" message.
Yeah, but then JJ confirmed it was dead in an interview. Maybe it's alive, maybe it's dead, I'm not sure.

RIP Evan.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Yeah, but then JJ confirmed it was dead in an interview. Maybe it's alive, maybe it's dead, I'm not sure.
So I guess the message was pointless then? That's weird. Make up your mind, JJ!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Dr. Professor wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Clover didn't die anyway. In the end credits they have that "It's still alive" message.
It's better not to believe anything about the Cloverfield universe :lol: The Terminator timeline looks like kindergarten math compared to it.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Some more I've thought up since my last post.
* Anime Mechagodzilla is VERY intelligent. How so? I think it is completely possible that the AI knew they couldn't beat Godzilla in their current form and so, it purposely turned itself off to grow into the Mechagodzilla city to even the odds. At the least, this gives Mechagodzilla a much more pronounced role, going from a tool for the Bilusado to the new master with them as it's tools. That seems pretty Urobuchi, if you ask me.
Great idea! I was thinking the same thing.

- I believe there's more Filius out there, I mean why would there only be one?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SoggyNoodles2016

Dr. Professor wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Clover didn't die anyway. In the end credits they have that "It's still alive" message.
Tell me about it. Thats my main problem with this new Cloververse. Despite shifting it to focus on Cloverfield with Paradox, they seem to have just given up on following anything from the first movie. Forget multidimensional travel and aliens, focus on Tartugo or Clover's species or the undersea ecosysteym. Everything that was interesting about Cloverfield is being dropped for no reason. It's so frustrating.

Added in 2 minutes 16 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: It's better not to believe anything about the Cloverfield universe :lol: The Terminator timeline looks like kindergarten math compared to it.
Yup. Mostly because it's less well thought out universe and more JJ picks films he likes and comes up with bullpoop reasons they're in his film universe.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

My weird head canon:

The Planet X Aliens were controlling Ghidorah in his debut film = In one of my weird attempts to further connect the Showa films, as a kid, I envisioned that the aliens from Planet X sent Ghidorah to subjugate the Earth and leave it open for a good old fashioned resource plundering. They had been doing this for centuries (hence tying Ghidorah to Mars or Venus, depending on which version you go by). When they saw that Ghidorah had been defeated by the Earth monsters, they concocted a more devious scheme to take over the Earth.

Now there is absolutely no evidence to support my insanity, nor does it really add anything to the movies. It was just me as a kid making stuff up and trying to increase continuity between films.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:My weird head canon:

The Planet X Aliens were controlling Ghidorah in his debut film = In one of my weird attempts to further connect the Showa films, as a kid, I envisioned that the aliens from Planet X sent Ghidorah to subjugate the Earth and leave it open for a good old fashioned resource plundering. They had been doing this for centuries (hence tying Ghidorah to Mars or Venus, depending on which version you go by). When they saw that Ghidorah had been defeated by the Earth monsters, they concocted a more devious scheme to take over the Earth.

Now there is absolutely no evidence to support my insanity, nor does it really add anything to the movies. It was just me as a kid making stuff up and trying to increase continuity between films.
That's actually a fun headcanon, and if there had been more thought to continuity back then, might have been interesting to hear of some suspicion of the Xilians due to Ghidorah's original arrival from space.

I dig this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GojiDog wrote:
Now there is absolutely no evidence to support my insanity, nor does it really add anything to the movies.
Actually when the Xeleins reveal they were controlling Ghidorah it seems like the characters arrive at the same conclusion, they were behind Ghidorah's attacks -from the beginning-.

That seems very clearly to have been the film's intention.

I've never heard an argument to refute the idea beyond "filmmakers were too dumb in the 60s".
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I never interpreted that line as referring to the previous movie, but to the point when they first encountered Ghidorah earlier in the same movie. Like, "for as long as we have been aware of this situation, he has been under their control."
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

If Sekizawa wanted to connect the Xiliens to Ghidrah’s 1964 attack he would have done it explicitly. eabaker’s interpretation of the line is correct: it’s at that point that the astronauts realized that the first Ghidrah attack on Planet X was set up by the Xiliens to make the astronauts think Planet X needed Earth’s help.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ford and his family died from radiation poisoning due to how close Ford was to Godzilla.

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ford and his family died from radiation poisoning due to how close Ford was to Godzilla.
Was Monsterverse Godzilla radioactive? I don't think he was or else the whole movie got a he'll of a lot darker. Maybe the bomb's radiation?

Also, two more non Toho ones.

* Ready Player One's Mechagodzilla is from a future fictional Godzilla movie.
* Rampage takes place in the Monsterverse. The "other government agency" Negan works for is Monarch.

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Was Monsterverse Godzilla radioactive? I don't think he was or else the whole movie got a he'll of a lot darker. Maybe the bomb's radiation?
If not then my headcanon is that during the attack of the TITANS in King of the Monsters. Ford and his family were among the causalities.

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Was Monsterverse Godzilla radioactive? I don't think he was or else the whole movie got a he'll of a lot darker. Maybe the bomb's radiation?
If not then my headcanon is that during the attack of the TITANS in King of the Monsters. Ford and his family were among the causalities.
Wow, you really don't like the Brodys, do you?

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
I don't like them either but not sure why they HAVE to be dead in the next movie. I'm perfectly happy we're focusing on other characters, that's enough for me.

Not like they've gone out of their way to kill off old characters in other Godzilla films.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: * Rampage takes place in the Monsterverse. The "other government agency" Negan works for is Monarch.
I second this. Honestly I wonder if they intentionally made it easy to headcanon it into the MonsterVerse. I know that's far fetched, but it's just a thought.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Wow, you really don't like the Brodys, do you?
Not my fault they were a bunch of empty husk of shells and emotionless robots especially one that ended up replacing the more interesting Joe Brody. Their deaths would be the only good thing to come out of them and make up for it.

SoggyNoodles2016

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Wow, you really don't like the Brodys, do you?
Not my fault they were a bunch of empty husk of shells and emotionless robots especially one that ended up replacing the more interesting Joe Brody. Their deaths would be the only good thing to come out of them and make up for it.
Ok, you know what. I'm done. I have to make this confession.

Joe Brody is not the end all be all character who's death ruined the movie. He had a tragic arc and was extremely well acted by Cranston but that's it. The minute the MUTO was unleashed and the world knew he was right? His story was done. Edwards mentioned who he tried to keep him alive but guess what? It doesn't work. Either he stays with Serizawa and Graham to become another exposition dump, or he joins Ford and this dramatic disaster movie that tries to make Godzilla less of a goofy joke in America becomes a crappy buddy road trip between a dad and a son. Plus, what else does he have to do? He finally found out what killed his wife, bonded with Ford and proved he was right. What else does he have to do?

TLDR, Joe was a good character, but stop insisting we have to shove him in the movie or the rest of the characters need to be killed off for having their own story arcs and not focusing on the guy who's story took up the first half hour.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Like Ford was any better just saying.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: If not then my headcanon is that during the attack of the TITANS in King of the Monsters. Ford and his family were among the causalities.
I don't like them either but not sure why they HAVE to be dead in the next movie. I'm perfectly happy we're focusing on other characters, that's enough for me.

Not like they've gone out of their way to kill off old characters in other Godzilla films.
I dunno, maybe every Legendary Godzilla movie should open like a kaiju version of Friday the 13th part 2, by having a monster show up and off the previous flick's lead.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.