Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

I don't mind the phrase "Beam wars" it sounds cool as fuck. But again, the sparks can be explained when monsters scratch at each other their skin is like steel you'll get sparks. There were plenty of robots in the Heisei era so yeah..... sparkle, sparkle.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I'm not sure how you're supposed to make Mothra a threat without modern CGI without resorting almost exclusively to beam effects, et cetera. Especially if you're not looking to go ROM with it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:15 pm I'm not sure how you're supposed to make Mothra a threat without modern CGI without resorting almost exclusively to beam effects, et cetera. Especially if you're not looking to go ROM with it.
I mean, classic Mothra was able to avoid it. We even got bits like this.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:16 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:15 pm I'm not sure how you're supposed to make Mothra a threat without modern CGI without resorting almost exclusively to beam effects, et cetera. Especially if you're not looking to go ROM with it.
I think while appropriate and amazing for a showa film, Kawakita couldn't resort to the "cheesiness" of that scene in the 1992 film. He had to up the ante a bit. I don't think audiences were entirely convinced Mothra was actually capable of beating Godzilla in the 64 film and I think Kawakita tried to reconicle that in this film.

Edit: Don't mean that really as a criticism of Mothra vs. Godzilla, its a great film.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I liked Showa's way of handling it: Make Mothra fucking enormous. :lol:

Toho need to bring back Big!Rodan and Big!Mothra.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KK42 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 pm
I liked Showa's way of handling it: Make Mothra skreeonking enormous. :lol:

I kind of agree with you. I don't think GvM is his best work, so I'll admit it wasn't the best. Overall my point is I think he tends to be over scrutinized and underpraised in comparison to other SPFX directors. Hell, you could make the same argument about Nakano.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:18 pm
I think while appropriate and amazing for a showa film, Kawakita couldn't resort to the "cheesiness" of that scene in the 1992 film. He had to up the ante a bit. I don't think audiences were entirely convinced Mothra was actually capable of beating Godzilla in the 64 film and I think Kawakita tried to reconicle that in this film.

Edit: Don't mean that really as a criticism of Mothra vs. Godzilla, its a great film.
I mean, I think making the "cheesiness" argument is a pandora's box one should be careful to avoid with Godzilla in ANY era TBH. Outside of Goji 54 and Shin Goji all the Godzilla films have a degree of cheese to them by the nature of the genre. Even Shin has had moments where people pulled that attitude from it.

I just think looking at the Heisei films Super Sentai spark films as being "less" cheesy is asking for some disgruntled reactions from Mothra vs. Godzilla. Point is there are ways to not rely only on beam spams to convey an action scene. It is a style choice as much as a budget one, and while I can respect them doing their own thing it just is far from my personal cup of tea.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:22 pm

I mean, I think making the "cheesiness" argument is a pandora's box one should be careful to avoid with Godzilla in ANY era TBH. Outside of Goji 54 and Shin Goji all the Godzilla films have a degree of cheese to them by the nature of the genre. Even Shin has had moments where people pulled that attitude from it.

I just think looking at the Heisei films Super Sentai spark films as being "less" cheesy is asking for some disgruntled reactions from Mothra vs. Godzilla. Point is there are ways to not rely only on beam spams to convey an action scene. It is a style choice as much as a budget one, and while I can respect them doing their own thing it just is far from my personal cup of tea.
Yeah, no, I get that sounded harsher than I mean. I'm a big fan and I think it looks great, especially given the time it was produced. I mean its just incredible. Hahahaha I'll give you MvG is better than GvM. I'm not about to make that argument. There are, however, some good SPFX scense there, parsed through a largely mediocre film. Baby/Little Godzilla...I don't really want to talk to much about that lol. I mean there's a lot of cheese there. Still I feel like Kawakita overall somehow enhanced both the elements of realism and fantasy in his SPFX work. I LOVE the random lights behind MKG lmao.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:27 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:22 pm

Yeah, no, I get that sounded harsher than I mean. I'm a big fan and I think it looks great, especially given the time it was produced. I mean its just incredible. Hahahaha I'll give you MvG is better than GvM. I'm not about to make that argument. There are, however, some good SPFX scense there, parsed through a largely mediocre film. Baby/Little Godzilla...I don't really want to talk to much about that lol. I mean there's a lot of cheese there. Still I feel like Kawakita overall somehow enhanced both the elements of realism and fantasy in his SPFX work. I LOVE the random lights behind MKG lmao.
And you are free to enjoy those effects, I enjoy the spectacle of the lights to a degree to even if the sparks don't do anything for me. And I respect that view, I just think the Heisei films went too far too often in that side of the Kaiju battles which prevented them from being for me all they could be. But I do like the distinct style in the grander Godzilla multiverse to add variety to things.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

This definitely isn’t a popular opinion with the larger, majority of the G-Fandom, but on TK it is for whatever reason

I like the Heisei series as a whole a lot more than the Showa series

Dunno why, maybe it’s because i grew up on a mix of Heisei, Millenium, and a tiny bit of Showa?

Also Heisei Goji is the definitive Godzilla in every way, bar none
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I want huge Rodan to come back. Same height as Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:48 pm I want huge Rodan to come back. Same height as Godzilla.
Same. I'm tired of small Rodan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:48 pm I want huge Rodan to come back. Same height as Godzilla.
Same. I'm tired of small Rodan.
I’m sorry, newer Rodans, but you’re just not big enough to satisfy me...

I need a Rodan that’s bigger... thicker...
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Very based opinions. Bring back Bro-dan.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SP is the only small Rodan that's worked for me and that's only because I'm a filthy slut for monster swarms.

We need tall Rodan again. The world needs him.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:31 am SP is the only small Rodan that's worked for me and that's only because I'm a filthy slut for monster swarms.

Bravo good sir! Bravo!
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:31 am SP is the only small Rodan that's worked for me and that's only because I'm a filthy slut for monster swarms.

Rodan bows to no one!

-casts shifty side-eyes towards the MV version- >_>

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Nature has an order. A power to restore balance. We call him... Tall Rodan.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

#Tall Rodan Confirmed!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 pm
KK42 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:19 pm
I liked Showa's way of handling it: Make Mothra skreeonking enormous. :lol:

I kind of agree with you. I don't think GvM is his best work, so I'll admit it wasn't the best. Overall my point is I think he tends to be over scrutinized and underpraised in comparison to other SPFX directors. Hell, you could make the same argument about Nakano.
True enough. Return of Godzilla and Biollante are great examples of what Nakano and Kawakita can do given enough time and money. Unfortunately after Ghidorah Kawakita really wasn't given much of either.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983