Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Rodan kinda would have died if he didn’t bow to and serve Ghidorah. There’s a difference between being brave and being suicidal.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

God i knew i shouldn't have said anything before i made a fool out of myself lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 am God i knew i shouldn't have said anything before i made a fool out of myself lol
You went off script, we're fighting about LMG.

I need you to focus Starscream.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LMG sucks, moving on.

I really only think Mothra has an above-average redesign in the MV, aside from the fantastic Kong.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 pm LMG sucks, moving on.

I really only think Mothra has an above-average redesign in the MV, aside from the fantastic Kong.
Funny enough, Mothra is the one MV redesign I flat out hate.

Legs on the fucking abdomen, Jesus Christ... :facepalm:

Learn some basic insect anatomy, you moronic designers.

Added in 4 minutes 52 seconds:
Gigantis wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:23 am God i knew i shouldn't have said anything before i made a fool out of myself lol
Nah, you’re right. Rodan was exactly like Starscream in that movie. Other than his size (stop making Rodan so small for pete’s sake), it’s the one thing I don’t like about that incarnation.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:01 pm
Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:49 pm LMG sucks, moving on.

Funny enough, Mothra is the one MV redesign I flat out hate.

Legs on the skreeonking abdomen, Jesus Christ... :facepalm:
I agree, I am not too keen on LMothra. I hate that version so much.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

MV Mothra might be my fav version of the character. I actually love the hybrid insect/bug attributes, and unlike other versions this Mothra actually keeps its silk when it becomes an Imago which has always been its best ability.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I still, to this day, fail to understand why Gamera 3 is seen as such a sacred icon of the fandom. It's good, don't get me wrong at all, easily in my top 10 kaiju films. But I'm kinda left scratching my head at how so many hold it as extremely "deep" or thought provoking when the movie itself doesn't really do much to answer some of its own questions. Open endedness can be good and all, so it doesn't need to answer everything; but it's kinda telling I had to consult someone who watched that movie and read its extended material religiously to get the major lore. I will note the great stuff it's got going for it, like Ayana being someone who loathes the title kaiju but sees the error of her ways; but a lot of the really detailed stuff I see get praised isn't very apparent in the film. And I'm sorry, but if a film asks a question and does provide an answer, I much prefer the answer not require backing up and rewatching it multiple times to read it.

Honestly when taking some more mature subject matters like grief, loss, and separation I honestly felt Gamera the Brave handled it better; because among other things, it spent the time to back up and fully explain itself instead of relying on audience memory of tiny details.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Honestly? Even though the Legendary Mothra is very unique, I don't have much to say about her. I can safely say that I like her quite a bit, but I find it hard to compare her to the earlier incarnations. I do think the smaller body and larger wings look good, and I do appreciate how much more flexible she is than the Heisei version, but that's about all that stands out. With how drastic of a redesign it is, I feel like I should have a more visceral reaction to it... but I really don't. It's just a solid redesign to me.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I think the gamera trilogy is good, but goddamn they aren’t the best things ever.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:15 pm I think the gamera trilogy is good, but goddamn they aren’t the best things ever.
I don’t think anyone has ever said they’re the best things ever.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:15 pm I think the gamera trilogy is good, but goddamn they aren’t the best things ever.
Uh....yes some have even said they are better than the entire Heisei Goji series. I believe the first two Gamera films are the best while the third can suck turtle dick.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:35 am
Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 pm
Uh....yes some have even said they are better than the entire Heisei Goji series. I believe the first two Gamera films are the best while the third can suck turtle dick.
But... best thing ever? Don’t think that’s ever been said, not even by a complete Gamera shill.

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
Not a fan of G84.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:35 am Uh....yes some have even said they are better than the entire Heisei Goji series.
They... kind of are though? Biollante and maybe Return of Godzilla and parts of King Ghidorah, if I'm being nice, are the only Heisei Godzilla films that even deserve to be part of the same conversation as the Gamera Trilogy. And even then, Gamera is the gold standard that we're trying to hold Godzilla up to. The rest of the Heisei Godzilla entries, by comparison, look like some guy threw them together in his back yard.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:22 am
goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:35 am Uh....yes some have even said they are better than the entire Heisei Goji series.
They... kind of are though? Biollante and maybe Return of Godzilla and parts of King Ghidorah, if I'm being nice, are the only Heisei Godzilla films that even deserve to be part of the same conversation as the Gamera Trilogy. And even then, Gamera is the gold standard that we're trying to hold Godzilla up to. The rest of the Heisei Godzilla entries, by comparison, look like some guy threw them together in his back yard.
Only Biollante and parts of KG can hold a candle to the Gamera films imo.
For Emperor and Empire!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Anything less than Godzilla vs Kong 2 is gonna disappoint general audiences.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Honestly I think most General Fans would be happy with a Godzilla BC or Kong: Hollow Earth film XD I don't think they are demanding a rematch sequel

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 pm Anything less than Godzilla vs Kong 2 is gonna disappoint general audiences.
The truth nobody wants to hear.

I really do think Godzilla VS Kong will be the last Monsterverse feature film because of this. Mainstream audiences are hard enough to impress nowadays, so while Godzilla VS Kong was one of those fights that needed to happen again, there is really nowhere else to go that will excite people. G14 reintroduced the character, KSI set up Kong, KOTM reintroduced the other three major Kajiu, and GVK was the payoff for all of this. The Monsterverse has been great, but they have more or less hit a brick wall now. I am sure there will be plenty of books, graphic novels, and other random stuff in the future, but I am not seeing where else they can go that would excite people in terms of major movie outings.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Keizer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:55 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 pm Anything less than Godzilla vs Kong 2 is gonna disappoint general audiences.
The truth nobody wants to hear.

I really do think Godzilla VS Kong will be the last Monsterverse feature film because of this. Mainstream audiences are hard enough to impress nowadays, so while Godzilla VS Kong was one of those fights that needed to happen again, there is really nowhere else to go that will excite people. G14 reintroduced the character, KSI set up Kong, KOTM reintroduced the other three major Kajiu, and GVK was the payoff for all of this. The Monsterverse has been great, but they have more or less hit a brick wall now. I am sure there will be plenty of books, graphic novels, and other random stuff in the future, but I am not seeing where else they can go that would excite people in terms of major movie outings.
That's the truth I want to hear :twisted:

I think the MV has run it's course anyways. Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna go back to binge watching all the Showa films 5 times over...

Also, I think that my reputation to most new forum-members and some others is now simply 'The Showa Shill who hates the MonsterVerse'
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I personally think you all are quick to jump the gun on "death of the MV" train personally. But we'll see what the future holds.