Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by JAGzilla »

Maritonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:22 am I really want to let this go, honestly. But I'll reply.

But, I want to mention you say all of your comments weren't true, but you doubled down on them? The Barney song, Cookie Monster with a tommy gun, etc. For my money, I don't care that you thought/think these things. My issue stemmed from the blanket statement implying this is how we all felt, clearly. I think it's a bit extreme. I have Blippi, Ryan's Toys, and various other children's show going 24/7 in my house and I've not once gone "I hope Blippi's head explodes." Which, I mean. If that's your experience that's fine, that's valid. I was a bit taken aback by it, personally? Because I can't imagine a fictional character evoking such a visceral response. But, again. You do you.

I think tone and text is a common problem online, not just here. I'm not sure where I stand on that "friends" list
Spoiler:
Probably non existent because I'm staff and the staff are nazis
but I don't have any issue with you individually. I just found your initial posts a bit...much. But, thanks for elaborating more.
It isn't actually a visceral response, is the thing. Just dark humor. I don't and never did honestly want Barney dead. I guess maybe my family and childhood peer group just had a darker than average sense of humor? My brother had something like this happen the other day at work, made some crack that we would consider perfectly tame, and the person he was talking to was shocked and took it seriously. *shrug* I dunno. I'm as baffled by the response to this as you seem to be by me. Humor along these lines is all over the internet, and on shows like Robot Chicken, where you have Jason killing off the Scooby Doo Gang and Cookie Monster eating Keebler elves and that kind of thing.
Spoiler:
And no, you're not my friend. I can't stand Nazis.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu May 19, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:43 am
Maritonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:22 am I really want to let this go, honestly. But I'll reply.

But, I want to mention you say all of your comments weren't true, but you doubled down on them? The Barney song, Cookie Monster with a tommy gun, etc. For my money, I don't care that you thought/think these things. My issue stemmed from the blanket statement implying this is how we all felt, clearly. I think it's a bit extreme. I have Blippi, Ryan's Toys, and various other children's show going 24/7 in my house and I've not once gone "I hope Blippi's head explodes." Which, I mean. If that's your experience that's fine, that's valid. I was a bit taken aback by it, personally? Because I can't imagine a fictional character evoking such a visceral response. But, again. You do you.

I think tone and text is a common problem online, not just here. I'm not sure where I stand on that "friends" list
Spoiler:
Probably non existent because I'm staff and the staff are nazis
but I don't have any issue with you individually. I just found your initial posts a bit...much. But, thanks for elaborating more.
It isn't actually a visceral response, is the thing. Just dark humor. I don't and never did honestly want Barney dead. I guess maybe my family and childhood peer group just had a darker than average sense of humor? My brother had something like this happen the other day at work, made some crack that we would consider perfectly tame, and the person he was talking to was shocked and took it seriously. *shrug* I dunno. I'm as baffled by the response to this as you seem to be by me. Humor along these lines is all over the internet, and on shows like Robot Chicken, where you have Jason killing off the Scooby Doo Gang and Cookie Monster eating Keebler elves and that kind of thing.
Spoiler:
And no, you're not my friend. I can't stand Nazis.
Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's strange that the humor exists. I think just how it was presented here caught me off guard.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

To me theres a line between "I hate Minya and the movies he appeared in!" and "Minya needs to die and we all want him to die and his death would make the movies better!" And that line was definitely crossed in this thread.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Go back and reread the beginning of the conversation, Legion. If you're still talking about me, anyway; if not, carry on.
Maritonic wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:45 am Yeah, I'm not suggesting it's strange that the humor exists. I think just how it was presented here caught me off guard.
Fair. Toneless internet text strikes again, I guess.

Well, this has all been random and strange. New unpopular opinion time: I like powerful Mothra incarnations and would like to see her outright win more battles and survive more movies. I like when she has beams and other outlandish abilities, too. The Showa incarnation was great, but just kind of... not enough, for my taste. There is always a balance to be struck, though, of course. Heisei was a pure beam spammer and Leo was too over the top. Something like KOTM was close to the mark, but a beam and a bit more size and power would have been nice. A more traditional appearance, too, of course, though she wasn't completely terrible as an experiment.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Speaking of beam attacks..

I am honestly perfectly okay with future Rodan incarnations having beam weapons. That said, I don't think they should bring back the Uranium Heat Ray unless its specifically Fire Rodan. IDK, I'm just picky like that. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I just want to see Toho do Rodan justice again. It's been way too long.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:45 am I just want to see Toho do Rodan justice again. It's been way too long.
When was the last time he was done justice in your eyes?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:45 am I just want to see Toho do Rodan justice again. It's been way too long.
That makes two of us...
godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:04 am When was the last time he was done justice in your eyes?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Spuro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 am
That makes two of us...
godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:04 am When was the last time he was done justice in your eyes?
Yup, pretty much.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am
Spuro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:07 am
That makes two of us...
Yup, pretty much.
Said it before but my unpopular opinion stands: Heisei Rodan is not that bad, and I enjoyed that take.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:40 am I was listening to all the main themes of the franchise, and I’m proud in saying that I honestly prefer the 2014 Godzilla theme over KOTM’s. I has a very specific vibe to it, and I dig it.
Honestly, agreed.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:25 pm Said it before but my unpopular opinion stands: Heisei Rodan is not that bad, and I enjoyed that take.
I'm with you. I like the design and the characterization, and I don't consider the execution nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:04 am

Well, this has all been random and strange. New unpopular opinion time: I like powerful Mothra incarnations and would like to see her outright win more battles and survive more movies. I like when she has beams and other outlandish abilities, too. The Showa incarnation was great, but just kind of... not enough, for my taste. There is always a balance to be struck, though, of course. Heisei was a pure beam spammer and Leo was too over the top. Something like KOTM was close to the mark, but a beam and a bit more size and power would have been nice. A more traditional appearance, too, of course, though she wasn't completely terrible as an experiment.
I thought KoTM Mothra had just that right balance. It was still vulnerable, but also a brave fighter capable of defeating a bigger and stronger kaiju. I can't help remembering what a friend said regarding this version of Mothra; If you underestimate her, she'll shive you.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Say you want but I would like to see Ghidorah or other Godzilla enemies win just for once, Godzilla movies has been getting to predictable as of late not saying that predictable is bad but I would like to have my prediction to be subverted, but it should be a reasonable one
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu May 19, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I'd like future portrayals of Rodan to be roughly Godzilla's size like in the Showa era. Smol Rodan's cool and all, but I'd like a change in pace and upsize Rodan again.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:25 am
Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:55 am

.....I guess....

His presence adds to the drama of Son of Godzilla. The climax of that films works 100% because the audience does feel sorry for Minya and doesn't want to see anything happen to him. Kumonga comes across as the bastard he is because he's going after such a weak creature.
Also, I may get argued on this but I feel like if Kumonga had killed Minlla. Nobody in the audience would have given a living poop
just sayin
How old are you? Seriously.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
its an opinion my dude. dont like it move on

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

There an opinion and there's saying something incredibly disturbing that gets a rise out of everyone on the board.

Dude.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla4Life wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:28 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:25 am
Godzilla4Life wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:59 am

Also, I may get argued on this but I feel like if Kumonga had killed Minlla. Nobody in the audience would have given a living poop
just sayin
How old are you? Seriously.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
its an opinion my dude. dont like it move on
Why did you say you may get argued then immediately jump to its my opinion move on? Seems like you were inviting debate and then just shut it down?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kiryu2012 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 pm I'd like future portrayals of Rodan to be roughly Godzilla's size like in the Showa era. Smol Rodan's cool and all, but I'd like a change in pace and upsize Rodan again.
This probably isn't that unpopular around these parts. Either way, agreed.