Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:57 pm
I found out recently in an audio commentary for the film, the directors revealed that Mechagodzilla was originally planned to overwhelm Godzilla Earth with several different conceptual ideas from actual characters, such as transforming its arms into cannons, growing additional heads that shoot beams, or having Mechagodzilla City itself combine and transform into a gigantic Mechagodzilla, with multiple parts that fly and combine further, which would reach about 1 kilometer in height."
Additionally, the turrets of Mechagodzilla City were to be modeled after Mechagodzilla's head, but this idea was turned down.
This is up there with "World of Godzilla is a cinematic universe" as one of the most annoying fandom "rumors" that go around.

That interview specifically says they were LAUGHING saying this, and further explains it was never an actual thing they planned out, it was them shooting the shit and joking about what sort of crazy gonzo stuff they'd have done with no budget and if they did a film they DIDN'T want to do (because this has been explained before in interviews, Toho said no monster fights as in no 70s superhero shit and the director Hiroyuki Seshita said he thought monsters fighting would take away from his story)

Spreading this around as what was supposed to happen is acting like every time someone jokes in an interview about who'd they want in a sequel is CONFIRMATION they're looking for that actor in a sequel

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 pm I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.

The Godzi-I mean, "Tyrannosaurus" suit is pretty good but... is that the first Anguirus to ever have fangs?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:48 pm This is up there with "World of Godzilla is a cinematic universe" as one of the most annoying fandom "rumors" that go around.

That interview specifically says they were LAUGHING saying this, and further explains it was never an actual thing they planned out, it was them shooting the shit and joking about what sort of crazy gonzo stuff they'd have done with no budget and if they did a film they DIDN'T want to do (because this has been explained before in interviews, Toho said no monster fights as in no 70s superhero shit and the director Hiroyuki Seshita said he thought monsters fighting would take away from his story)

Spreading this around as what was supposed to happen is acting like every time someone jokes in an interview about who'd they want in a sequel is CONFIRMATION they're looking for that actor in a sequel
Wait...so none of that was actually real? Damn.

In hindsight...yeah, that sounds about right. Don’t think that those ideas would’ve ever even been considered with the directors mindsets :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Unlike literally everyone else on Reddit or Twitter, I don’t want every single TOHO kaiju under the sun + Gamera to come into the MV

Like, okay, I get it, we all love the MV and us as kaiju fans have never had such a great period of time and we’re super eager for stuff. But wanting stuff like Zilla, Mecha-KG, fucking Kiryu in the MV? Nah. That’s never and should never happen. Legendary isn’t gonna buy the rights to Gorosaurus or Varan just for them to be a one-off Kong villain.

Also, as cool as it would be, Gamera’s not making it into the MV. I’ve tried to explain why it would never happen on various posts in r/GODZILLA and r/monsterverse but I always just get downvoted :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:43 am I’ve tried to explain why it would never happen on various posts in r/GODZILLA and r/monsterverse but I always just get downvoted :lol:
You're trying to talk to the same people who somehow believe Utraman has a chance of making it in and that Bagan has a high chance of being in the grand finale, what else would you expect?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:43 am Also, as cool as it would be, Gamera’s not making it into the MV. I’ve tried to explain why it would never happen on various posts in r/GODZILLA and r/monsterverse but I always just get downvoted :lol:
I wish I could downvote this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I still don't think the Polygon trilogy is as bad as it's made out to be. :shrug:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:48 am You're trying to talk to the same people who somehow believe Utraman has a chance of making it in and that Bagan has a high chance of being in the grand finale, what else would you expect?
Well...

Yeah, you’re right. I have no idea why Godzilla fans in particular are so gullible about things :lol:
Maritonic wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:49 am I wish I could downvote this.
Hey, don’t blame me for TOHO’s stinginess! Not my fault they utterly despise Gamera :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:05 am I still don't think the Polygon trilogy is as bad as it's made out to be. :shrug:
Yeah, it's not that unbearable. Okay, CotEoB is but Monster Planet was okay and Planet Eater was really good.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:27 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:05 am I still don't think the Polygon trilogy is as bad as it's made out to be. :shrug:
Yeah, it's not that unbearable. Okay, CotEoB is but Monster Planet was okay and Planet Eater was really good.
*Eyebrow twitches on reflex*

I disagree but respect your opinion. If you enjoyed it, more power to you.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:43 am Unlike literally everyone else on Reddit or Twitter, I don’t want every single TOHO kaiju under the sun + Gamera to come into the MV

Like, okay, I get it, we all love the MV and us as kaiju fans have never had such a great period of time and we’re super eager for stuff. But wanting stuff like Zilla, Mecha-KG, fucking Kiryu in the MV? Nah. That’s never and should never happen. Legendary isn’t gonna buy the rights to Gorosaurus or Varan just for them to be a one-off Kong villain.

Also, as cool as it would be, Gamera’s not making it into the MV. I’ve tried to explain why it would never happen on various posts in r/GODZILLA and r/monsterverse but I always just get downvoted :lol:
I agree completely and utterly. Getting the rights to a monster from Toho is a fucking ordeal and a half, so Legendary’s not going to get every single kaiju Toho has, and why fucking would they anyway, the MV doesn’t need goddamn Varan or Baragon.

I would rather see the MV bring in more original kaiju than just remaking Toho’s kaiju.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:01 am The MV doesn’t need goddamn Varan or Baragon.
Incorrect. Everything needs more Baragon.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like 55 as a thinner 54.

57 is a neat missing link between 55 and 62.

62 was never a favorite but it's grown on me.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

tbeasley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:21 am I like 55 as a thinner 54.

What's 57?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 am
tbeasley wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:21 am I like 55 as a thinner 54.

What's 57?
Read a page back, bud.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

57 is so sharp
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 pm is that the first Anguirus to ever have fangs?
The '55 costume had fangs, too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:42 pm
Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:40 pm I'm curious: What do you '55 fans see in that design? At certain angles, and in certain shots (often dependent on the photography), I think it looks OK, but overall, it's my least favorite Godzilla suit (yes, even below the SoG costume). Give me the unused 1957 Godzilla suit instead.

Resized Image
I agree. The 57 suit for the Volcano Monsters looks much better.
Huh, I always thought they just sent over the GyakushuGoji suit.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I personally just don't get the love foe 55 Anguirus. Like yeah, the black and white makes the suit stand out more but I never got its visual love. And I feel Showa had a much more defined and likeable personality making it far more endearing.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

68 Anguirus is Anguirus to me.