Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

I think the real unpopular opinion is "I liked SP" lol

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 pm I think the real unpopular opinion is "I liked SP" lol
Really seems like it. Which is very surprising to say the least

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It seems that Godzilla should be staying away from anime....unless we get someone who can do it right.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:33 pm It seems that Godzilla should be staying away from anime....unless we get someone who can do it right.
It isn't as much Godzilla in anime as it is Toho's vision for Godzilla since Shin.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Not only did I like SP, I loved it. It's kinda crazy how people have turned against it imo. Seems like when it dropped people were pleased but a little confused, now that it's been out for a while consensus seems to have shifted towards the negative around TK.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:16 am Not only did I like SP, I loved it. It's kinda crazy how people have turned against it imo. Seems like when it dropped people were pleased but a little confused, now that it's been out for a while consensus seems to have shifted towards the negative around TK.
Hey now! I for one hated Singular Point BEFORE it was cool. :P

(Disclaimer: It’s fine if you enjoy SP lol, it’s just never been for me.)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 pm I think the real unpopular opinion is "I liked SP" lol
In that case, I actually find GSp the best of the Reiwa era so far!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally I have a soft spot for Singular Point. The exposition can be heavy at times and some of the Kaiju action a little lacking, but I found this to be my fav version of Jet Jaguar and did find the human characters fun which is more than I can say for the Anime Trilogy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's a big step up from the trilogy, for sure. Not perfect, but I had fun watching it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Singular Point does a lot of stuff I've wanted to see from Godzilla forever and some brand new shit I wouldn't have even THOUGHT of before that I adore.

Easily the best non-film Godzilla media, imo

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am Easily the best non-film Godzilla media, imo
I simply cannot agree with this claim in a world where the Blue Oyster Cult song exists.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:14 am
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am Easily the best non-film Godzilla media, imo
I simply cannot agree with this claim in a world where the Blue Oyster Cult song exists.
Or my beloved Pipeworks games.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am Singular Point does a lot of stuff I've wanted to see from Godzilla forever and some brand new shit I wouldn't have even THOUGHT of before that I adore.

You speak the truth, my mans.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GodzillavsJason wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am Singular Point does a lot of stuff I've wanted to see from Godzilla forever and some brand new shit I wouldn't have even THOUGHT of before that I adore.

You speak the truth, my mans.
I'm gonna have to agree. Even in a world where BÖC, the Pipeworks trilogy and Bambi vs Godzilla exist.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla the Series is far and away the best wholely American Godzilla media that currently exists (sans music, video games, and whatnot). Encompassing all American Godzilla media that distinction probably goes to the Random House YA novels.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu May 12, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

eabaker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:14 am
In Case > Blue Oyster Cult

"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

BOC's song not only has a great beat, but also teaches us how nature points out the folly of man.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While the SP songs (In Case and Aoi) are nice, and they were earworms for me, they could be completely unrelated to Godzilla and no one would bat an eye. A lot of anime does this, and it’s really unclear if these were forced in to meet a quota or just try to cross promote.

The BOC is probably the greatest Godzilla song to date, because it’s explicitly about Godzilla while simultaneously being a great classic rock hit.

It’s also probably near and dear to a lot of people on here, because it’s definitely a cornerstone in the American Godzilla fandom.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat May 14, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

You know after watching the anime trilogy I’ve come to realize after all the history I gave it when I rewash them all the only ones that come close to my hatred is the second film and that’s all of course there are some problems with the biggest one is the wasted potential that it could provide but they didn’t do any of it but I would say the first and the third are OK with the third being the best out of all of them. And I can’t believe I’m saying this but I prefer the anime trilogy over Shin Godzilla. The reason why is because the army trilogy has one good character in it and it’s Meaphi, I can’t spell the name but you get my point any character in shin Godzilla are so forgettable that I cannot remember their names, But the best thing about about that movie in general is Shin Godzilla shin Godzilla is one of the most interesting and creepiest incarnation they have ever did and from creator of EVA that should be expected but this shin Godzilla is honestly One of my top favorite incarnations owing to be bested by legendary’s but that’s all I can say about that film that is generally good, to me at least.

Godzilla4Life
Ronin

Post by Godzilla4Life »

Ok ya I agree that minlla was a good aspect of making the showa godzilla trilogy more "kid friendly" But if you look from a monster action view Id say hes pretty disappointing