Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla vs Kong: Destroy All Monsters is the only way to go. If they wanna make more money, it's their best choice. I don't think another solo Godzilla or Kong film will cut it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I think it's fair to say that the MV has a little more fuel left in the tank but I don't think it could sustain anything more than another full blown "phase". I wouldn't be opposed to more Western-produced Godzilla projects but I don't think the MV has to continue on forever for that to be the case.

Not even sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I often see people liken KOTM to a Showa era film when in my mind it's much closer to your post-1991 Heisei fare.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Smuggers wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:14 am
Not even sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I often see people liken KOTM to a Showa era film when in my mind it's much closer to your post-1991 Heisei fare.
Agreed. The only thing semi-Showa is about it is how it uses the monsters and even that is just because they have personality.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I could see the MonsterVerse going up to the "Destroy All Titans" movie that everyone seems to be clamoring about.. Anything beyond that though and i feel like it'll go into the same problem the MCU is kinda going in. We have a perfect place where the MV can stop and we can see another western studio take on the Godzilla Mythos like Universal or Paramount or something, but the MV going beyond the finish line might just make it a shell of it's former self.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Man going to war with the titans is the most likely way to go further, but I can't see how it would go beyond that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Man already went to war with the Titans. He lost. Badly.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:46 am Man already went to war with the Titans. He lost. Badly.
Whoa who?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, nuking them(!) just feeds them, and Mechagodzilla was a total failure, so...

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:24 pm Well, nuking them(!) just feeds them, and Mechagodzilla was a total failure, so...
Spoiler:
That's more a failure by sabotage than anything. Mecha G was beating the belts off Godzilla & Kong before the whisky was pored in its controls.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:28 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:24 pm Well, nuking them(!) just feeds them, and Mechagodzilla was a total failure, so...
Spoiler:
That's more a failure by sabotage than anything. Mecha G was beating the belts off Godzilla & Kong before the whisky was pored in its controls.
Spoiler:
But all of that happened after it went off the rails (due to the influence of a Titan, Ghidorah) and killed its creator. It only attacked Godzilla because that's what Ghidorah wanted. Humans had no say in its actions.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:46 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
But all of that happened after it went off the rails (due to the influence of a Titan, Ghidorah) and killed its creator. It only attacked Godzilla because that's what Ghidorah wanted. Humans had no say in its actions.
Spoiler:
But it was more proof man COULD build things that can compete and even dominate Titans. The tech is there, the issue is they used a bio computer and Ghidorah's "ghost" taking over really the Apex guys had no way to guess that could've happened.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Spoiler:
It is also important that MechaGodzilla only worked thanks to the Hollow Earth energy and took years to construct I don't think any other corporation could create another mecha as they'd lack the capital, and that's not even mentioning the insane regulation there will no doubt be and backlash

MechaGodzilla leveled nearly all of Hong-Kong he made the destruction the Mutos did look like nothing. But Mechagodzilla's remains are still out there at the end of the movie so there's a good chance a lot of it might be salvageable

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The whiskey was a complete non-factor in the outcome of the battle, though. It makes Mechagodzilla hesitate for a split-second, that's it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:03 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The whiskey was a complete non-factor in the outcome of the battle, though. It makes Mechagodzilla hesitate for a split-second, that's it.
Spoiler:
Hesitated and stalled out his drill tail (You see it power down in the momentary stall), which was literally seconds from killing Kong. I'd say that was a key factor in the fight, otherwise they'd be dead.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Spoiler:
I mean, you could have had Godzilla power-up Kong's axe slightly earlier and the outcome would be the same. The whiskey thing just comes off as a contrived way to a) give the humans something to do and b) create some forced tension by making it appear that Kong is about to die.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla was kinda making it hard to create a "good" moment for Godzilla to power said axe. Given how relentless it was in beating the piss out of Godzilla & Kong (Especially the former). The whisky thing stalled Mecha G enough/knocked its tail out to allow Godzilla the time to fuel Kong's axe.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Spoiler:
Regardless of the whiskey or who was winning or anything else, remember that Mechagodzilla was operating on its own agency. The argument can be made that a manmade machine overpowered Godzilla, but they couldn't get the thing running without Kong's help, and then immediately lost control of it once it did start running. This was nothing but another folly of man.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

When are we ever gonna lift the GvK spoiler rule? It seems like it’s been forever.
For Emperor and Empire!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Voyager wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:43 pm When are we ever gonna lift the GvK spoiler rule? It seems like it’s been forever.
When the movie's out on home media. It's not even out in Japan yet.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I like Manda's design in Singular Point.