Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I generally don’t find Kamata Kun to be cute, it’s supposed to be scary and disturbing how are we finding this thing cute?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ I just find Kamata Kun unintentionally hilarious, rather than disturbing. He looks so fucking stupid I just cannot take him seriously. :lol:

It adds to the comedic first half of the film for me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:56 pm I generally don’t find Kamata Kun to be cute, it’s supposed to be scary and disturbing how are we finding this thing cute?
IDK I thought it did well in being a visually disturbing creature, some people just find weird things cute I guess.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think it's the big eyes and expression. Kamata Kun is a weird and disturbing monster, but the general appearance could be seen as silly or cute to some.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'd call it both. It's cute and stupid looking, but the fact that it's there anyway, crawling through Tokyo bulldozing everything in its path, gives it this disturbing, unnatural quality. It's an abomination that shouldn't be. Is it a good look for Godzilla? Of course not, but I can agree with it as a one-off experiment.

And on a related note, I have a hard time using standard male pronouns for Shin Godzilla. That unnatural quality makes 'it' feel like the only way to go.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I definitely find Kamata-kun both cute and unsettling, as I do many strange and uncanny looking creatures that exist in the real world.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I won't mind seeing a movie or TV show where Mothra gets used as a bunching bag by the narrative. That damn bug has had everything handed to her on a platter for too long. I'm thinking like how the creative team behind Mortal Kombat has been treating Liu Kang for the past 2 decades.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri May 06, 2022 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:39 pm Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I won't mind seeing a movie or TV show where Mothra gets used as a bunching bag by the narrative. That damn bug has had everything handed to her on a platter for too long. I'm thinking like how the creative team behind Mortal Kombat has been treating Liu Kang for the past 2 decades.
Uh, apart from appearing in a lot of things due to popularity (Something you can easily say of King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla as well) how has Mothra had everything "handed" to her? In fact here is her roles in each Godzilla property over the last 20 years.

Godzilla Singular Point (2021)
-A blink and you miss is cameo of a bunch of mini Mothras.

Godzilla: King of Monsters (2019)
-Defeats Rodan in a tough battle it was losing up till the final blow, then gets blasted to dust by King Ghidorah.

Godzilla: The Planet Eater (2018)
-Makes no physical appearance, its silhouette helps breaks the MC out of a vision and that's it.

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
-Has a minor role assisting Godzilla in the final battle, gets turned into a burning near-corpse by Gigan before taking it out in a charge incapacitated for the rest of the fight.

Godzilla Tokyo SOS (2003)
-Shows up to try and stop Godzilla, gets her ass handed to her, her children and Kiryu come to lend a hand and brutally is killed making a sacrifice to protect her kids.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

godjacob wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:50 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:39 pm Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but I won't mind seeing a movie or TV show where Mothra gets used as a bunching bag by the narrative. That damn bug has had everything handed to her on a platter for too long. I'm thinking like how the creative team behind Mortal Kombat has been treating Liu Kang for the past 2 decades.
Uh, apart from appearing in a lot of things due to popularity (Something you can easily say of King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla as well) how has Mothra had everything "handed" to her? In fact here is her roles in each Godzilla property over the last 20 years.

-Defeats Rodan in a tough battle it was losing up till the final blow, then gets blasted to dust by King Ghidorah.

-Makes no physical appearance, its silhouette helps breaks the MC out of a vision and that's it.

-Has a minor role assisting Godzilla in the final battle, gets turned into a burning near-corpse by Gigan before taking it out in a charge incapacitated for the rest of the fight.

-Shows up to try and stop Godzilla, gets her ass handed to her, her children and Kiryu come to lend a hand and brutally is killed making a sacrifice to protect her kids.
Yeh, but her dying with a heroic sacrifice is still going easy on her.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:53 pm
godjacob wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:50 pm

Yeh, but her dying with a heroic sacrifice is still going easy on her.
Which even if true (I don't see how...dying, is going easy on someone) has only happened 2 times out of 5 appearances she has had.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mothra is undefeated. Death is only ever a temporary inconvenience for her, and she is always at the very least on the winning team. Her sacrifice always serves to aid her allies, whoever they may be.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:10 pm Mothra is undefeated. Death is only ever a temporary inconvenience for her, and she is always at the very least on the winning team. Her sacrifice always serves to aid her allies, whoever they may be.
Mothra is not undefeated she just wins in the end other than GMK which was victory in defeat.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Even if she doesn't live to see it, her goal is always accomplished, and her enemy's goal is always thwarted. So from a story POV, she's never definitely lost. Yeah, some of her victories are pyrrhic, but victories all the same.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Cope.
Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:38 am
Cope.
What do you mean?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:19 pm I think it's the big eyes and expression. Kamata Kun is a weird and disturbing monster, but the general appearance could be seen as silly or cute to some.
To me, everything about him screams sickly and disturbing. His rough skin, his blood-spurting gills, his big unblinking eyes and underdeveloped flippers, the fact that he doesn't roar (a touch of realism I really liked), etc.

He's an equal mix of realistic animal and hideous, unnatural abomination against science. And in my and a lot of other people's opinions, he only gets better and scarier from there...
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

You know, I usually try not to judge unpopular opinions too much... but not gonna lie, this one's kinda weird. :|
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spuro wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:07 pm
You know, I usually try not to judge unpopular opinions too much... but not gonna lie, this one's kinda weird. :|
Sounds like man's got a hate boner for the poor clothes-eater.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:36 am Even if she doesn't live to see it, her goal is always accomplished, and her enemy's goal is always thwarted. So from a story POV, she's never definitely lost. Yeah, some of her victories are pyrrhic, but victories all the same.
Mothra has never lost only if you look at the stroy ilas one big fight. She always won the big battles and yes her goals are the ones that get carried about but if you watch Mothra vs Godzilla for example Godzilla won round 1.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:43 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:36 am Even if she doesn't live to see it, her goal is always accomplished, and her enemy's goal is always thwarted. So from a story POV, she's never definitely lost. Yeah, some of her victories are pyrrhic, but victories all the same.
Mothra has never lost only if you look at the stroy ilas one big fight. She always won the big battles and yes her goals are the ones that get carried about but if you watch Mothra vs Godzilla for example Godzilla won round 1.
Yeah I don't buy this argument personally. Saying Mothra wins even if she dies cause what she fought for won means "Mothra wins cause the protagonist humans/Kaiju generally win in these films" which is a weird way to call her a winner.