Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Voyager »

Detoroyah shouldn’t return.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:29 pm Millennium Films have aged the worst. Especially Megaguirus.
TBH the Millennium series (aside from GMK) don't feel like movies that have any passion behind them. They only seem to exist becuase Toho just wanted more movies every December to sell Bandai toys.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I actually think the Millennium films have aged better than (most of) the Heisei films.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Spuro wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:19 pm I actually think the Millennium films have aged better than (most of) the Heisei films.
I think the Heisei films get a bad rep because SpaceGodzilla isn't that good of a film. I think Mothra is the other one people drag up but I'd say the Heisei series is kinda strong when you break them down.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:31 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:19 pm I actually think the Millennium films have aged better than (most of) the Heisei films.
I think the Heisei films get a bad rep because SpaceGodzilla isn't that good of a film. I think Mothra is the other one people drag up but I'd say the Heisei series is kinda strong when you break them down.
It's not just Spacegodzilla. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla 2 are both among the bottom ten worst films in the franchise alongside Spacegodzilla (before the anime trilogy, I'd even go as far to say bottom five), and I don't think Battle for Earth is far behind them. And then there's the Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy further souring the 90's Heisei experience.

G2K was a huge breath of fresh air. A Godzilla film that actually felt like it had effort put into it, something we hadn't gotten since the 80s.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:35 pm
I think the Heisei films get a bad rep because SpaceGodzilla isn't that good of a film. I think Mothra is the other one people drag up, but I'd say the Heisei series is kinda strong when you break them down.
It's not just SpaceGodzilla. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla 2 are both among the bottom ten worst films in the franchise alongside SpaceGodzilla (before the anime trilogy, I'd even go as far to say bottom five), and I don't think Battle for Earth is far behind them. And then there's the Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy, further souring the 90's Heisei experience.

G2K was a huge breath of fresh air. A Godzilla film that actually felt like it had effort put into it, something we hadn't gotten since the 80s.
What about Destoroyah? You didn't mention that one.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:55 pm

I think the Heisei films get a bad rep because SpaceGodzilla isn't that good of a film. I think Mothra is the other one people drag up, but I'd say the Heisei series is kinda strong when you break them down.
It's not just SpaceGodzilla. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla 2 are both among the bottom ten worst films in the franchise alongside SpaceGodzilla (before the anime trilogy, I'd even go as far to say bottom five), and I don't think Battle for Earth is far behind them. And then there's the Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy, further souring the 90's Heisei experience.

One or two films out of, like, seven isn't exactly a point in its favor.

I agree with the above; after recent rewatching of the films, Return and GvD were the only ones I truly enjoyed.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Theyre all pretty bad for one reason or another, honestly. Even pulling SG from the lineup doesn't change it.

And remove a few cool effects, a good score and a powerful ending and Destroyah is a pretty terrible movie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:31 pm

One or two films out of, like, seven isn't exactly a point in its favor.

I agree with the above; after recent rewatching of the films, Return and GvD were the only ones I truly enjoyed.
What about Biollante? Did you like that one too?

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I agree. I like G2000 and the Kiryu saga more than most of the Heisei films.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:45 pm Detoroyah shouldn’t return.
Absolutely agreed.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:32 pm Theyre all pretty bad for one reason or another, honestly. Even pulling SG from the lineup doesn't change it.

And remove a few cool effects, a good score and a powerful ending and Destroyah is a pretty terrible movie.
I can do that same thing to several movies and make them worse.

Added in 1 minute :
It's not just Spacegodzilla. King Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla 2 are both among the bottom ten worst films in the franchise alongside Spacegodzilla (before the anime trilogy, I'd even go as far to say bottom five), and I don't think Battle for Earth is far behind them. And then there's the Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy further souring the 90's Heisei experience.

I don't know if I old put MGII in the top ten worse but no way is Ghidorah that low of a film IMO.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cause it's better than the previously mentioned ones. Still not up to G2K's level, though, but at least it's... decent?

Added in 3 minutes 35 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:51 pm I don't know if I old put MGII in the top ten worse but no way is Ghidorah that low of a film IMO.
Eh... not counting the anime trilogy, it's one of my least favorites. Probably number three on my least liked live action Godzilla films.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If you can ignore the confusing nature of the time travel and accept Ghidorah's origin, King Ghidorah is easily the number three Heisei movie and above most of Millennium, too. It's really unique in a lot of ways, and puts a lot more effort into having something to say than the following entries do. And whether or not it makes total sense or is perfectly executed, I like the time travel. That's something no other Godzilla movie has ever played with, so it stands out. There are also some excellent effects (Mecha-King Ghidorah is one of Toho's best designs and suits) and (even if it's largely recycled) a solid Ifukube score.

I'm also that guy who loves the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy. They aren't good movies, but I just really appreciate that Toho made any effort at all to give Mothra more films of her own. The late '90s are kind of overlooked as a very interesting time in kaiju history.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The time travel and Ghidorah's origins is definitely a huge factor, but the writing is extremely weak in other aspects of the film as well. It's also uncomfortably nationalistic.

MKG is pretty cool, I'll give the movie that. And the miniatures in the final battle are great. But... eh. Good effects in the final battle aside, I don't really see much to like about this entry. Sure it has something to say, but the script is so awful that it fails to get its message and themes across effectively anyway. Without a doubt it's the worst written Godzilla film. Even the Tristar and Legendary films are better written than it.

As a movie it's a better than Spacegodzilla, at least.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bringing it back to my prior statement about the Millennium films, the only ones i think that have aged well are GMK and the Kiryu Saga. Anyways, onto the 90s, I really like GvKG and GvMG2, and I’d even say I like GvD. Despite all their flaws and their relatively poor aging, I still find them enjoyable. GvM and GvSG not so much though.

Yeah GvKG is kinda nationalistic.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

mikelcho wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:39 pmWhat about Biollante? Did you like that one too?
Wasn't a fan. It tried to send a poignant message about genetic engineering while simultaneously emulating a James Bond movie, and failed in both regards.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I still don't understand what's so nationalist about GvsKG. The whole reason everything happens is because of Japan's overblown capitalism (and disregard for other nations interest, hmm sounds familiar) in the future, which causes the other nations to band together to destroy Japan. In the present, capitalism (at the behest of Shindo, who's totally a Make Japan Great Again type) also creates a more threatening Godzilla. Seems like more of an anticapitalist film than a pro-nationalist one imo.
Besides the American soldiers getting stomped out by Godzilla (which Omori explained was just because he wanted to see the Americans lose for once) what exactly makes Vs. King Ghidorah so nationalistic?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GxMG is better all but one (maybe two) of the Heisei series.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:09 am I still don't understand what's so nationalist about GvsKG. The whole reason everything happens is because of Japan's overblown capitalism (and disregard for other nations interest, hmm sounds familiar) in the future, which causes the other nations to band together to destroy Japan. In the present, capitalism (at the behest of Shindo, who's totally a Make Japan Great Again type) also creates a more threatening Godzilla. Seems like more of an anticapitalist film than a pro-nationalist one imo.
Besides the American soldiers getting stomped out by Godzilla (which Omori explained was just because he wanted to see the Americans lose for once) what exactly makes Vs. King Ghidorah so nationalistic?
While I basically agree with your stance, I find the movie a little more ambivalent on the subject than you do. It's primary villains are, after all, foreigners out to undermine Japan's economic prosperity - though, as you say, the mechanics behind that prosperity are also being critiqued.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.