Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by tbeasley »

Ivo-goji wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 amLike the lead scientist pushed his men to the point of mental breakdown and endangered all of their lives
Only Yoshio Tsuchiya's character seemed to have a problem with it. Plus it wouldn't be a Tsuchiya character if he wasn't crazy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah it was more the effects of the radioactive storm and extreme heat that was creating the tension within the research team. That and the sickness that was spreading amongst them.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:32 am Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I hate it when fans “shit” on certain eras or films as a whole. Sure, I don’t really like SOG. But I still think there’s a high degree of artistic talent present on that staff. Even if the suit doesn’t look good, it’s still 10,000x better than anything I could make. So I really respect the artistry that went into the tokusatsu style.

I don’t think you have to like the SPFX or even the film itself. But some fans act arrogant and disrespectful, and I get the impression they think they could have done better. To be clear, this doesn’t come from this board. This is a response to certain you tubers who claim to be fans yet very rarely have anything positive to say about the films. I’m also not trying to gatekeep, more so just pointing out it doesn’t make sense to me to be a “fan” of something you clearly don’t enjoy.

Edit: post wasn’t about SOG, just used it as an example.
Quoting because I agree and also to prevent this post from having been next-paged.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

Minilla is the best son of godzilla
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Godzilla X Mechagodzilla Main Theme is one of the best themes post ‘75.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 am Godzilla X Mechagodzilla Main Theme is one of the best themes post ‘75.
Wrong thread, Voyager

This is the “unpopular Godzilla opinions” thread, not the “absolute best, objectively superior Godzilla opinions” thread
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's a toss-up for me between GMK and GxMG for the best Millennium Godzilla score. I prefer GxMG's compositions and orchestration but I think GMK's score is just a tiny bit better-tailored to match what's happening on screen.

I like Oshima's other Godzilla scores, too, but GxMG benefited from being performed by a symphonic orchestra, which really made that score sound much more powerful than her others.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I enjoy both. Honestly, for a lot of Godzilla scores it comes down to my favorite tracks from each film going head to head against each film. Its hard for me to pick an entire score lol. Godzilla has a rich musical tradition and its one of the things I'm most proud of as a fan. People can try to discredit Godzilla, but they can't make a good faith argument that the music is bad.

Added in 1 minute 25 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:08 am
Voyager wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:16 am Godzilla X Mechagodzilla Main Theme is one of the best themes post ‘75.
Wrong thread, Voyager

This is the “unpopular Godzilla opinions” thread, not the “absolute best, objectively superior Godzilla opinions” thread
Man that horn(?) has MASSIVE tone.

Added in 3 minutes 19 seconds:
This may be an unpopular opinion. This is currently my favorite track to appear in a Godzilla film. It just makes me feel and think about so much, none of it within the context of the film. I love the rise and fall of the strings in the background.

Last edited by shadowgigan on Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I really hope you're right about it just being a title theme instead of Godzilla's theme. If it was the latter, it may just be my least favorite.

Added in 24 seconds:
For context, it's been 4 years since I saw GxMG

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 am It's a toss-up for me between GMK and GxMG for the best Millennium Godzilla score. I prefer GxMG's compositions and orchestration but I think GMK's score is just a tiny bit better-tailored to match what's happening on screen.

I like Oshima's other Godzilla scores, too, but GxMG benefited from being performed by a symphonic orchestra, which really made that score sound much more powerful than her others.
The GMK theme mixes together horror and sort of "grander" while also incorporating a lot of fantastical elements, like the bells(?) and and low almost choir like parts.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Between GMK Godzilla and Kiryu, I honestly don't care much about the Ghost Godzilla concept as I feel we basically have already had it and both of them were more interesting than a possession plot.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Out of the 6 Millennium films, I divide them into two equal groups.

Schlock:
Godzilla X Megaguirus
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla: Final Wars

Above Average to Great:
Godzilla 2000: Millennium
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla

That’s my general opinion of the era.
For Emperor and Empire!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm Between GMK Godzilla and Kiryu, I honestly don't care much about the Ghost Godzilla concept as I feel we basically have already had it and both of them were more interesting than a possession plot.
To me the 90s Ghost Godzilla concept sounded the best. Would have liked if that script had closed out Heisei
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:07 pm Out of the 6 Millennium films, I divide them into two equal groups.

Schlock:
Godzilla X Megaguirus
Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.
Godzilla: Final Wars

Above Average to Great:
Godzilla 2000: Millennium
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack
Godzilla X Mechagodzilla

That’s my general opinion of the era.
Yeah, that seems about right to me. I have some big issues with Against Mechagodzilla, but it's solidly of a higher tier than any of the three in your "Schlock" group.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Pretty much agree with that, too, although 1) I preferred GxM to G2K the last time I watched both, and 2) I wouldn't classify any of them, or even any Godzilla movie, as "schlock." But that's an unpopular opinion I've already shared in this thread so I won't repeat myself.

My IMDb ratings for them are GMK (6), G2K and GxMG (5), GxM (4, could be 5), SOS & Final Wars (4). IMO 4 is about as low as you can go before you get into true bad movie territory, 6 is firmly in the low-end of "good," etc. And I only use the IMDb scale because it's a convenient way to keep track of my basic reaction to the hundreds of movies I've watched.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that separation of the Millennium series as well, with the caveat that I'm one of the rare individuals here who really likes Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla; and Godzilla 2000 and GMK both rank among my top five favorite Godzilla movies.

When I like the Millennium series, I really like it, so it seems.

If I had to rank them as Teresawa did, based on what I have them rated on letterboxd: GMK (8), G2K (7), GxMG (7), Tokyo SOS (5), GxM (4), Final Wars (3).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I also agree but with stipulation is Final Wars is FANTASTIC schlock. Like the kind of schlock made to the point it both is fun to watch and not being schlock and is so competent and presents its bullshit in a way that actually goes around to actually working.

RIP Evan.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Any topic where a Godzilla film is intensely debated is one I will instantly shy away from, especially if it is a toxic "discussion" centered on some ultimately immaterial aspext of the film.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm
What is your sig from?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 pm What is your sig from?
This early King Kong vs. Godzilla trailer:

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:42 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:37 pm What is your sig from?
This early King Kong vs. Godzilla trailer:

KingGoji looks so different and badass there, I love it. Don't belive I've seen it.