Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I hate the Godzilla v Kong war backstory of GVK. Like a lot.

It makes no sense no matter how many times I read the novelization what exactly it was. The movie itself keeps bringing it up but has added nothing to really justify having it. It needlessly murkies Godzilla's morality and only makes the timeline of the Hollow Earth exit, Godzilla's species orgin, adn the rest of Monsterverse history more confusing. And in general, it just SHOULDN'T be there. Godzilla attempting to assert his authority against another Alpha kaiju as Kong refuses to kneel is a perfect excuse for a fight.

It literally feels like they thought they should justfiy the cave painting tease from KOTM (which is stupid because KOTM didn't go on to explain how the cave paintings in KSI were a sign that "Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are destined to fight") and a bad nod to the original rivalry.

I really think I'd like GVK better if it wasn't hanging over the film

RIP Evan.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

If they’re really going this route, i hope they expand all the lore established in the next films

It’d all too interesting and unexplored not to be used
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pm I'll take an over the top/ridiculous matrix fu human plot over one I cannot even half pay attention to out of boredom. There's a slow burn and then there is actually forgetting to put on a fire at all. Put a gun to my head and I could not name a single human character from Destroy All Monsters, least in its absurd way the human cast of Final Wars left an impression on me. Least I could name them, there is zero intrigue with the plot of Destroy All Monsters. The heroes are bland (Hurts that we had much better space-themed heroes in Invasion of the Astro Monsters beforehand) and the villains really felt like "insert alien invader race #54" with no impression left from them. The Xilien leader's ability to chew all the scenery least gave him a distinct personality. It was a by the numbers Showa alien invasion plot that really felt flat to what came before and what would come after with say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

And as Kaiju goes, for all the Kaiju stuck with two second squash fights against Godzilla in GFW least they were given action. Baragon, Varan and too many others may as well have been background cut outs for their contributions to things and while the final fight with Ghidorah was plenty of fun it was a touch too one sided for my liking making it feel like an anti-climatic mugging than an epic final showdown. Conversely Monster X/Gigan vs. Godzilla/Mothra might be one of my fav fights of the Millennium films.
Not to prove goji89 right, but.... fine. You're spouting heresy, but you at least put together a passable case for it. I even find myself agreeing with a point or two, there, so that's something. So you've avoided being dragged into the back of the forum (which would be, like, the SHMA thread, I guess?) and beaten with a GINO VHS.

...for today.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I tried to watch DAM the other day, didn't go well. Considering I watched Hedorah the other day, I'd say that doesn't bode well for the film in my eyes. Vs. Gigan and Terror of MechaGodzilla have become my go to Showa films aside from the original in recent years.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 am
godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 pm I'll take an over the top/ridiculous matrix fu human plot over one I cannot even half pay attention to out of boredom. There's a slow burn and then there is actually forgetting to put on a fire at all. Put a gun to my head and I could not name a single human character from Destroy All Monsters, least in its absurd way the human cast of Final Wars left an impression on me. Least I could name them, there is zero intrigue with the plot of Destroy All Monsters. The heroes are bland (Hurts that we had much better space-themed heroes in Invasion of the Astro Monsters beforehand) and the villains really felt like "insert alien invader race #54" with no impression left from them. The Xilien leader's ability to chew all the scenery least gave him a distinct personality. It was a by the numbers Showa alien invasion plot that really felt flat to what came before and what would come after with say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.

And as Kaiju goes, for all the Kaiju stuck with two second squash fights against Godzilla in GFW least they were given action. Baragon, Varan and too many others may as well have been background cut outs for their contributions to things and while the final fight with Ghidorah was plenty of fun it was a touch too one sided for my liking making it feel like an anti-climatic mugging than an epic final showdown. Conversely Monster X/Gigan vs. Godzilla/Mothra might be one of my fav fights of the Millennium films.
Not to prove goji89 right, but.... fine. You're spouting heresy, but you at least put together a passable case for it. I even find myself agreeing with a point or two, there, so that's something. So you've avoided being dragged into the back of the forum (which would be, like, the SHMA thread, I guess?) and beaten with a GINO VHS.

...for today.
That's a punishment? That sounds like an extremely fun time for me. But I must ask would it be the front or back of the VHS tape? You see Its important, because if its the front than I'm being beat with 98 Zilla's eyeball but if its the back I'm being beat with Joe Siegel while 98 laughs

Though I must admit I'm dissapointed it wouldn't be the Godzilla 1998 Monster Edition release, I thought a fellow TKer would deserve at least that

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:37 am I tried to watch DAM the other day, didn't go well. Considering I watched Hedorah the other day, I'd say that doesn't bode well for the film in my eyes. Vs. Gigan and Terror of MechaGodzilla have become my go to Showa films aside from the original in recent years.
I congratulate your taste. G vs Gigan is a good one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Honestly the main thing that I remember about Godzilla vs. Gigan is the kung fu girlfriend in it and just saying "why isn't this movie about her!?" to myself lol

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm Honestly the main thing that I remember about Godzilla vs. Gigan is the kung fu girlfriend in it and just saying "why isn't this movie about her!?" to myself lol
You sicken me....

How in the holly corn fuck can you not remember the hippie Corn guy?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:14 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm Honestly the main thing that I remember about Godzilla vs. Gigan is the kung fu girlfriend in it and just saying "why isn't this movie about her!?" to myself lol
You sicken me....

How in the holly corn skreeonk can you not remember the hippie Corn guy?
Cause given the time the film was made, I assumed all the cast were hippies. He was just the most open lol

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:21 pm
You sicken me....

Cause given the time the film was made, I assumed all the cast were hippies. He was just the most open lol
Such bigotry.

You have a problem with closet hippies bro? Did the openly corn guy hippie offend you?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 pm

You sicken me....

Such bigotry.

You have a problem with closet hippies bro? Did the openly corn guy hippie offend you?
To be fair...

Would this not concern you?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:27 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:24 pm

Such bigotry.

To be fair...

Would this not concern you?
No, because I'm not offended with tin foiled wrapped corn bro.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tbeasley wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:03 pm
Kung fu girlfriend>generic dude with art skills.

Which by the way, I think we could use a monster or two of his for KWCE lol

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MonsterVerse lore is almost as bad as Bayformers lore. Constantly adding new stuff that completely contradicts stuff already established in previous films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm MonsterVerse lore is almost as bad as Bayformers lore. Constantly adding new stuff that completely contradicts stuff already established in previous films.
Therefore, the Showa lore while being quite confusing whether or not a movie is canon is far more coherent, and better.
For Emperor and Empire!

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 pm MonsterVerse lore is almost as bad as Bayformers lore. Constantly adding new stuff that completely contradicts stuff already established in previous films.
In the first Transformers the Allspark chose Earth through chance and fate, the Allspark created the Transformers and fueled cybertron, In TF2 it turned out the planet has the Sun Harvester, the tomb of the original primes, the Matrix, the Seekers, and is where the Fallen was defeated, in TF3 it turns out Sentinel was supposed to meet there with Megatron so they could harvest Earth's resources meaning they knew about it, Cybertron is destroyed by the collapsing portal, in TF4 its where the Quints harvested metal to build the Transformers, thus establishing them as the creators contradicting the Allspark and "Before time began there was the cube we don't know where it came from", in TF5 we find that Quintessa is REALLY the one who did it with her staff of creation and Earth in Unicron the Destroyer, Cybertron is still around as a dead world

I get what you are going with but Bayformers is an a entirely different league of retconium

This isn't retconium, this is extreme retconium

By comparison MV lore is relatively simple
Spoiler:
Titans evolve, an event happens on the Earth that causes radiation levels to plummet, most titans go underground, the Kongs evolve and try to kill off the Gojis and lose with Kong's parents fleeing to Skull island as one of the last members of their species, Ghidorah arrives and Goji fights him off till Ghidorah falls into the Ice, the Prime MUTO infects the only other Goji with MUTO eggs, the events of 2014
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

godjacob wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:32 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:23 pm Godzillas revenge is a skreeonking masterpiece of film making but WotG is mediocre?

Man this fandom is full of crap sometimes and no wonder it has the reputation it has.
Come on, goji. We never used the word masterpiece. That's reserved for films that deserve it.

Like Final Wars.
On the subject of unpopular opinions here.

Final Wars>Destroy All Monsters.
This is probably the wrongest opinion I've seen in my life.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DAM doesn't actually get good until the humans finally try shutting down the Kilaak base. Final Wars actually benefits from being an absolutely fun film, beginning to end, monsters or no monsters on screen.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:28 am DAM doesn't actually get good until the humans finally try shutting down the Kilaak base. Final Wars actually benefits from being an absolutely fun film, beginning to end, monsters or no monsters on screen.
"Fun" is completely subjective. Personally, I find the rhythm of Final Wars far too monotonous to be particularly fun.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.